No Clutch Pedal (Mk2)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mk1 driver, Jul 23, 2006.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Little problems with my Mk2...

The clutch pedal gets about halfway and then the spring slams it into the bulkhead, the cable and arm on the gearbox seem to operate as they should. Has something broken? [:s]

Also, the gearstick is porridge-tastic! With the engine off you can engage all the gears (albeit with the floppy stick) but with the engine running you can hardly select anything [><]. How is it I can select gears with the engine off but not with it on? miffed.

Are these two problems related? [:v:]

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like the clutch finger in the 5th gear end has cracked and is just rotating on the shaft. It'll give the impression your engaging the clutch hwne actually your not, thats why you can't get gears when the engines running.

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

New box, Mart? [:s]

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

What about the clutch getting stuck on the bulkhead? Are they all related?

Is this on correctly?

[​IMG]

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

that bit fine in the pic, the problem Martin refers to is inside the wheelarch end of the box and can be cured without removing the box fortunatly! There might be enough info in posts on here or in glorious technicolour on Broke's FAQ site on the box to be able to swap it your self I'd have thort.

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I get you, you mean this 'finger' where the release bearing is?

[​IMG]

Is this related to the pedal problem... of it being glued to the bulkhead at present?

7. Broke Forum Member

Yes, that finger is the one that splits. http://www.brokevw.com/releasearm.html and http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html

The pedal is acting normally, it has an over-center spring. The over-center spring will cam over when it gets past the halfway point in each direction. This is what makes it flop the pedal to the floor, and then flop it back up again when you pull on it (you can lift the pedal up off the floor right now, and it'll flop back up, but be careful of getting the clutch cable unhooked).

The spring is to assist in lifting the pedal up once the pressure plate pushes the pedal out past halfway, and it is also there to assist in pressing the pedal down when your foot pushes the pedal more than halfway.

Broke

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Fantastic Broke :thumbup:.

Your site with the pictures are and will be a great help. :clap: [:D]

9. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[8(]

Not taken it all out as I was expecting this part to have broken off. Finger looks fine:
    [​IMG]

Bearing sounds fine (bit of a rattle, normal?):
    [​IMG]

Is the rod too far in? Has it punctured the thrust plate? [8(]
    [​IMG]

[:v:]

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Are the splines inside the finger 'lever' where it runs on the shaft intact?

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I wish you had said sooner Gary :p I've since put it back down on the floor after taking the wheel off to have a look.

The splines must be intact as everything was moving 'as one', finger didn't feel loose either. [:-B]

I'd be interested to know if the amount of rod showing, means it's gone through the thrust plate. (Then I know what will be in store for me... 'box off job)

12. Broke Forum Member

Finger looks OK to me, judging by the angle of the release arm and the finger...they join at a right angle (90 degrees).

The pushrod indeed looks too far in, that looks to be the "clutch disengaged" spot.... and since you have nothing shoving the pushrod in to collapse the PP, I'd say the thrust plate has been punctured by the rod.

I'm trying to visualize your TO bearing inside the bore, to compare to the pics on my Release Arm page... I know there is about 23mm of pushrod exposed when the arm is lifted by pressing the pedal, I know the input shaft is.....I'll just go out into the garage:lol:

OK, back from garage....took input shaft, put 5th bolt in, slid a pushrod in, exposed about 23mm of rod out of the clutch end, it left me with about 7mm or so exposed out of the 5th gear end, looking much like your pic.... my guess is the pushrod has punched through the release plate.:thumbd:

Broke

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Cheers Broke for the info!

This isn't mine... but this is what we think has happened to mine?

[​IMG]

[8(]

14. Broke Forum Member

Aye.:)

Broke

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

That`s mine! Your pushrod looked like mine did as well..

Notice the one in the pic looks cheap with no VAG markings on it? the new VAG one was much more substantial with a pressed in rivet to spread the load and help with wear.

`Box out job I`m affraid, I took the engine out (again) but most seem top be able to get it out in situ, god knows how!

16. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Just for the record - this is what happens to the shift finger - it splits allowing the lever shaft to turn and the finger not to.

this happened to my car a few weeks back - 1st 2nd 3rd no clutch.. pull in... drive home without a clutch... and it was on the way to a rolling road day!

[​IMG]

17. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Bugger [8(], I'll inspect the finger further when I've got the car jacked up again.

It'll be interesting to see what markings are on my broken thrust plate.

New VAG thrust plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When removing the gearbox, I take it I need to remove both the front and rear mounts completely? both from the body and the gearbox itself?

What is the easiest way to undo the rear gearbox bolt that goes through the mount bush? As I'm close to cracking my chin on the inlet manifold if/when it goes.

Should there be a brace from the 5th gear end casing to the rear mount?

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

With an Engine support, where can I safely wrap the chain around the engine to support the weight, when the gearbox is removed?

A quick reply if possible. :)

19. Broke Forum Member

I've akways used the hooks, there is one cast as a part of the head, and then another bolted to the head with the acc. bracket.

Broke

20. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Where abouts are the hooks located on the head, which side/corner and how far down etc? Acc. braket?

Do I not need to use the length of chain, or just use the hook on the support?