OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Gonna put my real inside near fuse box.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

d/2 or d/7, or one of the ign live spades round the back :) d/7 is the factory pin if you must be 100% oem ;)

benthejettaman likes this.
  3. benthejettaman Forum Member

4. biggiepsycho New Member

Quick question, I'm currently doing a conversion for a golf from a 1.6 to 1.8t.
    The 1.8t lump wiring loom and ECU is from an Audi a3. The problem I'm having is that the engine wiring loom won't fit my golf. Does anybody have suggestions? I've been told I need a hybrid loom. My golf is a 2001 se model. Cheers

5. biggiepsycho New Member

The loom (AGU) is from an audi a3. Golf loom had 5 plugs .. A3 loom has 3 plugs of which only two plug in to the golf fuse box. And it won't run at all.. Not to mention the engine is cable thottle and car was electric. i have been told a 1.8t engine loom from an AGU will work. Others have also suggested the loom needs to be modified to fit my 1.6. it is a 16v

6. rubjonny

what colours are the plugs on the AGU loom? if your golf is DBW then there will be a left over blue plug which will be unused, plus you'll have to swap the accellerator pedal for a cable actuated one. might be easier to fit an aum/auq loom as that will plug right in if your car is indeed dbw, but you may have to change the pedal as im not sure if all the dbw pedal units are the same. whats your 1.6 engine code?

7. biggiepsycho New Member

Engine code is AZD.

8. rubjonny

if its an early type loom with a green plug then you have to swap 2 wires between the orange and brown plugs 1 reverse wirte and fuel pump prime wire are switched. see the list for more info on that, plus the green plug needs to plug into the white socket, modify the locating tabs if they wont let you or splice the whie plug on.

finally on the 10/14 pin plug you'll need to chop the plug off the car or the ecu loom and splice the right one on, match the wire colours and you're sorted. note 2 wires on the plugs are switched again but as i say match the colours and you'll be ok.

finally the black brake/cruise switch and blue DBW pedal plugs are unused and you'll have to fit a dbc accellerator pedal

erreesse likes this.
  9. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Hi
    Quick question
    i am using an ARY loom from a 4wd TT
    is this essentially the same as a mk4 loom ?
    its got a wideband lambda sensor on the down pipe and is dbw
    ta

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I have a few differences in my plug colours and wires to your list
    as follows

Brown 6 pin

t1 double blacks
    t2 purple/white (late i guess)
    t3 thick red
    t4 same
    t5 same
    t6 empty

orange 10 pin

t1 same
    t2 green/red
    t3 red/green
    t4 empty
    t5 empty
    t6 same
    t7 green/gray
    t8 blue/purple
    t9 same
    t10 brown/black

10 pin white

t1 empty
    t2 orange/black spiral
    t3 orange/faint grey spiral
    t4 same
    t5 same
    t6 empty
    t7 same
    t8 same
    t9 same
    t10 same

black 10 pin

t1 empty
    t2 empty
    t3 empty
    t4 same
    t5 same
    t6 empty
    t7 empty
    t8 empty
    t9 empty
    t10 empty

I also have the following BLUE 10 terminal plug

t1 grey/white
    t2 green/white
    t3 yellow/green
    t4 grey/red
    t5 blue/white
    t6 grey/blue
    t7 empty
    t8 empty
    t9 empty
    t10 empty

Can you shed some light on the differences ?
    Thanks
    Steve

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    erreesse likes this.
  11. rubjonny

all the same, slight wire differences is all. the blue plug is your DBW pedal plug, extend behind fusebox and plug in your pedal loom :)

erreesse likes this.
  12. Gloves88 Forum Member

To wire up the mk2 cruise control stalk to the mk4 AUM ecu I'm pretty sure this is all that's required (customary paint wiring diagram):
    Withlight.jpg

(12v rated LED or LED and resistor) (Brown being Earth)

That's based on mk2 switch which is as follows:
    IMG_20140406_211540.jpg

And the mk4 golf cruise wiring which is as follows:
    IMG_20140406_211701.jpg

I came across some info that stated the first mk4s with cruise only had a light that came on when the cruise switch was in the ON position (regardless of being set or not). Based on this if you run the white wire to an LED then earth (as per above) you should get a light on whenever cruise is on.

I've fitted this as per above now. Will be able to tell you pretty soon if it works for sure.

erreesse likes this.
  13. rubjonny

keep us posted :thumbup:

14. randomguy82 Forum Member

Thanks, I'm interested to know too. Just need to find one of the stalks with cruise - easier said than done!

15. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

So let me get this straight in my head as after reading this through 3 times i still cant grasp what i must be doing

This mk2 wiring loom will be plugged back into my fusebox eventually
    DSC_0008_zps7a6d64k8.jpg

i will not use any of this digifant wiring
    DSC_0009_zpsbc4wmlcx.jpg

This is the TT engine Loom, i will leave this intact and connect it back to the engine, cutting off what plugs i no longer need like A/C, VVT and maybe more
    DSC_0011_zpsljwmgwid.jpg

This is the main loom from the audi TT engine bay, i will remove the plugs that used to connect to the original fusebox, delete some of the wiring like the sai relay and other stuff that i no longer need as your guide says
    DSC_0010_zpsv8clrxyz.jpg

I will then join some of the Audi loom to the MK2 loom at the positions indicated by you IE: T10a - 10-pin connector: 1 blk D/1 or D/21
    Does this sound correct ?

Your post says get a t10a/t14a plug from a mk4 loom , its the headlight plug, can you supply a pic of the actual plug please
    Why do you use this plug ? and where do you plug it into after the wires are connected as per your guide ?

I know i probably sound like a fool and people have grasped your post better than me but i cant for the life of me figure out where to start

I have the soldering skills, bundles of heat shrink and lots of new loom tape, i even have buckets of enthusiasm and loads of spare VW loom parts, i even own a comprehensive terminal removal toolkit with a few of my own design in there too, i am the goto guy at work for electrical issues on cars and fix all types of electric and electronic stuff around the house

Please Jonny tell me where i am going wrong and help this old codger get it right .... First time :thumbup:

Thanks
    Steve:o

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    1990 likes this.
  16. benthejettaman Forum Member

the t14 plug is not the headlight plug but is found by the n/s headlight one half of it is the 3rd plug down on the right hand side in the top pic of the tt loom. you will need to cut the other side of the body loom from the car

dont remove the vvt wiring you will still need this

17. rubjonny

T10a is the same as a MK4 golf headlight plug, but only on early ECU looms. yours is late so has the t14a, you'll find this tucked between the battery and chassis leg on later mk4, and various other places nearby in other later vw, seat, audi and skoda.

the reason i say to use t10/14 is so the main section of loom will go in without any modification. look at your pic above and you can see the plug, its to the right near the ecu plug ;) note also the 2 pin plug with 1 wire thats the main ecu and coil live feed from the ecu relay in the box, you can either leave the ecu relay as is or put it on the fusebox. either way is fine :)

i can see a problem with your mk4 fusebox section the lambda plug(s) have been chopped off so you'll have to splice back on before the engine will run correctly (bottom left)

the ecu section of the mk2 loom can be bin ned but be sure to chop the scuttle grommet off it you can pop this on your mk4 ecu plug, as i say i pull the large mk4 ecu plug plus the wiper loom thru the middle grommet hole where the old mk2 ecu loom went thru. the other hole in the scuttle is then free for the small ecu loom plug, the wiper loom grommet may work for you here or if it wont go over snip one out of a mk1/2 donor or whatever.

you could use the old digi ecu 2 pin plugs for ecu power and fuel relay trigger wires, but it wont help you get the diagnostics, clutch, vss etc wiring back behind the fusebox so probably just as easy to strip all the covering off as per my guides. you could use oen of the many spare grommets on the bulkhead though if thats easier for you however

erreesse likes this.
  18. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I could not get the plugs for the lambda off without cutting them, I hope I still have them, if not I'll go to the scrapyard and chop another off
    I have downloaded the wiring diagrams from your sig and will delete the post cat wiring, leaving the pre cat for my downpipe

19. rubjonny

cool the lambda plugs same across most of the vw range, just a case of get the right one to match 6 pin if wideband or 4 pin if narrow. as you say post-cat can be deleted anyway so remove all the wiring for that if you like.

20. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

When I get home from work today I'll lay it all onto the car to give myself some idea where it all goes.
    I seem to have forgotten that the 2 audi looms join together and not just plug into the ecu separately.
    I had visions of each loom plugging into the ecu and not joining anywhere else, this I think is the main reason I can't get it straight in my head
    I'll keep you posted
    Steve