*MY HEAD IS IN A BIN*

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nez1978, Jan 17, 2004.

1. nez1978 Forum Member

its not losing water anywhere though. But the water i do put into the engine, it just tips it everywhere, thats why i'm having to put water in.

2. Golden Forum Junkie

Depending on the way head gaskets go sometimes they will only pump air into the cooling system and not the other way.

Have a sniff of the header tank, can you smell fuel?

3. G60. Forum Member

I hope you put the thermostat in the right way round?

4. Dave J Forum Member

I had a problem with my valver, the heater was not warming up at all, the bottom rad hose was not getting hot, and the system was pressurising, Oh and it started using lots of water. It turned out to be the head gasket. Changed that about 6 weeks ago, hasn't caused any problems since. :)

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

:clap: Same when i put a new engine in my old 8v, kept emtying itself all the time through the header tank

6. nez1978 Forum Member

well, i think i'm gonna change the head gasket, as i cannot think of anythin else it can be.

Gr8, that means the push-iron gonna have to come out to get me to work. Quality

I would do that job myself, but i'm gettin a bit cheesed off with workin on these engines. Or maybe i'm havin a bad month for luck. Can't beleive the head gasket has gone. What a nightmare.

7. DarkAngel Forum Member

You seem to have the same probs as me mate, nothing ever seems to go right with my Golf. I've had a cooling problem since I got it, with water going somewhere and it overheating, had the water pump changed 'cos it was knackered, and everything seemed fine for a while. Then it overheated on a hot day 'cos it had no coolant in it, that had gone somewhere but god knows where.

It loses about 1 litre every week at the mo.

Had to put a new carb on it 'cos that packed up, and now the head gasket has gone as well. And the head is stuck 'cos I can't unclip the feckin exhaust from the manifold. Great.

And it's booked in at the garage on friday 'cos the tracking has gone now and it doesn't idle properly.

Chris.

8. Golden Forum Junkie

If it makes you feel any better I spent Saturday afternoon putting my gearlinkage back together and whilst under the car noticed the rad leaking, so it happens to all of us. My car "to do" list looks like Lisa Rileys supermarket shopping list!