*MY HEAD IS IN A BIN*

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nez1978, Jan 17, 2004.

1. nez1978 Forum Member

God i'm gettin really narked off now. I either fix the car from this post, or my VW is going bye bye, coz i've had enough. Thought these things were supposed to be reliable.

I changed the thermostat coz the car was staying cool all the time, not useful for demisting windows. Not only was that an arse to get to coz i have power steering, but quite rightly i get an airlock. No problem. Try getting this airlock out for about oooh.....an hour, and it still not coming out. I'm getting really peeved off now fellas.

The car has to get right up to th red, before the radiator even thinks about getting warm, then it seems like water has to pass bout twice through the radiator before the fan comes on. I get the feeling there is not enough water in the car, coz the temp never comes down. I'm pouring 4l after 4l after 4l of water into the car (any hope of keeping 50% coolant has now gone forever) and it still keeps shooting it out all over the floor. I'm at my wits end now, Golf is going if it doesn't start playing ball.

Need a foolproof way of bleeding this water system, before i punch the bonnet or somethin. Has anybody ever had trouble with the radiators blocking up? Only aq thought. Oh and the water ain't getting into the car, coz its freezin in the car. grrrrrrrrr.

Help please.

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Have you tried flushing the system out with a hosepipe or a can of coolant flush?

3. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

what age of car?

4. nez1978 Forum Member

this car is a 1991 mk2 16v

I have flushed the system out in a 'kind of' way

Just been reading another thread about bypass valves causing an airlock to build up in the matrix

I had places to go today, bloody car, looks like i'll be undoing loads of joints and flushing the matrix out.

God i hate these jobs

And the car is red hot now too.

5. nez1978 Forum Member

Also the car is running at about 150 degrees (oil temp). i jus don't want the engine going pop or anythin while i'm frigging about

And while i'm here, the rev counter and mfa stopped working coz of a flat battery yesterday, whats the deal with pulling the fuse out? Which fuse? 16?

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

try bypassing the matrix and those stupid valves for now to see if it solves it

150 for oil temp is ridiculous, that's WAY too hot.

7. nez1978 Forum Member

yeah i realise this, i don't want damage in the engine.

So if these valves are stupid phat, does this mean u can quite happily do away with them and take em out the loop altogether.

I'm gettin really dubious about touchin this car now, coz i don't want a rod coming through the block or somethin

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I never had them on any of my cars, only the jetta (which I've never used)

9. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

is the system loosing water when it's over heating? i.e expansion tank boiling over

10. nez1978 Forum Member

yes the expansion tank is boiling over, i'm trying to keep it topped up, but yeah, its boiling over.

I just disconnected the radiator, and put a hosepipe through it, but i get the feeling its not going right the way across to where the temp sensor is. But i could be wrong.

And i disconnected thye matrix valve thingys. And when i took the plastic one off, the insides had fell to bits. Kind of like a plastic spirally thing. This can't be good, surely that would block the flow of water, and when i put a hosepipe through the matirx, i heard a movement of air. These valve thingys look like a waste of time, specially since my car is a late 16v mk2. If i had some copper pipe, i woulkd replace em.

if i can fill the car up now with enough colant, i will see how she runs.

11. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

worth a try but go buy a new expansion tank cap from gsf, only a fiver. worked to fix the over heating prb on my passat. seems to be common fault on cars with the later round type expansion tank.

12. Golden Forum Junkie

I can't believe the number of people on here who get air locks.

I only ever get airlocks if I have to touch something *cough* french.

All I ever do is put a couple of litres in then start up the car. Then with the car running fill the expansion tank up to the MAX, keep it topped up to the MAX until the engine gets hot enough that the water level starts rising, then put the cap on. Run the car 'till the fan cuts in then allow it to cool and recheck the water level.

nez, try an expansion bottle cap and just join the 2 heater hoses together to eliminate it as a source of an air lock.

13. nez1978 Forum Member

right ok, ok, so i'v4e been told wrong, i been running thre car with the cap off all the time. Allowing it to get hot then just pouring more water in. Is this wrong, well fecky do! I am rather growing tired of this situation.

With the cap on its not losing water, so it can't be the cap

But i just been running the car and no water is getting to the heater matrix.

14. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

I took out fuse 21 and 22 as i wsnt sure...did the trick for me :)

15. nez1978 Forum Member

right i'm really not happy now.

I've tried getting the airlock out, no dice.She still refuses to work, i think she secretly knows i wanted to see my new g/f tonite, female dog.

I have ran the car with that cap on, and the fan would not come on. At all! But the inlet hose to the radiator, did decide to get rock hard, so much that u cud not compress it. I turned the engine off, and unscrewed the header cap a little, and it seemed to release lots of water and a lot of air too. I undid it totally, and left it to cool for 3 hours.

I topped the water back up during this period, a few times, as and wen the level dropped.

I just been out in it again, and although it took more time to get hot, it still isn;t right.

No water is getting to the matrix, coz i am freezing cold. And the hose into the radiator was rock hard again.

I can't put up woith this for much longer. Why do these VW's have to be so temperamental. Think next show i go to, it will be up 4 sale, coz i have lost patience.

16. Golden Forum Junkie

Have you considered that it may be the head gasket?

If you do decide to sell it PM me ;)

17. nez1978 Forum Member

i didn't consider that no, coz the water and oil levels have been fine. It runs fine. Nomoil in bores, no water in oil. I've seen and heard a head gasket failure b4, and it doesn't seem like it.

I just find it funny, how the fan will not come on, till it reaches an obscene temperature. And the radiator takes ages to warm up.I've only just replaced the thermostat, would a faulty one cause these problems.

18. bigfatpixey Forum Member

if you want to check your thermostat, boil it in a pan of hot water, if it starts to open just before the water boils its ok, if it doesnt open its f**ked.

what happens if you take the thermostat out completley? it should still warm up with the thermostat out, it'll just take a while.

19. Blue MK2 Forum Member

I squeeze the top radiator hose then close the cap on the water bottle. workes for me.

20. Blue MK2 Forum Member

if your pouring more water in every time. could be a head gasket?