No fuel to injectors

Discussion in 'Engines' started by sparrow, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

First I had no spark, but I had fuel pressure.
    To fix this I messed around, and eventually found a missing earth. So I now have spark.
    However, the fuel pump is no longer activating, it appears to not be getting a signal to pump.

So I now have spark, but no fuel.

Does that make more sense?

ETA: Yes, check 5 and 6 fail, but I do have spark.

rubjonny, I found the connector, and it is very corroded. I'll clean that up and test it just now.

This is the part that I replaced. I thought that was the FEI. What's the FEI then?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

that makes more sence it threw me why you were askin about a tci,obviously if your getting a nice spark at the plugs you can rule out the ign system,see what happens after you clean that wire up

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I disconnected the plug, and pin 6 stays live with the ignition on. It earths with the ignition off. Looks like a fault between the plug and the fuse box.
    With the plug unplugged, the RY wire at the female end of the connector is live. If I earth that, the pump runs. Is that correct?

Which plug do these two wires (RY and BY) go to on the back of the fuse box? C (Yellow, engine compartment loom left), or D (White, engine compartment loom right)?

More importantly, any auto electricians feel like a day out to Leamington Spa before I throw petrol and a match at this car?[:x]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the FEI is the Fully Electronic Ignition unit, which is the larger box underneasth the TCI. It is often refered to as the ECU, but technically it isnt as it only controls spark and not fuel on a 16v.

If when you earth the red/yel wire at the plug under the scuttle the pump runs, we have narrowed the problem back to the FEI, the wiring to the inside of the car is fine (at least, the fuel pump relay trigger)
    Now you need to have a very good look at the wiring inside the engine bay, you're looking for any broken or dirty earth wires, and any loose connections to the coil area particularly.

There should be 2 spade connections to the terminal 15 side with black wires, and a red/black & green wire to the other side. Also check that the pin 15 side of the coil goes live with the ignition, you should have a spare pin there you can get your multimeter on.

Edit: Oh and disconnect the plug to the ignition control unit, and check for corrosion :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I gave up, and took it to Stealth. They'll have a look at it this week. I'll let you know what it was.
    Thanks for all your help, guys.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

It was the ECU. Stupid ****ing thing blew at some point. [:x]

Oh well, it's running now.

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

interesting that,origionaly no fuel to injectors,ECU(or FEI) on a valver controles ign only,nothing to do with fuel system,quit misleading IMO

8. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    The fei unit energises the fuel pump relay.

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

true,thru the red/yellow wire pos 10 on the fei,what i meant was its not like an 8v acu that controles both ign and fuel,wonder what blew the fei tho,there was mention of an earth off earlier on,we know that blows the 8v ecu,wonder if it does a similar thing with fei's

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't have thought so, as the fuel pump worked fine for a while. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it went, so I can't pinpoint what it might have been.

The only other thing I can think of is using the probe blew it? No idea really, just guessing.

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i wonder if the probe did it ,using a test light or multimeter test for voltage where as the probe adds it(i think) so if you touched an earth with a positive you could of shorted it