Nice OEM Audi/VW 16/17" wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Hallsy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Hallsy New Member

Pretty new to the VW scene so sorry if this is an obvious question. I've done searches but it seems that if the keyword comes up too many times it just times out :(

Anyway, my bro has just bought an R plate Golf GTI in dark metallic grey. It's his birthday soon and I'm thinking of getting some wheels for him. He's already mentioned that he likes the anniversary wheels so I considered these, he did say prob 16", I am unsure about 17"'s on mk3 gti's, do they rub? I don;t want to get him anything that will rub or cause problems when loaded up or lock-to-lock.

If 17's are OK I like the look of TT wheels on a Mk3.

Basically after some recommnedations or pics of mk3 GTI's on nice VAG wheels. Cheers :)

2. MrBen Forum Junkie

The Anni BBS wheels always look good, and if you don't mind 6.5" wide instead of the Anni's 7", there are loads of them about on mk4's. I've got a set in pieces which I've been refurbing for ages- one day I might get them finished and on the car!

TT rims will fit, but some of them are a bit wide - for example the six-spoke 8x17's tend to catch the arches, especially if the car is running low.

I presume he will lower it? If not, definitely don't go over a 16" rim or it will look pretty odd!

Some pics:
    16" Anni rims (actually this is an Anni, but shows how good they look when low!):
    [​IMG]

17" TT six spokes (with all arches rolled these still rubbed from time to time, though this car is pretty low):
    [​IMG]

17" TT 'Competition' five spokes (less arch problems with these - obviously these are highly polished!):
    [​IMG]

There are loads of other options - look at mk4 Golfs, Audi A3's etc for inspiration!

3. ChrisUK Forum Member

Polished TT Comps are IMO the best audi rims for a mk3, they look absolutley awesome [:D]

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

indeed

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

indeed also :)

[​IMG]

6. Hallsy New Member

Cheers for replies. It was the competition TT wheels I was looking at. Do they rub with mild lowering?

Love the anni wheels as well, if I get a set for him I will split them and refurb as I did the same for my own wheels so have a little experience!!

Dave227, what wheels are they in your sig? BBS?

7. Hallsy New Member

Anyone got any pics of a mk3 gti on the mkiv montreal II wheels?
    Edited by: Hallsy

8. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

BBS RC 17"
    Same as Mk4 anni wheels.
    Edited by: DAVE 2227

9. Hallsy New Member

Cheers Dave, they look very nice.

Wondering how the montreal II would look ona mk3, similar style to the RC's but obviously smaller and not quite as nice.

Been trying to search but it only works if I search topic, not message body?

10. MrBen Forum Junkie

Best pic I can find on a quick search about:
    [​IMG]

11. Hallsy New Member

Cheers mate, prefer the anniversary really after seeing that pic. Plus tyre sizes are wrong so would have to buy tyres as well.

12. coullstar Forum Member

Anni rims are the nicest 16" but prone to corroding quickly and are a pain to keep clean. Always liked Santa Monica wheels plus there is a place doing replicas in either 16" or 17".

13. Hallsy New Member

Yeah they are OK, but when I mentioned the comp TT ones to him he said he would prefer some split rims.

Anni wheels will be pain to clean I know, I polished the lip oin the wheels I have and they are a pain this time of year. Still, it's better leaving the rim un-lacquered once polished as that way you can keep them shiny by just polishing them once a week.

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

see, if i had a set that were corroded i'd just get them painted when they were refurbed, rather than keeping the rim polished....in fact, i think the ones you find on mk4's are fully painted.

15. coullstar Forum Member

Nah, I had a set that were from a Mk4 and they had a polished lacquered rim.

16. Hallsy New Member

Well - I reckon I'm going for the anniversary rims, unless I find any other nice 16" split rims. What tyres do they need on them for best rolling radius/clearance?

Also - what is going rate for a set of these, just so I don;t get ripped off!!

17. coullstar Forum Member

18. MrBen Forum Junkie

Standard tyre size on Anni was 215/40/16, but you can also run 205/45/16 which are usually cheaper and size is pretty similar!

Really good refurbed ones can go for upwards of 400, and if you buy decentish ones, they are likely to need refurbing sooner or later, so i'd recommend going for a knackered set and refurbing them yourself- that's what i'm doing at the mo. I got mine in pretty rough state with an ok set of 205/45/16's for about 180.

19. Hallsy New Member

That's what I'm after Mr Ben, refurbed my own set of wheels not long ago, so was thinking of getting a cheap set, splitting them, I'll polish up the rims and strip the centres, then get the centres done professionally, either powder coated or sprayed, then reassemble them myself.

I painted my set myself last time but it's a bit cold this time of year so might be easier to just get them done by a pro.

Have you got any progress on your refurb ben? As his car is dark grey I was thinking of doing the centres a little darker silver than std, maybe a pearl of some sort. Also, when you re-assemble do you have to threadlock the bolts? Toque settings?

20. Peter Forum Member

There are some wicked wheels fitted to the Phaeton, saw a set a while back in 17" I think, look like a Compomotive TH, very plain and simple i thought they looked ace, would look sweet polished up with some low profile rubber I'll try and dig a pic up

Pete
    Edited by: Peter