Oak Green 16V - Restoration project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6syncro, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Funnily enough the G60 Syncro does not have those flaps! I'm not quite sure if it's a Syncro chassis feature not to have them, or if standard 2WD G60s don't have them either!

The area you've pictured above is exactly the area I'm doing, except I have had to actually replace all the way around the filler hole. The rust had progressed far more. What makes it a heck of a lot more complicated for me is that this shell has already been painted quite a number of years ago. The body shop basically completely bodged the "repair" of this section; they had simply tacked the repair section I gave them over the rust. I'm now redoing that work with insulation shoved into the cavity to stop welding heat affect the paint... hence the decision to lap-weld the piece in, welding at as low current as I can possibly go. [xx(]

For the underseal I'm using the stuff from VW straight over the Epoxy 121. I do like the original VW underseal. I haven't purchased any cavity wax yet.

Some really good advice from GG above. I'm afraid in my case I'm just going to hope that liberal use of Epoxy 121 and cavity wax will make it last for another 20 years despite my likely improper coating / priming efforts.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

GC - Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it's too late for that particular panel but i will bear that in mind when i do the other side.

3. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

I don't feel so bad for cutting them off now. If it's good enough for the G60 then it's good enough for me! Sounds like you're having a nightmare. Good luck with it. I'm gonna go and read your thread now :thumbup:

4. Trev16v

Must admit my thread is in dire need of update. I've been saving up the camera pictures to get it done soon.

5. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

So my last update ended with this repair. Here it is cleaned up and painted temporarily.

[​IMG]

Next up was the lower part of the rear arch. I started cutting away the worst bits to see what i was left with. I made quite a few mistakes here..firstly cutting too much good metal instead of the bare minimum. I also fully welded the outer section first which meant the inner panel was then a nightmare as i couldn't get the welding torch in behind the arch lip. On top of that, i ended up with a huge gap at the lowest point which would have been great for water/dirt ingress. In the end i re-did this whole repair which i will come to later. This whole project is constant learning. These pics are the first attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the first bit of paint. I'm using Epoxy Mastic 121 from Rustbuster. Is has some good reviews and so far i'm quite impressed as it seems pretty tough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned earlier, the car was at my Dad's workshop but unfortunately it was getting in the way and had also been damaged. Fortunately i moved into a new house last September which had a pretty decent garage so the car was moved quickly! Here it is in it's new home. It was the first time i had seen it in daylight for over a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put it back on the rollover frame but unfortunately couldn't have it on wheels due to a lack of headroom. As luck would have it, it turns over with an inch to spare so no modifications were needed. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Also notice i had modified the frame previously to raise the pivot point. It now turns over with no effort.

More paint.

[​IMG]

There was a pretty decent rust hole on the inner arch above where the filler neck would be. This is a classic area for Mk2's to go due to all the road crud collecting up there. It was a repair i wasn't looking forward to doing as access was a nightmare. Also, as no repair panels are available i had to make my own. Luckily it's not too bad. I started cutting it back with a Dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    nut 20v, Trev16v and beetie like this.
  6. Trev16v

Nice. It is very satisfying applying the Epoxy Mastic 121 isn't it. I initially brushed it on, but later moved to spraying it on.

7. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, putting the Epoxy on makes it look like progress has been made. So far i've just been brushing it on.

On with the repairs. Bit of rust here so i welded this plate in then trimmed it back afterwards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterwards i got on with making up this repair section. Initially i tried making it in one piece but it the shape was too awkward so i did it in two. Welding this up was a nightmare as it's in such an awkward place. You can't get your head close enough with a welding mask on to see where you're welding. Unfortunately it's not a neat repair but it'll do. I've still got to finish cleaning up the welds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bit of arch repair where the trim rivet hole had rusted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some crust at the rear section of the arch lip. Started trimming back the rot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repair piece fettled into shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trev16v and GG. like this.
  8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I like metal work repairs a lot :thumbup:

GG. likes this.
  9. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

A few more....firstly, usually with the car being upside down i keep a plate over this access hole in the boot floor to prevent tools and bits from falling though....

[​IMG]

Well, like a complete idiot i had removed it and forgot to put it back..then dropped my hammer through of all things so i now have a nice dent in the roof. So annoyed. [:x]

[​IMG]

As mentioned previously i have already repaired this section of the arch but wasn't happy with the outcome at all. I decided to start again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inner arch repair panel was total crap and didn't match the shape of the outer panel at all. In fact i think it was supposed to be for the other side but labelled wrong. Anyway, i made a few adjustments to get it to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All welded up

[​IMG]

Still cleaning up the welds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, only a few more updates and this will be totally up to date. I'll have to pull my finger out to keep the progress going!

10. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Next up is the rot around the towing eye.

Started off like this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started cutting out the bad bits and preparing repair sections....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After digging out more underseal i came across this awkward bit of rust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, due to limited space there was no way i could cut that out for repair so i had to cut an access panel

[​IMG]

After the rust is cut away (mostly with a Dremel)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repair section made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much forgot to take photo's from there but here it is finished...apart from dressing down some welds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fitted a new tank support bracket so this arch is pretty much finished apart from applying the Epoxy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is now up to date. I will try and keep the updates going as i progress. My next job will be more painting.

GG. likes this.
  11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Some great work going into this.
    Always worth getting the genuine panels.
    Do you weld for a living? They look nice and neat.

12. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the positive comments. Yeah, genuine panels fit so much better but in most cases I'm forced to use pattern parts. It just takes more time to get the fit right.
    I have some welding experience but I'm not a welder. I use a fairly decent welding machine with good shielding gas which makes a huge difference in weld quality.

13. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Good on you for saving it.

14. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

So on with today's efforts....i removed the black bitumen stuff that covered the floorpans. I attacked most of it with a scraper then used some white spirit to clean up the residue. I got bored very soon so will finish it another time but it looks much better.

Before;

[​IMG]

After;

[​IMG]

I had planned on doing some painting today but continued with rust repairs instead. Today's focus was on the spare wheel well.

[​IMG]

Not sure what purpose this pressing had but it needed sorting. Instead of wasting time repairing it i cut it off and replaced with a plate. Almost looks like it was never there. Welding in this area has been a nightmare as the wheel well is made of mega thin sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was this massive hole.

[​IMG]

I removed the lip with a Dremel and cleaned it up, then prepared a plate to weld in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked into position then welded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too sure what to do about the back-side of this repair. I could either weld it...or paint it and cover the seam with seam-sealer. Any one got any recommendations??

[​IMG]

I then moved onto this access hole for the tank. I needed to make a repair piece so i cut a piece of sheet to the correct radius then used some pliers to fold a lip. I dressed it with hammer afterwards to get a tighter bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it for today. If anyone is doing similar repairs i recommend this power file as it's excellent for cleaning up welds in awkward places and removing material with some accuracy. It was only 30 on eBay!

[​IMG]

Trev16v likes this.
  15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looking awesome sauce! with the large round bung its your call really, I'd be happy to just seam seal the inside as its fully welded on the outside it aint gonna fall out any time soon. the original bung was just stuck in anyway right?

16. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. Yeah, i know it's not gonna be going anywhere...i was more concerned with sealing it from any more water ingress. I think i'm being over cautious. Some paint and seam sealer will be more than good enough i reckon.

17. mk216vrick Forum Member

This is a great thread for a novice to read and watch how its done, I will soon be carrying out similar repairs on my 1985 mk2 golf and your write up and pictures are of great assistance, also discussing the sealer you will be using and how to prepare repair panels.
    I do have a request though, please can you post a picture of the hand tools you are using when preparingshaping your panels for, so I can go shopping for the tools that I will need.

Great thread and im amazed at the condition of your mk2, mine is a 1985 shell and I know it needs welding, going off yours, I may have more welding to do than I had considered!

keep up the good work, great garage too!

Rick

18. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Rick,

I'm glad this has been useful to you. I was considering putting less detail in future posts as i thought it could get a bit boring but if it's of use to people then i'll keep it as it is. I'm not sure if my approach to these repairs is right or wrong but i just do what seems most logical to me.

I've been surprised by the amount of welding the car needed. The underseal hides a lot of horrors so i'm pleased i decided to strip it all back...at least i'll know it'll be right when it's done. You might find yours is a lot better than you expect..fingers crossed.

As for your question on tools, i've laid them out and taken a pic for you. If you have any specific questions then let me know. One thing i find most useful is a block of copper which is great to use as a heat sink when welding thin sheet to prevent blowing holes. Also an angle grinder with thin cutting discs can be more precise than you think.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Chris

mk216vrick, Trev16v and beetie like this.
  19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I'll 2nd that. I'm also very glad I took all the underseal off mine, and that a power file is a must. Very useful tools, mines a black and decker.

20. ManuGTI New Member

FANTASTIC work done with the oxidized material !!! Good restoration !!!!