Oil Squirting from Oil Filter

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Garrick, Sep 29, 2010.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sure you haven't got 2 seals on by mistake? Sometimes the old one sticks on the housing, then the new filter has one as well - nice leak.

2. Garrick

Garrick New Member

deffo haven't got 2 seals on the filter / housing.

Hopefully if its dry! :lol: will whip the sump off tomorrow and remove base of pump. How can tell if the pressure relief valve has been sticking? Apart from if it looks full of crap

3. Garrick

Garrick New Member

Had sump off today, oil pump cover plate removed. How can I test the pressure relief valve off the car? see photo, I'm assuming its the bit in the middle where there is some signs of movement.

So far I've give it a good spray with degreaser, wd40 etc from both sides but thats about it. There were some filings etc in the sump and pick up pipe. Removed all these now. When I took the original sump off this engine there weren't any so I'm assuming they've got carried across with this pick up pipe and cover plate

[​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

The PRV is spring loaded. If you can try and get something in the hole and push it too see if it moves, that should tell you if it is ok or not. Just be careful not to damage any of the alloy surface whilst checking.

That does have some scoring on it. Is the other pump top in better condition?

5. sjm66 Forum Member

6. Garrick

Garrick New Member

pump ordered, fingers crossed it will do the trick.

Will keep you all posted next week :thumbup:

7. sjm66 Forum Member

good move...:thumbup: I can tell you now , if you'd have cleaned out the old pump everytime you turned the key on a cold morning you'll have been waiting for that oil alarm again. No fun.

Steve

8. Garrick

Garrick New Member

well, new pump and filter fitted today and no oil leaks so far (fingers crossed!), been out for a little test run and so far I'm happy and have a working car again! [8D]

even managed to scrub the driveway clean! bonus :lol:

9. sjm66 Forum Member

Good for you....:thumbup:

Steve