pedal box for mk1

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Joes, Dec 27, 2009.

1. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

ive just fitted a bias pedal box to replace the servo in my mk1 still using the cross bar set up. The pedal is firm but the brakes are rubbish using a .625 for the front using std calipers, i would have no hope of stopping in an emergency it takes loads of pedal force to even stop the car at 20 mph. the whole pedal box with individual master cylinders seems a massive waste of money and time.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's interesting, because the pedal ratio has therefore not changed from standard. You've merely binned the servo and installed twin .625s.

I had a theory (will check) that the pedal box ratio on mine has been altered as a result of the fabrication work.

3. madasafish100

yea still the same pedal ratio as its still the same pedal used. ive got an arrangement from rally design that replaces the servo for 2 master cylinders and a balance bar. im using a .625 for the front and a .75 for the rear to prevent lock up. its still running on 239mm and i think this is the reason the braking is so poor. do you know the pedal ratio of the original pedal??

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Dub Nutta did mention it to me once. Top of my head, 4:1, whereas competiton ones tend to be 5:1. He hasn't been online since Nov, and may be away travelling, so we're going to struggle to get his input.

5. madasafish100

hmmm that exlpains alot. think i was being an idiot when i thought i would put this in, ive learnt alot since i bought it. im thinking of fitting the original servo master cylinder back in but can i use the original master cylinder that used to run the cross type system with a front back system i have now by blocking off 2 of the ports and fitting a proportioning valve on the rear? i ask this as ive re plumbed the whole car to front and back circuits now.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, this is what people do when piping a front-rear system through a standard m/cyl :thumbup:

7. madasafish100

think this has saved my ass. cheers chris!!

8. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

OPB Pedal box

Im about to order an OPB floor mounted pedal box for my mk1, but i am unsure on master cylinder ratios. The brakes are 239mm standard GTI set up. I can't afford to be swapping and changing M cylinders to get the feel right. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Scott

9. Admin Guest

0.625 are used in the pedal boxes pictured previously

10. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The issue with floor mounted pedal boxes is legroom and fitting the master cylinders in.

Also bringing the steering wheel backwards to compensate.

12. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

I should be Ok for leg room as im not very tall + dished wheel and OMP 60mm spacer. The OPB boxes do mount further forward than none car specific versions. I have it spaced the column down a little too, how far can you space it down before the UJ gets unhappy? Alternative's available?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  13. madasafish100

I spoke to Grant at OBP and he told me that when fitted the golf specific pedal box leaves the pedals in the same place as the originals. So unless he was just trying to fleece me you should be able to fit it and leave everything the same as it is steering wheel wise.

14. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

I spoke to Grant and confirmed this, i get paid on Friday so i will be ordering one. Il post an update once it arrives :thumbup:

15. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

[​IMG]

:thumbup: Its hear! Need to position seat rails now!