Photo comp. Judging

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by orangecruz, Jan 11, 2011.

1. orangecruz Forum Member

Some of you may have seen my comments on the December voting thread but I don't want to hijack that thread.

I think we should revamp how it works ie voting

Maybe a panel of judges containing the winner of the previous month (who can't enter that month) each judge gives a Mark out of ten ect for each pic that fills the breif then there added up hey presto winner. If it's a tie it goes to a open poll.

These are just my thoughts
    If you look back over the last few months people voting don't think of the breif when deciding who to vote for. So those who have taken the time to work to the breif don't get a look in ect. ( yes I do mean me ) but also others.

The aim of this thread is not to have a go at anyone but I know there are a lot of people on here and just think it should be made fairer for all. Please post your thoughts

Maybe if we got a few good ideas together we could have a vote on the best one

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

a vote on the voting system? [:s] want me to organise the preliminary vote for the vote about the voting system? :lol:

photography is about how you interprit it, I would say if the organiser feels there is no link what so ever regarding the topic and an entrants picture then he/she should be able to explain that and ask that person to re-enter. That is as far as it should go surely?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to put in my 2 penneth, I voted on the comp based on what I thought Festive Spirit was. Where I couldn't see that present, I felt I ought to exclude, irrespective of how good the photo was.

It took me a few mins to decide what was in and what was out, and then eliminate down to the one I voted for.

I suspect not everyone took this approach.

This is the OP's point. Otherwise it becomes a "good picture" comp.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

(go's away to look at the actual thread - wasnt in the country all xmas)

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

can only think of 1 picture which wouldn't make me think of xmas, as for deciding which is "xmassy" and which is "festive spirit" well I am too ill to try and work out those.

Either have broader catagories, or let the host kick back something which doesn't really link.

some good photo's in there though :thumbup:

6. orangecruz Forum Member

Thanks for the constructive **** taking I like your idea but my point was not to vote on the voting system but for all that care agree on a way of doing things.

Chris thanks for the comment

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Tbh, the simple answer to solve this is to ask the comp organiser to put at the top of the voting:

"This month's competition is on the subject of X. Please vote on the best picture you can see on this subject."

That way it's not a backlash, just a reminder to folk of what the comp terms are.

Tbh, most times, it's not a prob on the comps I've seen.

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ive seen people comment on it in more than a couple of comps tbh chris but ive never felt it justified as there has always been a link to every photo.

photography/art is about interpritation, it's what makes it interesting.

otherwise the topic would be "red car down a side street" and the comp would be pretty boring

9. orangecruz Forum Member

I agree with both of you but surly you should be able to show ANYONE one of the pics and them have an idea it's about x or y. Think the subject choice could be narrowed and maybe the organiser could say no to ones that don't fit

10. 1550samn Forum Member

i do agree, but i dont think such drastic measures are needed.

my 2 pennies = i think it should be a little stricter on what is allowed to enter in some occations (in no way a dig at Ant!!). this month is good all have ties and links to festive spirit open to all kinds of enturpritation. some past months have had ties and links to the brief but very very vaugely.
    as for the voting system i think it is worth reminding voters to try and vote for the one that best fits the brief.

having said that, i very much enjoy entering, looking, voting and analyzing the photographs with the forum and think it is a big part of the forum and works well as it is.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You can't narrow the rules without risking lower entries. That would be to shoot oneself in the foot.

Hence my suggestion to ask folk to just 'remind' folk to vote according to topic, in bold, above the poll here.

That will achieve the same, without officious rejection of photos, cue door slamming etc.

12. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Ok I must admit I do agree with you all, and perhaps I could have said no to some of the entries, however I don’t want seem to be "that guy" who does that, however if you are all happy for me to be a little stricter with the entries and with the voting then I will be.

There are and have been photos in the past that don’t really conform to the brief. Photography is all about how you interpret things, that said you when you are given guidelines it makes it a little easier.

Topics like "love" which we have had in the past can mean many a thing and can be shown so many different ways, where as "The Festive Spirit" narrows down the options a hell of a lot.

I personally don’t think changing the topics for broader ones is the way forward. I think maybe we should be a little stricter and if you are happy I will write up a full set of rules, which can be approved by the Mod/Admin team if they want?

I love entering the comp, I think its good fun and there are ALWAYS brilliant photos...

13. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I agree and will do this in the future on all the polls.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pls see above comments Ant. Don't compromise your entry volumes.

Edit: ignore, just seen your reply!

15. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Sure, thats the last thing I want to do and thats why I think I will do what you suggested.

I did battle to get entries this month and I dont want stop people from entering. I think as you suggest making the poll and the brief a little clearer will defiantly help.

16. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I agree entirely with what Chris says and Ant seems to be in agreement too.

Some months there seems to be only a very tenuous link between the subject and the photographs, and I have been as guilty as anyone.

But we need to remember that this is a car forum that happens to contain a Photography forum. There is some excellent photography advice to be had in here and we all learn things. The monthly photography competition is just a light-hearted bit of entertainment that encourages people to show off their pictures and allows for the armchair experts to have their say, sometimes very amusingly.

Let's keep it lighthearted and not burden it with too many hard and fast rules. If people want to go in for more serious competition (and some of us already do) there are plenty more places online where you can do that.

Keep up the good work, Ant - thanks for your efforts :)

17. 1550samn Forum Member

there are others but they are no fun in my opinion as they are so strict and evaluated. the comp on here is so much more fun and although you are right its a shame to see peoples hard efforts at creating an image to the brief go to waste against a image that has no/VERY tenuious links

very well said. Ant does a fantastic job and picked the comp up without hesatation. :clap:

18. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

It seems to me that the OP is bitter about something.

You're forgetting that this is just for fun!!

19. orangecruz Forum Member

I think people havnt understood what I said. I'm not bitter at all I as well as others love taking pics and was simply making my thoughts known after all isnt that what the forum is about. I wanted not to make it serious but simply to make it fair If I'm on my own with this then hey but as already said some pics have no link to the breif. It's only that Id like to see sorted so the people that have made the EFFORT continue to do so.

I was in no way digging at the organiser or individual people thanks for taking the time to run the comp and to others that enter

20. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

I do understand what you're saying my friend. I was under the impression that you seemed a little bitter regarding the results.
    The reason I say this is because... you seem to go on about it in the comp thread itself and then start a topic about it.

TBH, I comprehend all that you have stated and the fact that some people are lazy when taking photo's to be entered into the competition.
    I am not referring to the latest competition either, I've been here since November 2010 and looked back through the archives with interest. I wont go into detail about certain photo's but in the reflections competition there seemed to be a few that were missing the brief. A reflection as I interpret it is.. A symmetrical image!
    Symmetry being the key word! As I saw this, only a few fitted the brief and so I voted for the one that actually fitted the brief.

Last months comp saw some great entries and as I stated on that thread...........

It was at the point of looking at the submissions that this occurred to me!
    As been said by most.. It's open to interpretation, photography is an art form and an expression of ones self, I am still on the learning curve and have a serious amount to learn but it is a hobby that I love very much and with it, must be enjoyment/fun!!

My picture in Decembers competition (#1) Was open to interpretation but was probably more so, a pretty picture and that's why it got the most votes? I'll be completely honest and tell you that my initial thoughts were on 2nd & 3rd place (Delyth & ant) I thought that they may have won it because their pictures matched the brief to a Tee!

I've just posted on the December thread to explain my thoughts about the brief and I will post later to explain and to get the January's comp under way. http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2019272&postcount=25