MOT day!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by letooms, Sep 17, 2007.

1. smp1987 Forum Member

looking good mate same end cap as me why are they green? that front grill sits very badly not much you can do there looking good with all its new parts not shore about the blue dash bulbs should be OEM green:thumbup: looks like a car naw good stuff

yer and wait till its all done till you clean it no point doing it twice

2. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks mate, I have no idea why the end caps are green - such a random colour to use.

I changed the blue dash bulbs for red today. Had to fit a new speedo cluster as my old one was knackered. Don't like the green bulbs. I know it's not oem but hey I like it. The heater will be going the same colour at some point too. I did think for a long while about a resto rather than what I have now but I always thought - what if it was a bit lower that would look better or if it had these wheels instead. I wouldn't keep it original just for the sake of it you know?

3. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Finished fitting/setting up the coilies today. Some pics of her stance now - scrubbing the weeds. It's actually not too bad at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it really. Long horrible day. I hate fitting suspension. Fact.

Thanks for looking

4. smp1987 Forum Member

nice man sitting low (were is the vw badge on the back?:o) still think the 4 spot grill black vw badge will set it off and gti badges on the back/front mean big bumper [:D]
    love them in black good stuff

5. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

You're going to hate this i'm sure...when it was being prepped in the paint shop I got them to weld the holes for the vw badge and the little lugs for the volkswagen and golf gti...:lol:

Also had the same done to the rear wiper. No wiper and no hole where it used to be...

Looks much cleaner now. Don't worry though I would never go the whole hog and have the number plate recess filled. That's just wrong:lol:

6. smp1987 Forum Member

i suppose it will help rust with no rear wiper but what happens when it gets dirty? maybe you could put a sticker on the back?

7. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Well one of my former jobs was a car valeter so I doubt it will get that dirty that I can't see out of the rear window. Besides the rear wiper never was much cop anyway...Just dead weight really.

8. smp1987 Forum Member

no way man I'm a car valeter too iv stopped for the winter naw just doing car on a saturday for naw i get what you mean my rear on my mk3 is crap

9. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Seriously?! That's weird. I keep thinking about going back into it - can't beat being your own boss plus cleaning loads of cool cars all day.

How long have you been doing it for?

10. smp1987 Forum Member

since may was cleaning my car one day my neighbour came up to me and said wow you always keep your car so nice here is 35 do my car inside and out wax took 2hrs so i thought this is easy money so i saved up and got all zymol wax and shampoo blah blah blah start going to people's houses went from there going to pick it back up next year get some proper cards done one weekend i did 4 cars took home silly money :thumbup:

11. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Well whoever told me that a digifant to Kjet conversion would be a simple case of plug and play was really, really talking out of their bottom.

On-going issues with the final few pre-mot jobs were driving me nuts and despite some forum members really going the extra mile for me and trying to help me diagnose the problem it wasn't happening.

So after tracing just about every last wire in the rear harness it turn out my 4 pin lift pump had a spare wire. So out that came. Had to strip the drivers side almost bare to get the wiring out. Same for the donor that gave up its 3 pin lift pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it all fitted up turned the ignition and fuel gauge now works! Thank god. What a day...I'm starting to get really sick of stripping my interior although I do have it down to a fine art now.

Remaining mot jobs are:

No reverse light

need to make up 2 hard lines for my brakes then bleed them all up

wire in my big bumper indicators

Nearly there now.

random - working in the dark picture

[​IMG]

Ps any one know what the piece of green tubing next to the wiring is? It looks white but that's just my nasty camera phone flash killing everything It comes from the rear of the car and travels the length of the inside and then appears in the engine bay not actually connected to anything. I was thinking it might be something to do with the sunroof drain?

[​IMG]

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

rear washer jet :)

13. smp1987 Forum Member

he doesn't need one he had the rear wiper smoothed :thumbup:

14. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

I wasn't sure what the tubing was for though - hence rubjonnys reply. I didn't want to remove it if was a drain for the sunroof or something...(it disappears up the c pillar)

15. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Coupe more bits done today

Sort one problem and create a whole new one - sorted out lift pump yesterday now I have a slightly erratic idle issue. Also can't connect handbrake up properly at the mo as the wiring layout is a bit different.

However did sort the big bumper indicators out and get them working and fitted my windscreen wipers and got my heated washer jets working.

Also gave her a clean but didn't get time to polish. Anway a couple of pics and a rubbish update for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nealey Forum Junkie

Just thought i would point out you dont need the reverse lights for the MOT!

To test the switch though bridge the connector with a piece of wire and see if the lights come on (ignition needs to be on obviously). If the lights come on the switch is faulty, if not there is a problem elsewhere!

Car is looking good btw!

17. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the compliment and heads up on the MOT. This car hasn't had an MOT for years i'm just getting nervous now as I booked the MOT tonight i'm panicking about all the things it might possibly fail on against the time I have to get the jobs finished.

18. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Its looking very good. I bet you cant wait for the mot.

19. neil kaye Forum Junkie

hes got the four wire switch tho,so which pins/colours does he bridge

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

red/black and blue/black
    or check http://www.brokevw.com for the pin numbers if the wire colours dont match