PB Engine- BANG@70, blown to pieces!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk28vICED, Jul 7, 2007.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good point about the knock sensor, I wouldntr buy new though i think they're all the same on 4 cyl 8v lumps, I had a 2.0 8v audi one on my 1.8 :)

I've used GSF & AVS headbolts no bother, as long as you do em up to the right torqu you'll be fine :)

Bores look minty fresh just like mine did, just get yrsen a set of 6 fly bolts :thumbup:

2. rubjonny

I'd take out the passenger seat and dump it in the front footwell on a ton of cardboard or wood. Lifting an engine out the boot without a crane is gonna be pretty much impossible, its too high!

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

I beg to differ! I lifted my 2E out of my boot with everything attached, manifolds, downpipe, all ancileries, flywheel etc.. I'm not skinny though :)

I did leave a nice big scratch on the tailgate though [:x] cracked the plastic trim and bent the centre peg for the spare wheel.

Was it you jonny that was telling us you put and engine in the front passenger seat to transport then got caught in traffic so reached for a rachet and started stripping it? :lol:

4. rubjonny

Alright he-man, I am the definition of skinny :lol:
    No wasnt me, i was lucky enough tpo have a crane available at both ends of my trip :thumbup:

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And I lifted the same engine INTO the back of my caddy without help, and I'm very definitely skinny...
    Jonny, you are a big girl.:o

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

So it would be walkable/dragable to the car, tip it into the front door on some board, slide it in proper. And reverse the procedure when home?

7. Phil. Forum Junkie

Get a mate to drive and do it drunk, much more fun! eh TSC... :lol:

Yes it can be walked on the sump, just be carefull it doesn't fall over and snap the dipstick tube.

It was easier to put mine into the boot as it was being dragged accross form the bed of a caddy which was on slightly higher ground than my car.

Parz, did you not have broken ribs too when moving it about?

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Easiest way to drag it is to put it on a bit of plywood, hardboard whatever and it'll drag really easily. From there I wouldn't thin you should have much trouble getting it in and out of the front footwell. You can always use a couple of bits of seatbelt as straps to stick over your shoulders if you can't just toss it around like an empty coke bottle as Phil and I can. And Jonny can't.:p

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Ha! I'd actually forgotten that...... feckin walls in welsh people's gardens....[:x]

10. Phil. Forum Junkie

Nothing to do with alcohol I'm sure ;)

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Certainly not, I'm teetotal!
    Just that a certain daft Welsh bint opted not to tell me that the drop on the OTHER side of her garden wall was about 40ft, as against 7ft on the side I was climbing to jump over it...... in the dark......:lol:

12. Phil. Forum Junkie

:lol: She was trying to kill you. Told me she has your life insured for a nice wee sum.

Back on topic.

As Jonny says those bores look minty fresh, looks identical to mine on the inside and mine has 126k on it (shows how well it was looked after). Just give it a good clean and see if you can remove the darker lip where the rings don't reach.

Give the pistons a good clean and if you're leaving it exposed for a week while off building international racing circuits it wouldn't hurt to spray some WD in around the bores and pistons.

13. rubjonny

so the consensus is drink 10-15pints of strong lager before you set off, then the next day when you wake up not only will you have a hangover but misteriously your new engine will be fully installed and running perfectly. Plus I'm a big girls blouse :lol:

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And you wear high heals and a thong in the privacy of your own home.:thumbup:

15. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Good advice there, I let my 1600 bores go rusty by mistake - check my old posts. Incidently, I put that engine back together after cleaning the bores by turning the engine over on a ratchet and squirting the crap out of the piston edges with carb cleaner. It goes ok, but I've only done 750miles on it.

16. SimonG Forum Member

Do you still need that engine mount bracket? I'm only in Kettering.

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Enough of the macho "I lift engines with my pubes" nonsense. Just phone up a mate to come and help for 10 minutes. They'll be happy to play with proper man stuff like engines, unless they're gay, of course.

Incidentally, I wouldn't say rubjonny is skinny, but he does have to be careful near storm drains.

18. rubjonny

And on my big nights out on the town on a Friday night [8D]

19. mk28vICED Forum Member

a 2e engine seems quite heavy to me... can only just walk around with the block on it own!
    been stripping the pb as i havent borrowed an engine crane yet...
    the conrod took the intermediate shaft out too!
    found a big end bolt that got sheared off....need to have a proper look still... i can see right through the engine and out the other side!

excuse my pikey method of holding the engine up....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

need to do polybushes on the x-member...anyone know how?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  20. rubjonny

why not just take the x-member out now, its only a few bolts ;)
    as for bushes, heat em up in boiling water to soften em, then try putting em on the floor, lay the x-member on top then stamp on it. Works a treat on wishbone bushes :thumbup: