new tyres. Firestones?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Tspec, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

need to purchase 4 new tyres [:^(] . i always run dunlop SPs but need to get something a little cheaper this time round as im skint. has anyone had any experience with firestone tyres? i have around 350 odd to spend, anyone any advice on best tyre to get for this price
    cheeeeeers folks

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

what size tyres do you need? #350 should get you some pretty decent ones if you shop around :)

3. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

I bought my Eagle F1 GSD3's (4 of) for 320 from a local garage ... fitted ! (205/45/16).

Phone around a load of garages and then play prices off of them, that's how I got a good price.

4. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

sorry, that would of helped :) . tyres are 225/45 17. what you think of firestone firehawks? never used them before. was quoted 340 for 4, reasonable? might stretch for the dunlops though, still best tyre ive used.

5. noms2000 Forum Member

I've had Firestones on my Bug for years, handles like its on rails (Im sure the mods have got something to do with it too!)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

vrederstein did well in evo's recent tyre test... im gonna try those next

7. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

they are a quite unknown foreign made tyre but decently priced.
    they are just above budgets but are very good quality/wear rate for the price.
    the firestones are good, slightly above budgets again. dunlop d9000(iirc thats the model) are very good, had them on my punto gt

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

vrederstein are an unknown?! theyve been about for years, im sure someone here will confirm theyre a big big producer... i always had the impression they were a major brand

as for foreign... yokohama, bridgestone etc are foreign, does that make them bad too?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

10. frank4 Forum Member

How about Yoko Paradas? George Polley can supply and fit them (15/195/50) for about 40 a corner. The best 160 I have spent and pretty much on par with F1's (Not sure if he can get other sizes)

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the paradas are not as good as the F1s. i went from F1s to paradas on my golf. id go as far as to say the paradas are maybe a touch unpredictable in the wet, but they are good at handling standing water (ie they do not aqua plane easily)

in the dry id say they were every bit as good as the F1s... but in the wet the F1s own big time.

im planning to go for vrederstein next.

as for the yokos, ive had them lighting up at 50 in 2nd coming round a bend off a roundabout, i was actually trying hard to put all the power down as i was chasing a teg.... which was on F1s

the break away is very predictable, but coming off the roundabout i was having to feather the throttle a lot, i opened it up more at 50 (after having to back out maybe twice already) and it just lit up again and ive got barely any power really

12. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

im goin for dunlop sps again i decided. best tire ive ever used. i was never a a fan of pradas.

13. squibby Forum Member

4 Goodyear Eagle F1's will cost 298 from Mytyres.co.uk. leaves you 62 to have them fitted/balanced. Should have some change from that and will have the grippiest tyres on the market bar non. (Will have to change them again in 10000 miles mind you, soft as pudding).

14. wesmaster Forum Member

just fitted 195 45 16 F1 cost 45 each good price.

15. Collie Forum Junkie

16. madmonkey Forum Addict

I wore out my Firestones in about 3k/6 months. Yes they handle (in the dry) but by god do they wear out quick.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what did you use them on?

18. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

who said they was bad smart ar$e?
    you ask a random bloke in the street or member on here and ask about makes of car tyres, doubt very much hes gonna add vredesteins to the list of the popular/well known brands.
    we used to sell tons of them at work but usually went out as budgets, the customer usually didnt realise they had a decent tyre on for their money.
    thats what i mean about being unknown... by the average bloke, not know alls such as yourself pal ;)

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so a brand like fuchs or K&N are a 'foreign unknown' because a punter on the street wouldnt be familiar with their name?

another thing, how are they "they are just above budgets". just above 'budgets' in what? looks? taste? if its performance, how then did one of their tyres do well enough to come second in evo's recent tyre tests (about one of the only useful independant tyre tests in years)

1st - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
    2nd - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
    3rd - Continental ContiSport Contact 3
    4th - Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
    5th - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    6th - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
    7th - Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
    8th - Dunlop Sport Maxx
    9th - Yokohama S.Drive

i can agree that theyre not the most common brand out there, but i dont see how you come to your concluions about them being an 'unknown' or not that good

20. Bacon99 New Member

go to Black Circles.com, we bought some for my wife's 20v turbo and it was a lot cheaper than any of the other options even with fitting...would defo use them again