New speed cameras - Monitron Digital Video Cameras

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by A.N. Other, Apr 10, 2006.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No more putting your foot down to nip through lights on amber folks:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso12.htm

Combined red light and speed camera, ISDN linked to your local Safety Partnership ticketing office.

Giveaways are the painted lines on the road, as per usual Gatso road markings, on the near approach (<25 to 50 yds) from the lights.

Rumours of extremely high accuracy, with trigger settings less than the usual leeway above the limit.

Theres one on the A40, nr Shepherds Bush, eastbound.

Keep a very sharp eye out for these.

Most roadside camera photograph images onto conventional film, but fully electronic systems are now beginning to be used. The digital system has an electronic camera and sophisticated software to analyse the image for details of vehicle registrations. The registration can then be 'read' and attached to the speed measurement. Fully electronic roadside speed cameras can be linked to a remote computer by telephone or ISDN lines, transmitting their data in real time to enforcement agencies. Speeding 'tickets' can be printed remotely a few seconds after the offence has been observed - linking with vehicle registration databases to match the owner against the registration number and printing and mailing the prosecution documents automatically.

[Lets not turn this into an excuse this for a 5lagging thread folks this is just for your information :) ]

2. TurbTech Forum Junkie

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Excellent!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not.

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Man this is becoming really crappy! Time to drive around with no plates on. [xx(]

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Had um in Bristol for a year or so now....they really suck[:x]

5. BertyB New Member

more piggy banks....great

6. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

From what Clarkson said the Government makes as much from Simon Cowell's tax bill as it does from speed cameras.

It's easy to argue they are a method of penalising the motorist to benefit *public opinion* and *right thinking people* but there are more efficient ways if the government just wanted to get money

7. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

A friend of mine has sprayed the plates on his bike with some stuff and has no problems with cameras now.
    Anybody else know of a good brand of this stuff?

Lee

8. Dubya Forum Junkie

Do traffic light cameras have to be painted yellow like the speed ones? All the traffic light cameras round here are grey, whereas the speed cameras are bright yellow?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The new ones I've seen of this type are yellow

10. GTILass Forum Member

tbh im not one to jump lights anyway

but perhaps they should put them in traffic light jumping hotspots/danger hotspots instead of pointless places

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I guess it affects any of the 'usual' practice of a brief toe down to get through the lights legitimately, pre-red light (I'm certainly not endorsing red light jumping - I see a lot of it where I live and wonder what, if anything, is in their heads).

From time to time, virtually anyone gets into the green/amber circumstance, yet the implications of these cameras are an urgent need for habit changing.... or points.

12. Barkstar Forum Member

I have no problems with traffic light cameras - speed cameras is a very different matter. And if a few fines are needed to change some people's habits then so be it
    There ain't no justification or excuse for jumping the lights - it's playing Russian roulette.
    Barkstar

13. JAY

Jay Forum Member

That stuff is a total waste of money, if they suspect foul play they can put the photo through a graphical enhancer program and they will see the plate details and then nick you for tampering with it.

There is no real way of getting away with it now, even the PACE witness statement is now invalid

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

More of these cameras are being put up - there's a couple of tall posts gone in nearer to home, paint's on road - just waiting for the boxes to be put on top....

15. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

Good. Red light jumping should=instant ban.

16. JAY

Jay Forum Member

i totally agree with cameras at traffic lights, but what i hate is when you come up to a set of lights and they are green, i'm always apprehensive when approaching as they always turn red just before i get there!!!!

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[RANT]

Gawd <bangs head > listen folks.

For avoidance of doubt, yet again, I do not, and am not condoning red light jumping. If anyone does, I'd personally like to have a 'heathy' conversation with them.

Drivers have habits, and one of these is to get the foot down to rush through green lights.

... whilst they're green, possibly nudging amber.

.... whilst in excess of the speed limit.

But this clearly can't go on.

Because the camera picks you up on the green light phase, speeding.

In effect the traffic light aspect of these cameras is nothing new.

[/RANT]

18. N1CK Forum Junkie

This could do more harm than good tbh, thnk about it, your driving up to the lights, they are green, you have traffic close behind as you approach just seconds before you get level with the lights they change to amber, you brake to avoid points...someone goes into the back of you.

Im always anxious wehn i get to lights which have cameras on them, i dont jump red lights, but if i approuch a set of lights and just as i get level they go amber i will carry on otherwise id have to break hard to stop, increasing the chances of someone driving into the back of me.

These camera's are getting beyond a joke, safety is an issue and where accidednts are rife they have a right to be there, in places where they are positioned blatently just to raise extra money is absoulubtly discusting, ive noticed in cornwall some have been removed, but in other counties there are plently of them, most uk roads should be labled as unuseable and still after all the road tax/camera revenue, the roads go untouched[:x]

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, I totally agree, need to bear in mind people behind more so than ever. A lot of people won't know what these cameras are - most will assume they're red light only.

I went past one of the cameras earlier, and I was mainly watching my speedo (these cameras are rumoured to be accurate, with little leeway), and felt distracted from actually watching the lights themselves [:s]. I also felt that a chain of traffic with one person at the front having to control the speed of those behind on a dual carriageway is asking for some aggro sooner or later. Someone anchors up at the front... and...

Clanggggggggggg......

A few cameras seem to be being moved around at the moment - so there seems to be a general review in some places.

20. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I once saw one poor bugger see the lights turning red, slam on the achors but stop with his rear wheels just infront of the white line.

To stop himself being out in the middle of the junction ( and as there was no car behind) he put the car in reverse so that he was behind the white line. As he started to move backwards.....Flash flash went the Camera.

Doh!! [xx(]