OBX LSD Differential

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by d.j.ryder, Mar 13, 2010.

1. d.j.ryder Forum Member

2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I have one, and there are some issues, which in all honesty are easy to put right, and are cheap too.
    1st. issue. Diff is too wide for the housing(about 1mm on mine). Fix- get it skimmed back in a lathe
    2nd issue. Conical springs are crap and break. Fix- Buy some new Quaife ones
    3rd issue. The M8 bolts aren't that good a quality. Fix- New set of bolts
    4th issue. Still a small amount of swarf left from machining. Fix-clean it out.

I had the casing hardness tested and it was the same as a quaife, same goes for the planet gears inside, so I haven't an issue with that part of it. The overall finish is good, and the backlash is the same as I've found on the Peloquin and Quaifes.
    You might all be thinking that you still have to sort out the niggly problems, but bare in mind the diff is less than 300 delivered, and the parts to put right cost less than 25

I'm not promoting the diff. nor saying go out and buy one, but if you do, be aware that there are some issues, but they can be sorted.

Having a look around the forums there are some good reviews on them, plus a stripdown and rebuild here show some problems that need to be addressed:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556&highlight=obx+lsd

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

It seems there's alot of people bit ching about them, who don't own or have never owned them, only going by what some other people have said.
    1 complaint has escalated into 3 million bit ches hahaha, although there still seems to be a high number sold, and only a handfull with problems, which are the ones that are all over the Hondatech forums.

After reading 19 pages from the honda forum I've come to the conclusion that 3/4 of the guys, don't own an OBX diff, 90% heard stories, most of the people with problems have said it's too wide for the casing but have butchered it in anyway, and the others haven't had a problem at all.

4. Hotgolf

And how come you can't write bit ch, it ain't swearing?!

5. d.j.ryder Forum Member

where can i get the washers and bolts from??? as i am going to get one for my 02m, also hotgolf if i slip you a pm i have a flywheel that might need sorting cheers,dave:thumbup:

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Cracking write up Mart, is fixing the issues and fitting these diffs something you would be happy to do for others?

7. d.j.ryder Forum Member

sounds like a plan lol:thumbup:

8. lacking motivation New Member

It's an interesting read that, it does raise some interesting points but also that you can buy a potentially albeit copy of someone elses product (a slight sticking point for me) at a fraction of the price.

Pay by credit card I guess and it is probably only a wise purchase if you fit it yourself as if you pay to have it fitted and it subsequently goes wrong you will not be able to recover those costs (i'm pretty sure TSR quote around 400 to fit them but then maybe someone else could do it significantly cheaper).

I think I will save that thread and check it in a few months to see if users that are happy are still happy.

9. d.j.ryder Forum Member

the problems that hotgolf have mentioned are nothing really and its 220 del bargain i would say if you fix the problems before you fit??

10. Hotgolf

Bellevile washer direct from Quaife(I had mine from them) around 12-16.
    Bolts, socket head 12.9's from any reputable bolts supplier.

Honestly, stripping and rebuilding these diffs are very easy. You just have to take care taking the washers out, and keeping them in order so you know how the new ones go back in.
    Deburing everything and making sure it's all clean from swarf is the most time consuming, all of an hour if that.
    I'm still not going out and say buy one, it's entirely upto the individual, but it could be a cheap alternative to a Quaife. How they would stand up to regular trackdays is another thing. I don't know anyone using one in the VW circles that can testify.

As for the copying of someone elses product. Yes, it's not a nice thing to do. Peloquin did it though and no-ones knocking them for that, but it was Quaife fault for not copyrighting the product in the states. Bit of a nightmare, but it seems thats life at the mo.

11. Dan172 Forum Member

Possible to fit these to an 02j with the tri-pod style shafts?

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I see they do them for the 02A. Do they suffer from the same problems?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  13. Admin Guest

Dodgy post - dont click the link at a guess.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks for reporting. Spammer & post deleted.

15. Hotgolf

WARNING!!
    Just fitted another of these for someone.
    And, unless you got access to a lathe then it won't fit. The distance between the diff bearings is too much, and the casings won't close together. Even with a lathe it's a bit of a b itch as the material is really hard, and kills tips instantly.
    Don't get me wrong you can get them on, but it requires some work.

16. daveslp Forum Member

Hotgolf- outside of all the machining and cleaning, how does it drive?
    Can you compare it to a quaife or peloquin for drivability?

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yea. All that aside. How well do they work? Still a cheap option considering prices of others.

18. Hotgolf

I'll be honest, I can't compare it to anything on the road, as this is actually my first LSD but, it is built exactly the same as a quaife, so in theory should be the same on the road.
    The couple I've rebuilt have all used quaife washers inside so the preload will match too.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does it give more traction then? Any more noise from the box?

20. Hotgolf

Hahaha, um, yeah, box is really noisy, it's a Quaife dog box lol.
    Traction is good, and from what I've been told feels right too. A bit twitchy, and pulls around a bit, but corners are a breeze, although does take some getting used to as you have to fight it a little. Plant the foot and it just pulls it around.