OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I suggest go through my guide top to bottom. for starters I wouldnt recommend G1/4 to power coilpacks direct since we dont know what kind of load that pin is rated for long term. this [in is only used for single coilpack from the factory. As per my guide I would wire the ecu and coilpacks via a relay, most DBW are like this from the factory with the 428 ecu relay. dbc such as AGU dont use a relay but I wire both the ecu and coilpacks through one anyway just to be sure. T6/4 is permanent live to ecu, and also the coilpack/ecu power 428 relay on a DBW. The trick I use with these ecu is to dig the main live out from t64 and feed it direct from the battery in the engien bay, keep the relay box and put a fuse for it inline. this will take care of the coilpack fuse as well. for the DBW ecu T6/1 is just a switch on power for the ecu with next to no load, in this case I put it to G2/4 instead which is already fused by #15. T6/6 is usually unused

2. rubjonny

any codes logged? does the pedal read properly 0 to 100% or is it jumping to 100%. you need the maf connected it'll never run right without it, suggests you deffo have an issue somewhere. go back over everythign you have done

3. rubjonny

the DBW pedal has 2 sensors inside:
    33 - earth
    34 - pedal sensor 2
    35 - pedal sensor 1
    36 - earth
    72 - 5v
    73 - 5v

Mk324v likes this.
  4. Djent New Member

Yeah, thanks for the reply!!! But all I wanted to know if I'm right!

What I mean: I don't know the most things it this wiring work, I'm just started learning that all. What is the main principle? So I have these ORANGE, WHITE, BLUE, BROWN plugs from my 20vt MK4 AGU engine and also have these G1, G2 white plugs from my MK2 CE2 fusebox. SO! All I need to do is: using that chart, pull the wires out of these MK4 plug pins, and put these wires into the MK2 CE2 plug pins specified in that chart?

5. rubjonny

in a nutshell, yes :)
    Take care to read through all of my notes before you start, since as I say G1/4 isnt really suitable to run too much load from but you can run just the main ecu live for an AGU from it say with a fuse just have the T14/8 coilpack power from a fused relay. but if you were to do it that way, I'd suggest ecu live t6/1 goes to G1/10 instead and use a 30/32 ecu relay. if its a DBW ecu I would keep the 428 ecu relay in the holder in the engine bay, and run the live from T6/4 direct from battery with fuse inline. then the ECU switched feed T6/1 could be taken from G2/4 to save you a fuse since this feed doesnt have much load on it

Djent likes this.
  6. Mk324v New Member

That's great thanks, I'm guessing that they are ecu pins?
    do you happen to know what accelerator pedal pins 1-6 they correspond with? So I can check it's all as it should be.

7. rubjonny

yes thats right, if its a late complete pedal assy: (ecu pin, blue plug, pedal plug)
    34 -> 1 -> 6 - Pedal Sensor 2
    72 -> 2 -> 1 - 5V
    73 -> 3 -> 2 - 5V
    36 -> 4 -> 3 - earth
    35 -> 5 -> 4 - Pedal Sensor 1
    33 -> 6 -> 5 - earth

Mk324v likes this.
  8. Djent New Member

THANK YOU! I really appreciate that you still answer after so much years! Hello from Ukraine!

9. nickosy86 New Member

Need some help with the last few fan control module and a/c & after run pump wires for my 20vt swapped mk3. Am 95% done! This guide has been a life saver!!

car is a mk3 golf 1.8 ADZ engine code
    1.8t 20v swap AUM engine code

1 have 4x a/c & coolant wires off of the mk4 AUM loom which are:
    t121/40 t10/8 orange plug (aircon ready) blue/red
    t121/41 t10/7 orange plug (air compressor off switch) green
    t121/61 t10/4 orange plug (feed to control unit climatronic unit white
    black/blue (fresh air switch)

On the mk3 10 pin fan control module i have left over a:
    t45/33 Blue wire (a/c pressure sw??)
    t45/35 green/grey (air con on fan wiring)

What is needing to be connected to where? I'm a little lost as to why i have a few spare mk4 wires and unsure if these need to be somewhere else??
    Also, how can you wire up the after run pump to the original 10 pin fan control module. On my mk1 vr6 swapped car the after run pump is connected to the fan wiring and the fan/after run pump stays running for a few mins after its turned off.

Thanks

10. rubjonny

So the MK4 blue/red goes to the mk3 blue wire, this is 'a/c requested' feed i.e. power from ac switch being switched on. MK4 green goes to MK3 green/grey which is 'a/c ok', so 12v if all ac sensors report ok on the MK3.

white you can ignore, this is only used on the MK4 FCM. where does the black/blue wire come from?

for the fan after-run on the mk3 FCM this is triggered by a thermoswitch on the engine somewhere if the module has that feature, the AC ones generally dont have this but whats the pinout on the side of the module. usually its pin T

11. nickosy86 New Member

so its just the 2x wires that need connecting on both mk4 and mk3 looms for the a/c to operate.

black/blue wire comes from orange t10/10 plug.

pin t on fan control module from plug t10 is the bottom row 2nd from the left as per the fan control module diagram. the original engine from the mk3 didn't have an after run pump. do the fans keep running after car is turned off? don't recall if it does.

