My MK3 Dash Conversion Thread (pics)

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Andy947, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

nice polo conv!

2. darnold4 Forum Member

Just a quick Q,

would a mk3....no, sorry Mk4 Polo or Seat Ibiza dash swap into a Mk2 Golf easier than a mk3 Golf Dash? I'm just thinking that it's a more similar sized car.....

anyone done this?

I know the South African "Mk1" golfs have a Skoda Fabia dash or something....
    Edited by: darnold4

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

The MK3 swap isnt really that hard - its not that different in size.

Would depend on what steering column mods are required and if you can keep the manaual windows and manaual mirrors :)

4. philwept_33 Forum Member

Choose a cheaper one then [:$]

5. LLOYD Forum Member

looks good mate , nice work

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks great but the grey seats look old and sh1t. Any plans for darker or re trimmed seats?

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Grey seats?

The seats are black you blind fekr :lol:

Might get the whole lot retrimmed in leather/alcantara at some point :)

8. AEC303 Forum Member

How much difference between a MK3 dash and a corrado dash is there? I'm hopefully getting a LHD rado dash to go in my imported Jetta, and need to guage how much needs to be modded to get everything to fit!

Good job though Andy! :thumbup:

9. nez1978 Forum Member

nice conversion. Have we got any FAQ's for the mk3 dash conversion???

I am due to attempt this conversion, plus the climatronic, in the next few weeks, could do with some sort of visual storyboard to help, as i'm going in blind at the minute.

Nice work andy.;)

10. vw scottie Forum Member

Did you have to cut the cross member length down to make it fit [:?:] Also how have you got your speedo to work as it`s not cable driven [:?:]
    I`m hoping to do this conversion soon is there any pit falls i should know about before i start [:?:]
    Nice job by the way

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yeah you cut it down, but its quite obvious which bits to cut off as they kind of stick out a bit

The speedo is easy, you jus fit the MK3 sender into the mk2 box and run a live and earth and a cable to the clock feed and bingo, it works :p

Pitfalls....... very much depends, every conversion is different, i was able to lower the column a fair bit cos of the raddo seats which IMO makes the dash fit a lot easier.

It more a see how it goes and adjust while you are working type of job :)

12. vw scottie Forum Member

Is the MK3 sender a striaght swap into the MK2 box [:?:] .Did you have to cut alot from the sides and front of the dash and did you use the original front dash fixings to the bulk head [:?:] .
    I`ve also got raddo seats in mine but i`m after some recaros so may have problems if i swap seats at a later date :( o well just have to find some raddo recaros

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

andy is right lowering the steering column is the best wy to fit it however if you do this with standard seats you need to make sure you dont go too low or you have to slide under the steering wheel to get into the car which is obviously dangerouse if you were to be in an accident etc.

i managed to fit all my dash without lowering the steering column at all, i just had to cut the front struts off that hold the steering column up

however you can only do this if you have gti spec clocks as the driver clocks are much bigger and wont fit.

there are two problems with leaving the steering column where it is

1 the dash sits lower to the steering column that it would normally so you cant use the origional facorty cover because it sticks up far to far and kides the clocks so you either have to modify it or make one (i plan to fibreglass one i think.

2 the center console does not fit upto the dash where it should although this isnt really noticable and you can fit it in place without it being too noticable also.

the last problem is that the metal bar in the center that connect to the tunnel cant be fitted although to be honest my car does not miss it i have coilovers and the car jusmps and bumps around everywhere and there is never even the smallest squeek or creek from the dahs infact its quiter and sturdier than the mk2 one.

if i were you i would fit the mk3 heater box and controlls as this will save you alot of hassle and stop all the heater controls being the wrong way round thats one think i wish i had done,, i dont know if its a direct swap or not as ive never tried it. but if it can be done i would do it and at the same time swap your heater matrix for a new one as you may aswell do it now than have to remove most of your dash to do it in the future.

thats all i can think of for now.

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

oh yeah and the mk3 spedo is a direct swap in the gearbox

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

andy nice place to put the switches, might put some rear switches there for my rear windows.

where did you mount your eletric mirror switch mate?

16. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

Sorry to revive such an old thread but im having a few problems. I have two MK3 dashes that im using as testers to see how much i need to cut. One of them that ive already cut the same as the one at the begging of the thread. Now even though it fits there a gaps at the bottom of the windsreen in both corners, and i havent cut there. Did you guys have these ?

Also how do you get the MFA on the clocks to work ???

Oh yeah, and used din rail to mount the support bar. This allowes me to make easy adjustments to its position before the final fix.