More wood burner advice!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheSecondComing, Nov 15, 2010.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

I had a look down that http://www.topstak.co.uk/ place today, some nice fires there most over 800 ouch

he did say that a 4-5kw would be enough for a small sized house. The house is a 60s build with stone brick chimney, what would be needed to make it suitable for a wood burner?

I think the current fire is a maxi bumuda the bloke said about 1.5k to install one, dont think i'll ask them

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

altern8

you can always pop up and see mine, I live in Barry so 5 or 6 miles from Topstak.

3. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

I really want a wood burner but think we will just open up our 2 fire places to start with. I love the look of the burners, I found a red one the other day for 199 and I need it so much it hurts, but unfortunately with budgeting and trying not to buy things this xmas on credit I can't buy it. Maybe can get in new year sale as is wicked.

4. Claypole Forum Junkie

I'm cross that despite living in a house built by the "Coal board" it's now a smokless area... [:[]

so I'd have to buy a stupidly expensive one. [:^(]

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I want one aswell, got to fit one for someone next week in a big Georgian house then I really should save abit of money and sort one out for myself, so much wood to burn around here, plus I can pick up all the scraps from building sites which is what I did in the summer for outdoor fires at the weekend.

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

Cheers Gareth, I'll drop you a pm next week,

Are there any decent/cheap online stores to get one from? or any makes to avoid?

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

when I did my research, it seems the cheap ones are a no no due to workmanship etc.

others will just sya they're all fires in a box but if you look at how built the better brands are then you'll see.

I'd stick to Dovre, Jotul, Stovax, Clearview, pretty much any brand Topstak stock I guess

this:
    http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Buyers_Guide.html

should be a good guide on deciding what size you need. Then you can see whether you want wood only or multifuel etc. Then see what budget you have.

It is addictive mind:

Building Log stores
    Collecting wood
    sawing wood
    splitting wood
    storing wood
    bringing it in
    cleaning the ash

etc etc.

or you could just turn on a gas fire, but I enjoy it, it gives a sense of achievement lighting it up

8. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

A good tip for lighting quickly is a blow torch on the corner of an old dry pallet. That will go up in no time.
    Can you put paper in the domestic ones?

9. MR D Forum Member

Got ours off the bay 200 cosy fire 330,was not expecting much,but must say i am very surprised at the quality of the build,it`s made from virgin Australian cast,and i can`t fault it,glass stays clear ,chucks out an enormous amount of heat.
    Mate has a Morso squirrel and even he was impressed.
    I just chop some sticks into matchstick sized bit`s,and light it like that,as soon as there is some heat,it starts drawing,and is an inferno within mins.

And yeah it`s a bit of an addiction,got given a load of wood ,by a bloke up the road who replaced his roof,but built a huge wood store with some of it.

[​IMG]

Then last week got given 10 sq m of solid flooring,door frames etc,have used some of the decent solid ash i got in the house,and an Oak tree that my landlord cut down last year :)

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

never thought about a blow torch to get it started

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

on the servey our new house was in a smokless area im sure... but there is a house about 10 doors down with a coal fire as the chimney was giving it some the other night! so sod em! im having me burner next year!

12. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

We recently had ours fitted by www.justfitfires.co.uk (highly recommended for people in the London area).

If you look at their youtube page (linked on their site) the Franco Belge with a Chesney' limestone mantel is my actual fire :0)

And.. the "I see a silloutte of a Jan" was filmed by the guys while they were fooling around during the fitting/lining of the chimney... they obviously have bigger nads than me!

I need to find a good local firewood supplier - petrol station stock is naff and damp...

What do you guys use to chop the kindeling to matchstick size - and the logs to a smaller size for easier burning? An axe or something mechanical?

13. MR D Forum Member

I use an axe,but am an ex chef,so pretty good with sharp things

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

15. MR D Forum Member

Here is mine,not sure who made it,but it`s good

[​IMG]

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And a cheapie hatchet for kindling.
    I can't find the Super Splitting axe anywhere in the UK, was going to get my uncle one for xmas - well worth searching out though, if you need any convincing read this - http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81221 - 27 pages of "I'll never use another axe or maul again!" from both yank homeowners who use huge amounts of wood, and professional loggers!

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Yehhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa

[YOUTUBE]hhmKBDIAXd0[/YOUTUBE]

Or>

[YOUTUBE]GnZUkl0NC5A[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Their website says they are bringing out a new range of axes in 2011 - the X25 looks pretty identical to the super splitter....

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Have a look for "redneck wood splitter" on youtube - loads of seriously dangerous but very fun looking machines!

20. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ya, the spinnin flywheel one is crazy!:lol: