Parts Washer- Dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mikey-mk, Feb 7, 2014.

1. mikey-mk New Member

After popping over to my sisters one evening, my brother in law proudly opened the dishwasher to reveal some of his motorbike parts, that had "found their way in somehow".

The result was really good, though they weren't overly soiled to start.

So my girlfriend has indicated that when we move into our new house, she'd rather we get a new dishwasher than use the one that is in my own house. So this will leave me with a spare dishwasher.

So i was wondering has anyone used one for the same purpose? Did you put any degreaser in instead of detergent / tablets?

There will obviously be things to take into considering, removing the salt in the machine and possibly the rinse aid.

Ultimately, i don't crack on with using it, and find out i'm just peeing into the wind

2. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

ive seen many people use a dishwasher to clean there cars parts in on treads. ive never done it my self as i think my girlfriend would kill if she found out lol

3. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

See below....

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?216912-Dishwasher-Gearbox-casings

Funny you should mention this - got an offer of a new dishwasher this morn, one of the narrow ones but turned it down. I would think jizer instead of water would be the only way in these to make any real odds but I think jizer may go on fire if it touched the element, and might also eat the seals and other gismos so I gave it a miss.

Brian,

(caustic and nitric are the only real way for alloy bar bead blast)

mikey-mk likes this.
  4. mikey-mk New Member

Nice one Brian.G [:D], I did think about just de-greasing before hand then letting the the hot water and dishwasher tablets do their thing. I think it should do the job [:D].

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I just asked my sweetheart if she thought the cylinder head that's currently on the dinner table would fit in our 'counter-top' style little dishwasher...

...and she said "give it a try"

!

[:D]

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Has she any sisters that are single?

Trev16v likes this.
  7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

She has one actually, but in Australia.

Wonder if the old valve guides will slip out quite easily while it's nice and hot post wash? :idea:

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Maybe, and you'll get away with using a 3 pound lump hammer instead of a 5!

9. clarky1961

clarky1961 Paid Member Paid Member

I do this with mine all the time for my gsxr bike parts xl185 parts brings them up good to old back lights look good as new cylinder heads and barrels to but don't forget to wax the bores after there done

10. richie K Forum Member

We always used to use the dishwasher in my friends rented house to clean polo g40 parts.
    They came up nice and clean, and the dishwasher seemed fine.

Richie K

mikey-mk likes this.
  11. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That went well for me. It did just fit, after taking off the tensioner stud and oil pressure switch.

I decided to give the dishwasher the best chance by spending half an hour with a toothbrush and a tin of Gunk first, so the worst of the grime was off it before it went in.

This is the result:

[​IMG]

[:D]

The thing came out cold though, so had to warm it up locally with a heat gun to get the valve guides out. Didn't take too much welly, just a 1Kg lump hammer, wielded fairly gently TBH.