Passat 02A is different from seat 02A, is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carl loader, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

I've got myself a spare gearbox as im worried there's something wrong with mine. I noticed that around the bottom of the bellhousing on the passat 02A (from a 9A) that there are less holes than there is on the seat 02A for mounting (thats the passat 02A in the pic)

[​IMG]

On my ABF engine, there is an aluminium cradle which bolts to the bottom the block and then the seat 02A bellhousing bottom holes mount to this, but the passat one doesn't have so many holes

Is it a major problem? Not sure if anyones read january's PVW but the silver mk1 cover car has the same box as the passat 02A i have (or at least it looks the same casing), and i see that doesn't have this cradle to mount the bottom holes too

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wont be a problem, the MK2 doesn't have this cradle and you do see the gearboxes falling out. Likewise with 02a gearboxes from Passats :lol:

3. Carl loader Forum Member

Cool i just wanted to check. Hopefully will be swapping the box soon as i've changed everything else like clutch, engine mounts, crossmember bushes and im still gettin a bang when the clutch bites, especially in the lower gears

Does seem to go away though once the cars been on a decent drive on the motorway [:s]

4. rubjonny

are you absolutly sure its gearbox related, and not something like the subframe moving, or engine mount related...

5. Carl loader Forum Member

The engine feels nice and tight (using G60 mounts all round), i've just also fitted polys to the front crossmember. The bang only seems to happen at the clutch bite point, i've even had it sometimes when i bring the clutch up in first to pull off, and suddenly theres a huge thud somewhere from the gearbox area, sounds like loads of play has just been taken up, which also makes the car jolt forward

Its at its worse when cars started from cold, and only improves once its warmed up. It never used to happen for the first 2 months after having the engine in, but then slowly started to emerge. Changed engine mounts first, which did improve the problem but still there, then the clutch next which seemed to make the problem go away almost completely for a week, then it started to come back again.

I really need someone who knows a decent amount about gearboxes/clutches too have a look at it. Im just dreading changing the gearbox and the problems still there (i live in wiltshire near salisbury if anyone lives nearby who's a gearbox guru)

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

VW Golf 16v/ Seats/3A Passats had this to reduce NVH. It can be run without it. They also come with a black plastic sheild over the sump. 31 Code Passats and Corrados dont have the extra mounting holes on their 02A g/boxes except for one, the one to the bottom of the picture. This is where I have attached my engine cradle. The ratios in that g/box will be different slightly different as well maybe a AYH/K or longer AGC.
    If you comfirm the codes I may have be able to tell you the ratios.

7. rubjonny

long shot, but what about bumper mounting bolts, mine was a pain where the nuts in the brackets came loose and wouln't tighten without lots of messing about...
    Or how about a dodgy self adjust mech in the clutch cable?

8. Carl loader Forum Member

9. Toyotec

I will check the link. I have murdered 1 of these boxes so I will see if its the same problem I had a few years ago.

10. Carl loader Forum Member

Jonny: I did worry about the clutch cable a bit, i found that when fitting, there was no free play at the gearbox end when fitting the cable. I had to attach the gearbox end first, then get someone to use a lever to pull the gearbox lever forward so i had enough free play to fit the pedal end of the cable.

The cable doesn't seem to have adjusted out like it should (maybe cos there's not enough free play for it to move) but its not actually fully tight as there is a couple of mm play at the clutch lever, and the cable seems to operate this mechanism fine

Only other thing i thought is that maybe the push rod is slipping on the clutch lever as there is a bit of play up and down on the lever

Bumber bolted up nice and tight when i fitted crossmember so that should be alright

11. Toyotec

Right, do recheck the subframe as per rubjonny suggestion.
    From experience though it sounds like you will be installing that passat box soon. You present unit may have a chipped gear hence the BANG! 1st to 2nd.

12. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah that could be the case with the chipped gear. The other thing is that one of the diff casing holes that bolts the box together had a crack along it which had to be welded up (the ibiza was a crash damaged car)

I also find that when the cars cold, if im in say first or reverse, move off resonably quick, then quickly put the clutch in, i can hear something rock once or twice (almost like there's play in the diff/gearbox) and i can almost feel it in the driveshafts through the car

13. Toyotec

I suggest you replace the g/box mate...

14. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah i thought that would be the case. Cheers for all your help, i've been needing some confirmation on this for months :thumbup:

15. rubjonny

Sorry what does NVH mean [:$]

Oh and Carl, I remember my mate Ben (sc0rian) had the same issues as you did with his clutch cable, I'll ask him what he used in the end, or you could PM him :thumbup:

16. Toyotec

NVH = Noise Vibration Harshness

17. rubjonny

ah I see :)

18. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi Jonny, did he have the same issues with the clutch making a bang type noise?

19. rubjonny

no its fine now, from memory he put a different cable, perhaps an ibiza one? Next time he's on MSN will point him at this thread :)

20. Carl loader Forum Member

Im currently using the ibiza cable, but im sure there's nothing wrong with it, moves the release lever enough, feels lighter than the old 8v box did. Im almost convinced its the gearbox now so ill just change it and hope for the best