MK5 REVO, yes or no ?

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by MKVGti, Oct 11, 2006.

1. MKVGti New Member

Brand new to forum today so be gentle.
    Back to VWs after 18 months enjoyable Civic type r ownership but MKVGti200ps coming on Saturday and would like some real life feedback on the REVO remap please.

Alan Fishburn (Golf centre, Darlington) done the REVO remap to my MK4 20V T and was excellent. Dead reliable and much, much quicker tha std (also had forge DV).

Heard good things about the REVO for the MK5, was looking at around 260bhp and had been told that mpg stays the same when taking it easy (when family is in the car) very much like the Mk4.

Anyone help?

Cheers!

2. Seraph Banned

Welcome to forum firstly.

From what ive heared, those revo-ing their mk5s, are very pleased with it. There are a few on here with mk5s, and Gillim is proabably the authority on this matter of revoed mk5s.

3. gillm

gillm ***** User

yes it is very good you will only get that power with a turbo back milltek and revo stage 2 which i have , been on the car for around 5k now , make the gti that little bit better ! nice and crisp not too harsh like some maps and you can turn it off . mpg is good too on a run i can get 38 and high 20's around town , but if you give it some stick then it goes down to scary mpg . all in all very worth while . any morehelp required then just ask .

4. MKVGti New Member

Thanks gents.

The remap is about a far as the budget will stretch for now, after purchasing the car (and a house move in Aug, ouch) so had only planned this for now.

Will the REVO give decent gains without the Exhaust and does a panel filter change help at all or are the OE ones good enough? What real life bhp should I expect?

From a warranty point of view Im not sure how much of dim view vw would take of panel filter....

I was also told that REVO can be set at different boost levels and can be pushed to level 7 or 8 as long as you use Super U giving around 285bhp, is this right?

To be honest 250/260bhp would be sufficient at least for now, just to give me that little more under the loud pedal than the old Civic without the overly frantic nature of the CTR, but with the sturdy feel and great image that comes with a VW Golf GTi....

The car is shadow blue with 17s on at the minute, can you get replica 18" Monzas yet? The car is crying out for these...

Cheers!

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

with out a exhuast im sure you will see 240 max mate , leave the filter alone vw 1 is ok . you can change the boost on revo select which i have but i will never see 285 bhp as the car is at the mo .

6. MKVGti New Member

Cheers.

Picked the car up on Sat all is well and the car is everything I hoped it would be as I handnt even driven the MV5 Gti before hand.
    Amazing performance and refinement. A fun car without comprimises on ride etc.

Suppose 500 is still good value for an extra 40 bhp, I would guess from this that a lot of the figures kicking around for the 18T Revos like S3s (265bhp) etc are a bit optimistic ?

240bhp is not too wild so I reckon the reliablilty should be spot on too. Think I will go for the 5hr trial on Sat.

Is the trial 5hrs driving time or 5hrs flat?

Thanks

Paul

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

i would run it in for a few k before doing snything and avoid the free trial as people have said it will go back to less then std power !

8. MKVGti New Member

Thanks matey.

Pleased with the car it the minute so will probably leave alone until the boredom sets in (if that ever happens).

Might invest in 18" Monzas instead if I can find some for the right money.., spend the money b4 the wife does !

9. mk1steve Forum Member

lovely thats the spirit:lol: :lol:

10. ianb Forum Member

As Gillm states most tuners will quote 235-245 on the MK5.

The turbo will be limited to output hence 250-260 if your lucky with an exhaust change. I know haven seen a few MK5's on the RR days that the majority mapped produced around 240ps.

As for the S3 it uses a totally different turbo and manifold...the S3 is a 20V unit whereas the MK5 is now 16v. The new FSI unit in my experience is far more responsive low down.

Ian

11. MKVGti New Member

I could live with 240 bhp, but Im amazed at REVOs claims that a simple remap on the MK5 can give 265 when it is apparent that this isnt the case.

To be honest 250 would be nice but 240 is ok. In my opinion its what the MK5 should be anyway, Reno, Ford, Vauxhall have all raised the bar wrt bhp, all producing hatches over well over the 200bhp mark and with the chassis and vw build quality of the MK5 then I reckons its crying out for it.

The trial would make my mind up but Gillm has heard that the car can lose power against std after the trial period, thats a worry.

Has any of you boys tried the trial or should I cut the chat and just get it done?

Cant help think how good the results were on the Mk4.....

Cheers

12. gillm

gillm ***** User

my advise is drive a revo car and don't get a trail on yours . where did you see the revo claims for 265 bhp ?

13. gillm

gillm ***** User

14. MKVGti New Member

Gillm, got the 265figure from a REVO agent, but the REVO site from the link is pretty clear as 255.
    Its the torque thats going to give the fun factor for me and 250bhp ish is plenty to put through the Golf chassi in my opinion.

Ive heard that you rarely rev the car hard once its REVOd anyway as the torque gives a real shove in the back anyway, taking away the need to rev the nuts of it.

May be able drive a REVOd MK5 so will try this instead of the trial.

Noticed the Torque goes up from 207 to 285, do you reckon the car with stand up to this kind of torque hike ? (hope it does !!)

Cheers matey

15. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Mk5 REVO - no

MK5 Custom Code - yes

:p

16. MKVGti New Member

Richard.
    Whats u r experience with REVO vs Custom code on the MK5? Im keeping an open mind for now (APR ??) and very interested in a different perspective. Ive not had any experience of custom code. Are they they as `big` and experienced as REVO. How do they differ?

Ive had good experience with REVO on my MK4 but wouldnt rule out others.

Been talking to 3 different REVO installers and although all rate the REVO product (no surprises then) they have different views on actual bhp, whether or not you should use SUper unleaded or not etc etc.

GillM, had some interesting feedback on your point that the car can end up with `less than stock` power after the 5hr trial has expired.
    All 3 of the installers claim that this is down to 2 factors.

1- The car will always feel flat after such a hike in bhp/torque.

2- The car will return to the original map and takes around 50 miles to `re-adapt` to your driving style. They explained that like many new cars, thee have an adaptive brain and once returned to stock or `flashed`, the car will feel different for a short time.

Whats you view on this ?

Cheers boys

17. gillm

gillm ***** User

driven both ?

18. gillm

gillm ***** User

mate the car can handle much more i think . im waiting for a new manifold and turbo upgrade :)

19. MKVGti New Member

Have had to park the REVO idea for now.
    I am in dispute with the VW dealers over some remedial work they promised to pay for through my local dealer in Newcastle. They are other `anomilies` which need to be resolved and I have VW UK helping out to get this sorted.
    P!ssed off to say the least as the whole idea of using a VW franchise was to take the pain out of buying a second hand Gti.

I may have to exercise my right to return the car within the `30 day satisfaction` clause, the problem will be getting them to replace it for the money I paid as it was very well priced.
    Hopefully VW UK can do the business.

Cheers

20. gillm

gillm ***** User

i had probs with my dealer , ring vw uk and then they will bend over backwards . still a pain in the ass tho i know