New track toy...new wheels/tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by pj_sibley, Oct 18, 2010.

1. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

As of tomorrow evening, I will be the proud owner of a new track toy. The car in question is a '90 Mk2 Gti 16v with full ABF conversion, G60 brakes and Koni adjustable suspension.

The car will come with a set of standard BBS RAs (only two with tyres) and a set of Borbet B alloys (with Marongoni budget tyres - apparently OK?). Two of the Borbets are slightly bent and require straigtening, hence the car is currently running with Borbets on the front and RAs on the rear :lol:

So, the options:

1) Buy a set of 15" G60 steels (188 incl. VAT from my local VW dealer) + fit with brand new UniRoyal Rainsport 2 / Toyo T1R (roughly 50-55 fitted per corner). Sell the Borbets and the RAs.

2) Get the Borbets straightened and fit the aforementioned tyres (UniRoyal / Toyo)

3) Get some 3mm spacers for the front axle (to fit RAs over G60 brakes) and fit the aforementioned tyres (UniRoyal / Toyo) on the RAs

4) Leave the car as it is, accept that it looks a bit silly, and thrash the nuts off it ;)

Any thoughts / suggestions?

2. paultownsend Forum Member

theeres a fella selling/swopping a set od TD pro race 1.2's in the classifieds. best option tbh. at the time, i couldnt fing any cheap enough :(

3. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Spotted those...but they're white unfortunately and I have to leave the car parked on the street for the time being, hence something a bit more subtle is desirable [:s]

4. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Although light for a steel, G60 steels are still pretty heavy, RAs are stupidly heavy for what they are too. Dunno about the weight of the Borbets. I'd be looking for something 7x15 or 6.5x15 and fairly lightweight. The TDs are among the best on a budget and BBS RZs are also a relatively good choice being a good kilo or so lighter per wheel than an RA, half an inch wider, and unlike RAs clear 280mm brakes without spacers probably in part to a 5mm lower offset.

5. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Also neither Uniroyals or Toyos would be my choice for a track day car. If you can't stretch to track day tyre money, then Yokohama Paradas in 195/50-15 will set you back less than 40 a corner fitted.

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Pradas are nice tyres and pretty grippy for the dough,

also find your local TPS and see if they sell to the public... or speak to some one up around derby way whos a member as G60s on trade are about 35 a rim last time I checked.

7. paultownsend Forum Member

i live in derbay and have a set of rz's for sale :)
    yep, tps discount is good!

8. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Thanks for the advice on tyres/wheels etc. G60 steels from my local VW dealer are 40.04+VAT each, so about 188 for a full set.

Picking the car up this evening, very excited :thumbup:

PS. Paul - PM sent about the RZs

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. Mike_H Forum Addict

G60 steels are v heavy, and they seem to get red hot in hard use, so I'd assume they're not cooling the brakes very well (not enough airflow?). I've also heard this from other people, but haven't had a brake fade problem with them myself, although I've done several laps of the 'ring on them. The 'ring isn't all that heavy on brakes though.

I'd shop around for a decent set of lightweight 2nd hand alloys. Team Dynamics Pro Race, OZ SuperLeggera or UltraLeggera. Anything around 7kg per wheel or less, in a 6.5 or 7x15.

Your set of BBS RA's aren't particularly light. but would probably be a better bet than the steelies.

How bent are the borbets? I've had some success straightening wheels with a bit of hammer work, but it depends on the type of ally they're made from, and some types are more brittle than others. If you find someone with the right kit, they could straighten them for a price. It depends on what you think the wheels are worth though, as to whether you think they're worth straightening. Borbets normally seem to carry high price tags...

10. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

The person selling me the car claims the two rears are bent / out of balance (he bought them from a race car apparently). The two wheels in question have absoutely brand new tyres on them (the other matching pair of Borbets / tyres are currently on the front axle). I need to ask him how the tyre place got on with balancing them and might even run them into a garage to have them checked out myself.

To be honest, if I can get the Borbets to work out then that's where I'll start...probably stick some Hancook RS2 tyres on there.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  11. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Paul....I've PM'd you about purchasing the RZs :)

Oh, and I picked up my new Mk2 last night. Nice drive home, despite the weight of the spares I seem to have acquired with it LOL!! Keep an eye on the classifieds for a whole heap of parts.

12. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Have been offered a set of refurbished OZ Superturismos in 15x7" size, which should easily clear the G60 brakes. Will these rub on the arches at that width? I'm not sure what the offset is on them.

13. coullstar Forum Member

Offset is the key figure. You want it to be between 35-25mm for that wheel width I would say.

14. paultownsend Forum Member

you got a good wheel there matey!

15. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

The Borbets don't appear to be too bent apparently, so I'm going to hopefully fit to them to the car this weekend and give them a go :)....once I've extracted the locking wheel bolts that are currently securing the four wheels currently on the car!! Previous owner can't find the locking wheel bolt socket, so it's impact socket time [:x]

16. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

What does it look like? One of us might have a key for it you can borrow.

17. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Thanks for the offer :)

However, getting the lockers out was no problem at all with the right tools. So, the other two Borbets balanced up OK and, despite a minor kink in both rims, they seem to be running nicely on the car. Yet to test out steady-state on the motorway, where any wobble should show itself, so fingers crossed! Car looks much better now with four matching wheels :thumbup:

Might need to 'adjust' the rear plastic arch liners a bit, as 7" wide wheels and ET30 put them very close to the tyre during heavy cornering / acceleration.

Any tips??

18. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Just bought the OZ Superturismos mentioned above, as they're in great condition and I managed to negotiate a reasonable price for them. They're 15x7", 4x100 PCD, ET37 and will sit some 7-8mm further inside the arches than my Borbet Cs (which are 15x7", ET30).

Will likely fit them with Yoko AO48 / Toyo R888 for dedicated track use, rather than an all-round tyre such as Yoko AD08 or Hancook Ventus RS2, and run the Borbet Cs with the road tyres for general use.

Getting there :thumbup:

19. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

How much if you dont mind me asking, Ive been looking for a set.

20. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

175 delivered for a set of refurbed items, so very good value really :thumbup:

If they arrive in time, I'll bring one along to the Bristol meet on Thursday.