Nice OEM Audi/VW 16/17" wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Hallsy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Peter Forum Member

Here is the only pic I could find its not very clear unfortunately

[​IMG]

pete

2. Hallsy New Member

They do look nice, I like those sort of wheels but my bro isn;t keen I don't think :(

3. Hallsy New Member

looks nice mate :) Will defo go for 7" wide ones.

4. MrBen Forum Junkie

The ones i'm building are 6.5j mk4's, but I've also got a set of 20mm spacers to go with them, so shouldn't look too weedy in the arches!

Only trouble is they've been sat in the hallway looking like this for a long time!!

[​IMG]

Really must finish them one of these days!

5. mk3 yeti New Member

Hey if your going to go for the anni ones be careful,

The lacquer is notoriously bad on the outer rims - all anni wheels came with a polished lip, the reason you see many fully painted was that vw conceeded that bbs didnt use enough lacquer and subsequently offered owners the chance to have them repainted at no cost around the end of 1999.:clap:

The previous owner of my golf did this and unfortunately vw's priority when refurbing the wheels was cost and as such just took the tyres off and then sandblasted the hell out of them and then powder coated the lot (they didnt strip them down they blasted and painted them fully built[:s]).

I took them to BJV engineering near hemel hempstead who did a fantastic job but unfortunately because the whole lot was painted they need new bolts - 18 per wheel.

So if you are going to get a set and then refurb them yourself it would be worth giving them a call as they can get chrome scmidt bolts for about 1 each (bbs bolts cost more than twice that!) - thats if you need them

So if your looking for original anni wheels then try and find a nice set of unrefurbished ones with decent bolts and if possible just lacquer damage as corrosion on the outer lip can be difficult to polish or even machine out.

6. Hallsy New Member

Cheers for the info, most polished & lacquered rims will corrode eventually. As soon as you get a chip/scratch water gets in and they corrode from under the lacquer.

That's why the last set of wheels I did I left them unlacquered after polishing so the only thing I needed to do to keep them looking good was polish them once a week.

I'll prob do the same with the anni's, I'll split them, flat off lacquer and polish the lip, then prob paint/lacuqer the inner part of the rim that's not seen for some protection and leave the outer part of the rim bare alloy, then he can just polsih them reguarly to keep them looking good. Using something like Belgom Aluwill protect thema bit as well.

I'll get the centre painted or powder coated obviously :) Cheers for the tip on the bolts, may get some if I need them.

MrBen, looking good mate, are you going to leave the rims bare mtal? Did they take much work to split? Are the 6.5j ones same offset then so stick out less?
    Edited by: Hallsy