Modz & Insurance..do u tell em??

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by J_mk3, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

yeah but as valver paul said insurance companies do not like paying out in accidents so if theres anyway they can get out of it they will, and a good get out way would be saying well you didn't tell us you had those modifications.... your policy is void... no payout...

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

tell them. some companies wont put the premium up for things like wheels. others will. If they do find someone else that only puts it up for things that make a difference.

3. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

what are brentacre like for young golf drivers like me then with a few mods? ;)

4. J_mk3 Forum Member

*******TUBTHUMPED*******

...or mayb we shud call u God?
    i didnt ask u a thing mate...just because you didnt act when you should have..and probably feel guilty, doesnt mean you have to start wishing death on people does it??????
    who do u think you are?? accidents happen everyday, same thing could have happend if that geeza was in a 1.2 nova.
    if you read the question i posted at the start you might realise that i didn't in anyway mention that i was not going to tell the insurance company if i was to make a mod, i just wanted to know how mods effected the cost. its very sad that the woman died, but if you gota point to make, make it with some respect..mayb u shud 'take it easy' rather than typing complete crap :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

i'd calm down too mate tubthumped is very well liked and respected here.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

It is not as black and white as that!!!!

:clap:

7. Joe_Gti Forum Member

err

yes it is ?

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

No

For instance, you find proof of an insirance company not paying out for a car having an undeclared eyebrow spoiler?

Or make it a little more grey, a driver fitted with GTI vented brake discs ;)

9. J_mk3 Forum Member

yeh thats wat i mean..im a little unclear...putting a sticker on the car..or cutting the shelf and putting in 6x9's is a modification from the original by definition...isn't it? so do u need to tell them?

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

Most things the insurance companies wouldnt care about really.
    Mechanical changes such as suspension, engine etc.

I wouldnt declare mods such as the brakes i noted above, as no one would know they neve left factory like that.

Dont be daft and no tell them about major stuff, just use your common sense.

Dont be led into believing you need to tell them EVERYTHING!!

11. essee Forum Member

I used to work for Admiral Insurance (for my sins) and unfortunately, the sales department don't work together with the claims department.

In sales, when a caller had non-standard items fitted, such as wheels, suspension and spoilers, we had to refer them to our team leader. The team leader would take one look at the details and load the premium with 25%. Not very fair, I know. I remember asking my supervisor why this was done, and she basically definied the boy racer type, and said that if they fit such items, they think their car is faster and are more likely to drive faster, etc.

She obviously doesn't realise that some of us "boy racers" or vehicle enhancing artists (nice wording), aren't all heavy-footed street racers...

And another reason why wheels and suspension, etc make a big difference is mainly because of the theft factor. Some insurance companies believe the cars are more likely to be stolen, for these after-market goodies.

Of course, not all insurance companies have the same policies! This might be the case only for Admiral!

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I declared my wheels/steering wheel/exhaust/filter/lights to my insurance (Liverpool Victoria and they put my insurance up by 15. No engine mods, though, which they specifically asked me, 'cos that would have altered it by more.

With those sort of goodies (which probably make the car look cared-for/valuable), I should think it would make it more attractive to a thief.

13. essee Forum Member

I shall be calling Liverpool Victoria, first thing in the mornin'!:p

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I called them (liverpool victoria) and said 'do I need to declare my mods' and they said 'we don't care unless the mods enhance the performance'. Then I said, 'so what about alloys and my nice interior' and they said, 'its all covered as long as you have proof that they were fitted to your car'.

I was told this both times I phoned them :clap:
    Edited by: rubjonny

15. drew Forum Member

Yes they would if they wanted to. Deemed a bodykit, thus boy racer.

Yes they would if they wanted to. Brake modification, thus boy racer.

Probably not.

Go and read the small print of your policy, you might be surprised at some of the 'we reserve the right to' clauses.

Declare everything, otherwise your insurance will be void and you are a liability to yourself and to others. I'm with tubthumped, and so is every other mature owner on here.

Insurance companies will do ABSOLUTELY everything they can do avoid a payout, particularly when that payout is large due to third party claims. Make sure your insurance is watertight or the third party will come after you.

Higher insurance is one of the inbuilt costs of doing mods to your car. If you can't afford it to insure it with mods, you can't afford to mod it.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

16. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

admiral piled on 65 to my premium for uprated suspension, 65!

it even says on my policy
    "modifications: suspension- not lowered" [:x]

suppose my coilovers will be left at highest setting then [:x]

17. drew Forum Member

Admiral are not an ideal company for modified cars in all honesty. Best for standard fare.

Cheers,

Drew.

18. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yeah, they were 450 cheaper than the next closest quote i had. that was for it completely standard.

dreading calling them to find out how much ABF will be. :lol: they'll prob refuse and i'll have to wait til next renewal [:s]

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They added on bugger all onto my policy for an exhaust, dropped suspension, and non-standard size alloy wheels....

20. GTi69 Forum Member

Admiral refused to insure me when i told them about my abf lump. HIC did though and i have declared EVERY mod to them.