Nitrous Problems???

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by billy bug, Nov 7, 2003.

1. billy bug Forum Member

I have heard good and bad things about Nitrous!! Does anyone know the bad points and problems that u can get?? Someone said about having to rebuild parts of the engine every 3000 miles??? is this true?

2. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Don't know much but I guess it depends how much boost you decide to go for... 500hp boost ain't going to last long!

3. billy bug Forum Member

Im not going to have it done Im just asking :p Just there seems to be alots of things said about it and there are lots of different views and stories as to do's and dont's and probs...etc!!

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

I think as with most things, if you go mad with the power increase and dont know what youre doing, itll cause big problems.

I could potentially get 500bhp out of my VR6 Turbo (well, not me personally, but you know what I mean) but I'm not going to because a lot of the engine internals would need to be replaced with very expensive stronger parts to take all the extra stress. Like new pistons and rods etc.

5. boda_no1 New Member

nitrous is great stuff that lets N/A runners like myself keep up with the turbo boys out there, the main disadvantage is the cost of filling the bottle, and for some people the nearest dealer is 40 miles away.

6. Rahul Forum Junkie

cant you get gas cylinders from the likes of BOC etc and fill them yourself.

great topic billy bug. Interesting to know the facts!

7. billy bug Forum Member

Whats the cost?? as in what size bottle gives u what amount of fun time??... it seems to me thats is an expensive toy to me!! is it right what i have been told about the rebuilding of patrs of the engine every 3000 miles or so??

8. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

9. The Mann Forum Member

Undoubtedly b*****ks. Why 3000? Why not 10000? Why not 1000? Is that because by 3000 miles you will have used up so many bottles or because thats just the set time of use. How often do you use your car etc etc.

Cant possibly put a time limit on it like that. Depends on soooo many things.

True Nitrous use can contribute to making engine wear slightly more. But only marginally if the kit is setup correctly and the engine is up to the job and sensible kits are used. A lot of the top NOS tuners will only allow you to use 25bhp jets to start with and on report of how these went from the user (i.e. didnt blow engine) they then send out 50s and so on.

If you go to the main NOS sites and read all the FAQs this clears many things up.

ITS NOT DANGEROUS.

Its only dangerous if you dont use modernised SAFE kits. Notrous has only a bad name because its so extreme and back in the day when it was fairly new technology the kits were unsafe and unreliable. You can get all sorts now. progressive controllers...safe wide open throttle switches as pretty much standard etc. Kit for any car they say nowadays. Its a case of use it correctly (i.e. at high revs not low) and in the right amounts to start with and you should be fine. If your running high power nos yes you prob have to rebuild more often. But then if you have a high power turbo......

10. Rahul Forum Junkie

that was a good read nick!

11. billy bug Forum Member

Very interesting... thanks for that. :p

12. Brooky New Member

If u r thinking about fitting v nos think and read carfully on all thekits availiable some kits suit different cars better i.e. k-jet or digifant injection cars. As with youir car you would be better going for the ZEXkit which is a dry system.

13. billy bug Forum Member

I have no plans what so ever on getting it!! this post is only to find things out about it!! [:D]

14. The Mann Forum Member

Why is the dry kit better for his car?

15. billy bug Forum Member

Im not a bloke.... [xx(]

http://www.noswizard.com/faq.php
    a bit more interesting reading..
    Edited by: billy bug

16. The Mann Forum Member

Eh?
    I wasnt picking im just genuinely interested in why it would be better for his car, as GENERALLY speaking (repeat generally) wet kits are better overall for optimum performance, reliability and economy of use.

17. billy bug Forum Member

I really dont know! will do some reading and find out! its probably one of these things that everyone is going to have very different veiws! but would like to know y??

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

From what I`ve read wet kits are the easiest as they meter both the no2 and extra petrol through pre-set jets (just fit the kit and go!)

Do you not have to map the fueling of the car to use a dry kit? Seems a bit complicated.

19. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Yeah, go on Gina- nitrous the Anni [}:)]

if you want good nitrous advice check out this site:

www.nitrous.info

In a nutshell, nitrous will stress your engine greater than normal running. If your engine is strong and fairly healthy, then modest shots of nitrous won't do too much harm. If the engine is a bit of a wheezy rattly smokey old donk, then it could well be the last straw.

20. Jeff Forum Junkie

mmmm, nitrous injected rat :p