New project

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk2 nas, Jan 22, 2024.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

2. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Tamper plug unmarked as if it’s never been out

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ah just when a project is going good it throws a problem.long story short replaced both fuel pumps on digi gti.
    The main under car pump ( I bought )…the lift pump was in the boot in a new box (as new never fitted)
    Only ran the car a couple of times went to start today to adjust co as it’s been a bit rich
    And no starty.
    Pulled fuel line of fuel rail and no fuel coming
    Through but priming was happening each turn of key.
    That one was working but not the lift pump.
    This lift pump was new only 6 weeks ago and the car hasn’t moved of its axle stands.
    What would cause a lift pump to burn out so quick?thanks in advance

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you pulled it out for a look? the short hose between pump and lifter assembly may have split/rotted/melted

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes pulled it out it was only put in about 6 weeks ago and was new.came with the car so not sure about it.but all the rubber etc is ok.
    Is there a possibility the earth could be an issue.would it be a good idea to add an additional earth closer to pump in the boot.
    Long story short bought it as project came with a failed lift pump,fitted the new one now failed.now got another so that 3 that I know of.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

did the mesh filter on the ok look good? can never have too much earth, the original wiring runs to the front of the car and pops to the white 4 way earth block near fusebox

mk2 nas likes this.
  7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Mesh on all lift pumps have looked clear and intact no issues there.
    Just got me a bit concerned now as I know it’s got through a couple of lift pumps and don’t want this to happen while out and about.
    So much so I’ll prob put an additional earth in boot nearer pump and buy a spare pump just in case as it’s a roadside fix.
    It may not happen again the pump could have been rubbish and I know it was was in the boot since 2019.
    On another issue this car was bought as a kind of non runner but done loads starts,runs,idles
    Not drove it yet becouse if other stuff to do
    But when I plant my foot the revs are not smooth like there’s hesitant increase in revs
    I’ve changed plugs,leads,dizzy,arm,had ecu off cleaned all contacts.
    Only thing I can think of now is knock sensor or air box.
    Water temp sensor has also been changed
    Static timing set (right)on assembly not checked timing as yet though the gearbox but will do.i only have a basic strobe so should it 6 degrees at 2500?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024