12. rubjonny

orange pin 10 is for the reverse switch :) if you have a wire in pin T on your mk3 FCM then there would have been a thermoswitch somewhere to trigger the after-run, the mk3 ac diagrams I have dont show it though. pin T is used for the coolant pump thermoswitch on VR6 models though.

the rad fan can run after switch off even without the thermoswitch as the radiator fan switch has permanent live, I dont think the 4 cylinder FCM has any other way of triggering the fans after switch off unless some mk3 ecu can trigger it via one of the ecu pins

nickosy86 likes this.
  13. Sir_Swish

Sir_Swish Paid Member Paid Member

This has given me the confidence to undertake my mk3 AGU swap. Thanks rubjonny!

14. nickosy New Member

Any ideas on to why cruise control would not be working? All new switches and cruise stalk in the mk3. Gone into VCDS and activated cruise but still not working got me stumped. below is how everything relating cruise it wired. any suggestions? AUM harness

Mk3 Cruise control stalk:

1 to t10e/1 blue
    2 to t10e/9 white
    3 to t10e/2 red/yellow
    4 to t10e/3 black/yellow also to ignition power

Mk4 brake pedal switch:

1 to plug e/4
    2 to ignition live (same as clutch sw)
    3 to t10e/5 white/yellow
    4 to t10e/4 red/black

Clutch switch:

1 to ignition live
    2 to t121/39 red/white

15. rubjonny

compare the cruise stalk wiring with the mk2 list here:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...l-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/page-3

did you check all the cruise control measuring blocks to make sure clutch, brake and stalk are being registered correctly by the ecu. also make sure there are no fault codes, and the vehicle speed signal feed is hooked up. pretty sure theres a measuring block for that too

16. nickosy86 New Member

Just confirmed wiring and all appears to be the same as what’s mentioned.
    In measuring blocks it seems clutch, brake and on on switch on stalk are working. Only one that I think could be the issue is red/yellow ‘set’ wire but that’s all connected. I’ll add a picture showing in measuring blocks with brake, clutch and cc on switch all on the 1 ‘on’ position.
    While in motion speedo works.

17. rubjonny

what you need to check is the output from cluster to your ecu, its the blue/white wire on ecu pin 54 and it should go to w/1

18. Sniki New Member

@rubjonny i wanted to start the engine while i have it on the stand, just to make sure all spark plugs are working, injectors etc so i have an easier time replacing something in case there is a need to as once installed there is clearance only to slide the palm between the engine and radiator on my Mk3 GTI.
    The engine is a 2.8L VR6 24V (AYL) code from a VW Sharan, it's same/similar to BDE i believe as it has VVT or as some refer them to R28 engines if that's a correct name too.

I wanted to make sure which wires are needed to start the engine.
    I ran the earth and Positive for the pump straight from the battery if that's ok for the engine to start (if ECU is happy with that).

Is the brown T6 - 6 pin connector all i need for the engine to start if that's the case:
    Pin 1 - Ignition live / ECU Power (Positive +) to battery
    Pin 3 - Starter - start cranking (Positive +)
    Pin 4 - Permanent live to ecu 12v good feed from battery. (positive +)
    Pin 5 - Not sure about this one, didn't use it yet: is it needed for the engine to start ? lambda, MAF, CC etc ?

and the DBW pedal to the blue connector.

I had a battery that we used for work during the day and it was almost drained.
    I used it for a decent amount cranking to prime the engine / get oil on the head.
    Once i plugged the brown wires Pin 1,4 i heard the ignition beep static noise and the pedal was working as the flap of the intake manifold was moving when i touched the gas pedal.
    i plugged the fuel pump straight to battery without going through ecu and the two fuel lines.
    Cranked it for like 10-15 sec but it didn't fire and the battery ran out ( i guess it wasn't cranking at enough speed).
    Is it supposed to fire fine like that, put the battery in the charger so it will charge overnight and will give it a try tomorrow.

Just wanted to ask whether i need additional wires for the engine to fire.
    like Pin 5 for lambda etc from the brown t6 connector or additional wires from T14a ?

19. rubjonny

yeah you can jump the pump direct, the ecu may complain it cant see fuel relay but it'll run ok

pins 5 and sometimes 6 on the T6 need switched live, fed from fuel relay usually sometimes ignition depends on exact engine code. these pins feed the lambda, maf, carbon canister, sai system etc power feeds. you also need to power up the t14a plug 5 and 6 are engine electrics, 7 coil earth and 8 sometimes coil power again depends on engine

if only there was a list somewhere showing all the engine loom pins telling you what each did and what kind of feed to put to them. oh wait :p

20. Sniki New Member

Tried all, no spark from coilpacks