My Mk2 sprint & Hill climb car resto, Vids & pics now up

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by VR6T, Nov 7, 2009.

1. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Well its been slow progress lately, have been doing loads of little detail jobs.
    Like relocating the eye bolt for the seat harness, cleaning up brackets, heat wrapping the exhaust rear box, stripping the coilovers to rebuilt them with MK3 top mounts, fitting the wings, repairing the tunnel heat shield, fitting handbrake cables, assembling the radiator and fan housing, fitting the front sub frame with the rack and the ARB etc etc.
    Here's a few photos of the current build status.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have also de-burred the exhaust manifold, there was loads of weld through penetration on the in side of the pipes.
    [​IMG]
    Next jobs to do are the brake lines and get the engine in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. dougle New Member

Just read this thread through!! Looking good, and fast progress too!! Keep it up. :thumbup:

3. 16valver Forum Member

Nice progress Dave, seem to be getting a lot done :thumbup:

When is your first event?

4. danster Forum Addict

This car is getting a lot of time consuming work done, Dave.
    This effort is what makes the difference between a nice car, and a great car, so keep it up.:thumbup:

If you ever need bits and bobs give me a shout.

5. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Cheers

6. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Cheers was hoping to make it to Doune

7. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Cheers Danny, its amazing just how much time it all takes to get stuff the way you want it to be..[:D]

8. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I am becoming very popular in my house hold now, wife is asking if i want a sleeping bag setup in the garage...

Managed to get the new ITG filters on, replaced the water pump, thermostat, plastic take off pipe and the pulley. Had the usual issue with rusty nuts and bolts, cleaned up a couple of the mounting brackets and gave them a coat of paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The filters are a neat fit but i will need to work out what i am going to do with the water hose going to the rad, it gets kinked currently so i turned it round and the routing is a lot better, will sort that out when i get the engine in the car.

It was not all plane sailing with the alternator, the adjuster bracket was to short and the alternator hits the bottom of the filter. So out came the welder again and i extended the bracket by 2".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just need to find a belt to fit it now.
    Hoping i will get my new braided brake hose stuff tomorrow so i can get cracking with fitting them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Picked up my brake parts yesterday but didn't get anything done as it was the our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday so took her indoors out for a bite to eat..

So had a 3 hours session tonight and have done the engine bay and the front brake lines, heres a few photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks a bit neater than the previous install.
    [​IMG]

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just a bit!!! is that a MC with banjo fittings?

11. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Yup banjo's on the MC..

12. Willber Forum Member

Great to see it taking shape now. The work looks excellent. Which brake lines did you use? Are they all braided? I am looking to replace mine as they are corroded and look manky.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

P.S I thought my new hard lines looked a bit unproffesional not clipped in!!! they were a bit mental, with a lot more pipe used than needed?

Is there a worry with using braided's near the back of the engine due to heat temps?

14. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Yes all goodridge stuff got it all from www.Pirtek.com, its not cheap[:^(]

15. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Yes have thought of that, have still to sort out the routing and the heat protection. The exhaust is already wrapped so i was thinking of maybe getting some of the pipe heat insulation stuff to place over the hose. Planning not running the heat shield that covers the bulkhead to the tunnel, as the manifold is very tight to the tunnel.

16. Admin Guest

The car is looking good, well done, love the brake lines.

The 2E serpentine belt setup works very well with ITB's and carbs, it sits lower and does not slip - also weighs less.

17. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Ok its been a couple of days since i updated.....
    Well my gearbox didn't turn up on Friday so i got the final bits of the brake lines done and the proportioning valve fitted. Then i got the car back on its wheels, outside and the doors on and the full glass/winder mechs fitted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also fitted the exhaust and the tunnel heat shield.
    [​IMG]
    While i was doing the brake lines i noticed the heater matrix was leaking , i managed to take out the heater box complete and removed this.
    [​IMG]
    It turns out the flap controls on the heater box had been butchered so a complete new heater box unit is required to sort the problem.
    So today i did manage to find a replacement unit thanks to Goof:thumbup:
    I hope my gearbox turns up tomorrow so i can get it fitted and the car running this week coming..

18. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Few its been a while since a last updated, deadline for the 18th came and went but still going hell for leather. No photos but managed to get the inside of the car finished last night. Took 7 hours of work to get the new seat and harness fitted, loads of cutting fabrication and welding of frames but its all looking good now.

Planning to get the engine in this Friday and fired up with any luck!!

19. jaye4 New Member

coming on well mate......learnt a lesson with this car .............only one way to do a car....all yourself!!
    ps did u get the rad ok??

20. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Yes i did get the rad IIFC i did TXT you :thumbup:

LOL yes if you do it yourself you only have yourself to blame...