MOT day!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by letooms, Sep 17, 2007.

1. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

I am converting this fully to kjet now i.e, fuel pump and filter, fuel lines and the head and injectors.

So I can convert to 2.0, 16 valve? or just use the bottom end?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

best to check but would be easier to go 9A i think which is a 2.0 16v out of a corrado or audi (6A). A set of decent cams on a 9A and there isnt much difference to be fair. I just love the way ABF's deliver and they are also pretty indestructable and very good on fuel if run on digi 3.2 (mk3 stuff)

PS your only in 'ampshire', you can come check my mk2 out if it may help at all

3. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks that's really good of you! Whereabouts are you?

So depending on the year and injection type will dictate which bottom end I use?

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

You have a 1.8 8v at the moment and can hence swap a 2.0 8v block and pistons in to give you more capacity. If you want to go 16v however you obviously can't use the 8v head, so need the whole engine rather than just the bottom end.

Since both 8v and 16v engine came with K-Jet or Digi in various guises, you can use whatever injection system you want. If going 16v my choice would be to keep the Digi from the Mk3 as it's more efficient and gives you more control.

5. theboymike Forum Junkie

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well i think (dont quote me on it)

you can run an ABF on k-jet KR stuff by just swapping the engines and plugging in what was thier with the KR.

If you have old digi then 9A is the easier route.

I think, I only researched a bit as there was two mk2 doner cars i was looking at, one on a 89 plate and the other a 91 with CE2 which we went for in the end.

I live in sunbury on thames, which is basically junct 1 of the m3, easy peasy

7. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Right got some stuff done today it actually feels like i'm making progress again after yesterday faffing about with stupid little jobs.

So cleaned the loom in preparation for its install into the black Golf.

[​IMG]

That was the loom prior to be cleaned, I'm also going to rewrap it at some point before the engine goes in but for now I just want to make sure it is at least loosely fitted.

Here it is going back in

[​IMG]

Sorry about the bad phone pics

I am hoping that someone reading this might be able to help me with a couple of questions I have about the wiring?

First is this connection on top of the inlet. Not connected to anything at all I went to trace the wires and there was nothing there. Would this missing connection explain my erratic idle issue?

[​IMG]

Also (my apologies in advance for what could be a really stupid question) when I removed the old digi loom there was a massive ecu in the scuttle. The kjet system just has this one connection. Is this right? No sign of an ecu anywhere?

[​IMG]

Once this is done I then need to find a home for all these wires. I thought it was a case of plug and play but there are wires that now no longer have a connection. could this be because of the age difference of the two cars? One is an '85 I think (B reg) and the other is a '89 (F reg).

[​IMG]

I know where most of them go it's just the little connectors that are a PITA.

Anyway if anyone can answer my questions that would be great, if not thanks for looking anyway.

8. EZ does it Forum Member

The K-Jet 'ECU' should be in that cage in the scuttle, same as a Digi ECU. I'm pretty sure you need the ECU and a bracket that mounts it to the cage.

9. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

But that's the thing there was no ecu no wiring that leads to it. Nothing except for the connection to the cage of the ecu...

Weird thing is this engine has been running and driven for some time so I know it works...

Might have to stick a post in the electrical section

10. EZ does it Forum Member

Oh, I'm thinking 16v K-Jet! (that'll teach me to read the thread :lol: ) The ECU is actually just a spark controller, on the 8v K-jet the TCI unit on top of the cage coupled with the vacuum feed to the dizzy are all the control it uses!

If your using a 16v engine you'll need to get the 16v ignition loom, ECU, dizzy etc etc

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Good going, some solid effort going in there.

Where abouts are you in Hampshire?

12. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks! I know it isn't a no-expense spared type affair but This is a big project for me I've never done anything like this before.

I'm in Bordon, Hampshire. Whereabouts in Southampton are you?

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Just moved to Totton, from Calshot/Holbury area!

Try and get to some local meets, like SoVag, or the New Forest one on here. Loads of mk2 fans this way:thumbup:

14. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I'm planning to just need to get the car finished first! Do you go to many? How often do they meet up?

15. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I would normally go to SoVAG each month, and plan to go to the New Forest meets at least once a month (they meet twice a month I believe). I should make some meets very soon, end of the month most probably.

16. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Cool, It would be good to see your car in the flesh. Mine should be done by the end of this month if all goes to plan...

17. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

some minor wiring progress

Not much got done today physically despite exercising my brain trying to trace all of the wiring whilst converting to Kjet.

On the plus side I (may have) found 3 of the connections that I needed to connect however on the downside I have been unable to find where the Oil temp sender wire goes (what it connects to fusebox side).

[​IMG]

The same applies to the thermotime switch and a couple of other bits and pieces. I don't know whether it is because the donor car is an '85 with the slightly older looking mfa stalk and the project is '89 with the newer style mfa stalks?

Rubjonnys wiring guides have proven to be really helpful aside from a couple of queries I still have so any help would be appreciated.

Also can anyone tell me what this is?

[​IMG]

While i'm striping out the wires from their protective sleeving I think I might re-route the engine loom to tidy the bay up a little bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite the massive wiring related headache I now have I would still recommend this to anyone - it is a really good way to get familiar with your car. I could probably rebuild this ruddy car with my eyes shut now....I say probably...

18. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

[​IMG]

I always forget what this is - something to do with having the sidelights and dipped beam on? Either way, its not needed. I have just unplugged mine.

19. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. It wasn't fitted to the donor either so I guess I wont refit it.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dim dip resistor, unplug it and throw in the bin. apart from bringing dipped beam dimly with the sidelights, its other job is to set fire to your headlight loom after the wires rub thru on the chassis leg :lol:

if you look towards the top of the fusebox pic, note a 2 pin plug with a white/red wire, thisd i believe is the outside temp sensor plug. you should have something similar for the oil temp wire