MOT day!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by letooms, Sep 17, 2007.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

same as the other type then,thort as much so whats the other two for

edit,too quick to ask iv gone on the website all is explained

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Regardles of your worries, it's looking great - well done mate!

3. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Nearly there

Thank you to rubjonny and Neil for the advice i'll check that link out at some point tomorrow. I'm less concerned about the handbrake light and reverse light now as they wont fail the mot. I can sort those at some point next week if i run out of time.

Today was productive: Never made my own hard lines for the braking system before so it came as no big surprise today when I realised I had made them incorrectly...So I made all 3 of them again. Properly this time. Also fitted my goodridge braided hoses and gave the brake calipers a good going over.

Also realised along the way that my inner cv boot on the nearside has split so i'll have to do that before fridays mot.

Also fitted my rear number plate. Not very exciting but everyday she inches closer to being a whole car again.

Bit hacked off having to redo jobs that i've done but despite the steep learning curve I think i've really got to know Golfs on a whole other level. Haven't finished bleeding the brakes yet as it was to late and I was hungry so I'll have to finish them later.

Couple of pics of todays work (not much though as It was one of those days)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this was one of my flaring 'practice' runs.

[​IMG]

And another self indulgent picture of the clean shiny car....sorry. Although if you don't like looking at pictures of vw's you're probably a member of the wrong forum...

[​IMG]

4. nealey Forum Junkie

you wont need to sort the inner cv boot for the mot! It can only fail on the outers!

5. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Test Drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?! That would help - I really can't be bothered stripping it all again this week. Are you sure?

Tonight I re-bled the brakes until they were perfect, no leaks at all which was a massive relief given the nightmare I'd had making the brake lines about a million times...

Bolted the bumber on proper, fitted the front number plate torqued up the wheels and took her for a test drive.

Now the clutch was slipping which was a bit of a bummer I don't know whether it's the old clutch cable fitted or whether the clutch is just worn/contaminated but thats another job to the list.

Regardless tonight I remembered what this whole project was about - worth every single cut, bruise, blackeye (i'm not joking) sleepless night and every last penny i've spent on her over the past 3 years. Because i'd renewed as many parts as possible along the way or refurbed the rest it felt like a brand new 20 year old car. What an absolute joy.

Sorry i'll calm down now...

6. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

ace! well pleased for you well done.

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm no car MOT tester, but AFAIA, boots only fail if they can allow grease to get on the brakes and effect their performance, ie. outer CV boots. Inner CV and steering rack boots will pass from my experience even if split...obviously best to replace them asap.

Good luck with the MOT anyway, it's not going to fail on anything insurmountable I'm sure:thumbup:

8. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

I will get it changed but for a change I just want a break from working on it. I've really enjoyed 80% of the work but the last few weeks have been out of necessity rather than any desire to. Not the best way to work on a project.

The only thing not sorted is the reverse light but as others on here have said that's not an MOT failure either.

Clutch slipping is a pain - don't know whether a replacement cable might sort it as it wasn't slipping when it was fitted to the donor. But again that can wait until after the MOT.

9. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks! I'm so pleased it's nearly there now

10. Stu__8vgti Forum Member

Just read the whole thread, came out really nice credit to you for finishing your first project

Good luck with the MOT

Stu

11. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks! Another test drive tonight (drove it home in preparation for the MOT Friday) now sorted the clutch issue - cable was to tight so the clutch doesn't slip any more now it's adjusted properly. Getting nervous about the MOT now. Oh well i'll allow my self a small amount of post project smugness any how.

Time to start building the 2.0 now i suppose...

12. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

The big day

So the big day arrived - I was a nervous wreck this morning getting ready to drop the car off for MOT. The rebuild was done to the best of my ability and using new parts where finances allowed but there were some areas I still wasn't happy with entirely.

Emissions was the big issue as she is definitely over fuelling this was proved correct during the MOT itself. My saving grace was the tester. Only a VW man himself - he showed me his TSR'd mk2 golf sat in the car park the sheel was past repair but it looks like it will live on in his road going mk2 instead.

Either way it passed - there are few issues to resolve brought up during the test:

1. over fuelling (just a tune up)

2. the rear passenger handbrake is not as effective as it could be

3. rear brake pipes are a bit corroded but I have the rear goodridge hoses still to fit as I didn't get time before the MOT.

Other than that it drew a nice little crowd of mechanics when it arrived which was a nice feeling.

Anyway all done.

Can't believe it passed :thumbup:

I have to give massive thanks to Neil, rubjonny and anyone else that has given sound advice along the way. If it wasn't for this forum this would have cost me alot more.

Legends!

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Well done!!!!

14. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks!

15. smp1987 Forum Member

Nice one ben gets some pic up fo you out and about good stuff be you very happy

16. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks mate, will get some decent pics sorted next week. have to wait until wednesday now before i can afford to tax her. then she is booked in with the phirm wednesday morning so they can give her a tune up. really looking forward to that hopefully it will be straight forward

then i can give it a proper good valet ready for the winter

17. neil kaye Forum Junkie

your welcome ben

i still rekon you paid that mot man off though :lol:

18. nealey Forum Junkie

Good news on the pass!

19. smp1987 Forum Member

Update Dude Come on Come on!!!!

20. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Dude...