My Mars Red Mk1 - Thread REBOOT- P82

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vw_singh, May 5, 2008.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Audi Driver International

This is the 2nd trackday since going turbo and we were hoping for dry weather. It was pouring when we arrived at Combe. So signed on and out we went onto a very wet and slippery track. 2 laps in and an S3 loses control and almost takes out a few nearby cars! Here is a video.

[video=youtube;eCQsK9biGQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQsK9biGQs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUL9PNmxUa-k39lg08TqZogw[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQsK9biGQs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUL9PNmxUa-k39lg08TqZogw

Anyway, even after a short wet session, the engine still seemed to be breathing oil out into the catch tank. Something it doesn't do on the road. Oh dear. So we topped up the oil and went out again now on R888s as the track had dried. Chassis felt good and was able to put down all of the power without issue. We pushed on and started to build up pace. We had to slow down a lot for Camp Corner as an Audi had dumped a load of coolant on the line through that corner.

At the end of the session the oil buzzer came on momentarily, hmmmmm doesn't bode well. Came into the pits and checked the oil levels and again the catch tank was full and the sump almost empty. We let the car cool and topped up the oil again. So out we went again. This time we managed about 2 laps before I noticed a load of smoke from the exhaust while at high load through Folly. Day over! Pulled over and got towed back into the pits. Oil level had dropped too low and damaged a bearing as some knock was now evident under light load.

Here is a short vid of the last session.

[video=youtube;U3gLJQ_bogk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gLJQ_bogk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUL9PNmxUa-k39lg08TqZogw[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gLJQ_bogk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUL9PNmxUa-k39lg08TqZogw

Anyway with the day over, we packed up the car and worked out what to do. Chris Eyre kindly offered to tow us back home! We took up his offer as it would be far quicker than waiting around for a tow truck. Excellent. Got back home in good time as a result.

Here are some good shots of the car that various folk took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you too Rambow, Chris Eyre and Robin Ingram for the great pics. Also a massive thank you to Rambow And Chris for all your help throughout the day and getting me home.

Till next time.

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    rambow and A.N. Other like this.
  2. 51ngh Forum Member

Good stuff! Gutted about the knock but it will be back in no time :) thumbup:

3. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

did you find out why it was dumping so much oil into the catch tank?

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Cheers!

Not yet but will look into it when I have time.

Gurds

5. rambow Forum Member

The car always gets so much attention on track, fairly inconspicuous when it first arrives, then after a session out the pic above captures the usual steady wave of people wondering what's in it. :)

Technical Director of Audi had a lot of praise for it as well :clap:

Grip levels felt really good as well, on boost hard out of corners, no traction issues, it just works.

Can't wait to get it built up again and get back out on track [:D]

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Still blowing Gurds?

Same issue as Bedford.

Could it be a ring issue?

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yup same issue Russ.

Could be a ring issue but now the big end bearing is toast, it's all coming out.

Gurds

8. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Man your car keeps you busy!

I've had similar issues with my breather after turning the revs a little higher this year. Quite literally take a fast turn onto a straight, by the end of the straight I've had an explosive discharge of the sump through the breather system :-(

I've managed to sort it by modifying the sump baffles to stop oil moving forwards during braking, secondly I've used larger hoses on the breather system and third using slightly less oil on a track day.

Next mod is breather in the cam cover......

Hopefully you'll get your car sorted soon, is it just big ends or is bad enough to be a motor out job?

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Agree with that when using 7800rpm on a NA 9A with baffled sump ... much less carry over into block catch tank and venting from oil filler cap. Ran sump level at 50%.

10. Prawn Forum Member

I found similar issues before fitting a baffled sump to my 20vt.

When I first fitted my baffled sump, no matter how much I filled it, it would always spit oil out and find it's own level after the first track session, then never go down any further at all.

After a discussion with Bill, I realised that it was the forward baffles holding oil at a set level under braking, and anything above this level was free to go up and out of the crank breather.

Once it finds it's level it seems to sit there very happily.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It wasn't just finding its level.

12. Prawn Forum Member

Oh yea, I realise that, Gurds has bigger issues sadly, but a worth while addition to the discussion whilst on topic.

The level it seems to find often tends to be under the 'max' level on the dipstick, causing people to overfill to try and get it to max.

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Good to see the updates.
    You need some of my Brake ducts :)

[​IMG]

I want to make a full trumpet eventually, if I ever get round to it.....

[​IMG]

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

woh thats nice sam

15. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks for all the info and help guys.

I am investigating engine breather setups and going through what would be required to setup a more efficient breather system. Not deleting OE stuff probably would have been a good start lol.

Gurds

16. TrackCab16v Forum Member

car sounded like it was evil on track gurds ,with all them new ponies .[:D]
    perhaps new rings never bedded , thus causing pressure inside the block to build and vacume out.
    hope you get it sorted .

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I recall Bill having these oil surge issues in the mid-Noughties and it being solved with the Seat Sport sump baffle design:

[​IMG]

As far as I'm aware the issue related to the 06A block which the Seat Ibizas came with, which has a different breather to the EA827 block from the ABF.

More on alloy sumps and baffles here (there are various threads) and steel sumps here (in which I replicated the Seat Sport thinking) :thumbup:

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks Paul!

Hey Chris, thanks for those links and info. Did that final design resolve your issues?

Cheers,

Gurds

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi Gurds, yes that is the design that is still on my Mk1 today. It has been on since late 2009 so is well proven. I have pdf templates for it here.

The original issue on mine was a flickering oil light and a Schrick alloy sump. The Reeves Mk1 had had oil surge issues at Clearways / Brands and that Schrick was then modified - and the finger started to be pointed in the direction of my unmodified sump. However the low pressure and high pressure switches were found to be reversed on the wiring, which made the light more sensitive, but nevertheless proved there was a pressure drop taking place on the Schrick. The steel sump was fitted instead and baffled. I haven't switched the wires round since though so the test is technically incomplete - albeit proven through use to be ok.

The problem area IMO is oil running up the front of the block where the oil pump bulge is. This is marked up on another thread for a different reason, but the Schrick has no rear facing baffle where the blue oval is:

[​IMG]

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Brilliant! I will be revisiting the sump soon so will add the sections in. Also, does this design do away with the windage tray or is that still employed too?

Gurds