oil temps creeping up in traffic - Still got the problem. any suggestions

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Apr 21, 2010.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I spent sunday with eddie mapping my car, all day my car had high oil temps up near the 130 c mark on the guage, a couple of time the oil buzzer can on warning of excessive temps. anyway it was put down to thrasshing it around London sitting in traffic etc.

anyway on the journey home two hours of motorway driving at a steady 75 ish, the temp never moved above 100 c ish.

since then i have driven here and there giving it a good thrashing. oil temps never above 100c again.

until tonight left work drove steady for 5 mins then got stuck in traffic, oil temps soon started creeping up to the 125c ish mark

the car has a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate and a pretty big oil cooler, both lines are hot so i know the oil is flowing thro the cooler. it also runs the gti oil/water cooler.

water temps remain fine and the fan is working as it should be.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'd worry - even the manual says to pull over at 140 degrees, and that is really pushing it. What thickness oil are you running? The hottest I ever saw mine was about 120, and that was running in new crank bearings so a lot more friction and cheap oil.

3. danster Forum Addict

Not just a sender or gauge issue here alan?
    What is the water temp at?

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the water guage says its hot but nothing out of the ordinary, are you thinking it could be heat soak?

5. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Mine often gets very close to 130, but rarely tips over, even though the water is 1/3 up the gauge.

Must be a similar fault.

See my thread started a few days ago...

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

where have you put all your sensors dude, not used a T piece have you?

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

no T piece, jonny the sensors are all in the oil filter housing, AGG engine

8. danster Forum Addict

How is the gauge wired in alan? As it is driver model the loom may be different, the gauge may need a regulated supply to hold the volts to 12v instead of the charging voltage of 14v? I had a vw transporter with knackered fuel gauge on the dash and had difficulty finding a regulated 12v for the aftermarket gauge I fitted. It read fine with the ignition on (12.5) but as soon as you started it it would read high. V=IR.
    I prefer capillary gauges myself.
    Just ideas to check, hope it is nothing serious.:thumbup:

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its just a single wire feed to a vdo guage from a audi coupe

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm doesnt make any sence, is it definitly the correct rating sensor? audi vdo needs a blue temp sensor, not the white one as used on the mk2 mfa. also not runnign 2 wires to 1 sensor are you?

the oil warning buzzer though is worrying, if you really do have low oil pressure at the filter housing that would suggest a weak oil pump. might be an idea to get the pressure tested

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

I see similar temps in mine, but only around the 'Ring, and pre-mocal.

I have a 13 row mocal cooler, thermostatic plate, with the standard GTI cooler and a shorter oil filter (6N polo I think)

I still get up to about 120*C on a single lap of the 'ring. Following the Rolling Road Session at streamline, AFR analysis showed that it was running lean above 5500rpm, which I put down as the cause, because you're pulling 6000-7000 all the way up the 2.5km hill between Bergwerk and Steilstrecken Kurve. Water temps have never been above normal at the 'ring.

I'm running the standard MFA oil temp gauge, from the standard VDO / VW sender. I've got a separate VDO job to fit, but haven't tried it yet to compare readings, but if the car reads normal most of the time, then reads very hot, that would suggest it's not too far out.

So, have you done any AFR testing? I assume Eddie would have covered that during your mapping session? Alternatively, too much ignition advance, or even too little, could cause overheating I guess, as either way, the engine is working harder to maintain RPM.

I'd have expected about 80-90 degrees at a steady 75mph on the motorway though, so I'm not sure if your gauge is right, as suggested by Dan.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  12. Mike_H Forum Addict

+ Power and earth, surely?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I assume you're not still on the little Driver radiator?

14. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

correct and single wire to sender

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

why not it works in the Wolf R? but no its a 8v GTI one

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

oil pressure is good nearly 4 bar at idle, but idle is around 1500 rpm currently, it was over 2 bar a 950 rpm idle before the 288 went in

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

mike the car has VEMS AFR guage wired into the dash, idle is a steady 13.

[​IMG]

on a run oil temps are fine, its when its sat still idling thats the problem.

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its a puzzle. where else could i put the sensor?

Jonny got a PN's for the sensor, im sure its a digi one, i have robbed from an old engine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yes i know the blue sensor should be in the head. they have been swapped and the wiring altered too, the only mod i have ever found on the car thats not one of my own. other than the butchered Pierburg that got binned

20. danster Forum Addict

Is the "12 volts" supply regulated to 12 v or does it rise to charging voltage (14v) with the engine running?
    Disconnect this wire from the gauge, and check the voltage in the above two circumstances to test.:thumbup: