Photo comp. Judging

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by orangecruz, Jan 11, 2011.

1. orangecruz Forum Member

Dooby. Thanks for comments. I opened this thread so as not to fill the comp thread with peoples thoughts on photo comp. Not bitter.

I like yourself have soooo much to learn and enjoy the comps and looking forward to januarys installment. Let's hope some folk make more effort to meet the brief.

2. Funky Diver Forum Member

I'm intrigued that you put that, as I'm guessing that you're part referring to the photo I submitted :lol:

In context (ie with it's title, which was "Ghost of Christmas Past"!!) it makes sense to me... and oddly, the wife got it straight away (she doesn't DO subtle!)

I do agree with the other comments written that this is a fun thing to do, and for some a learning experience, apologies if it doesn't make the grade in the world of professional photography, next time I shall take a more literal photograph, lol. But then photography is an art form is it not... and if you don't "get it" that's fine, but you shouldn't, in my opinion, stand in judgement for what others perceive as their expression of a concept.

And no, I'm not annoyed. I got what I wanted out of it (the entry) and it pleases me to have learnt something about lighting, composition and what I'd do different next time (I've already dug out the tripod!) But I do think that you may need to seek out another avenue for your own submissions if you feel that the competition isn't taken as seriously as you'd like it to be. :thumbup:

3. orangecruz Forum Member

My god I don't want it to be serious my comments rant based on one picture or one month ect just the general competition.

4. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Each photo in open to interpretation and people do see things differently all the time. If we keep the subjects with in reason so that everyone can participate. Choosing something like waterfalls will be hard for those of us who dont have them... Topics like Love, Hate, and thing with emotion is always challenging but equally at the same time can be seem in so many different ways!

I think providing we fit to the brief and the topic chosen then it will all go swimmingly. Its fun! Lets keep it like that.
    :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. Delyth Forum Member

Thank you! I thought your pic was a lovely pic too :) and I will deffo be submitting more in future - its good fun and thanks to everyone who did vote for my xmas dog - and Stella I was dying to say that he's actually a "she" :lol:

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Ive been reading in on this, I dont normally enter but I do normally vote for my favourite picture. I plan to enter at some point as I want to develop my photography skills as currently I take a very poor photograph!

Anyway I'm just throwing an idea out here but what if people write one sentence about their photograph when they submit it about why they think it fits the brief?

7. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

:thumbup::thumbup:

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

noooooo, just, no! [:s]

9. Funky Diver Forum Member

Or even just a title...

10. danster Forum Addict

This is a car forum with a fun photo competition. Not a photography forum with a fun car competition.
    It is just a bit of light-hearted fun to brighten the day.
    I do not have a camera other than the one on my phone. Some what limiting my ability to produce top shizzle pictures. I merely entered to help boost the entry list.

But the results are based on voting by all forum users, most with no photographic knowledge. This being the case, if one is only interested in the winning, it may be prudent to think carefully about the pic you submit and the reaction it will have on most forum members, play the numbers game. :thumbup:

4 votes
    [​IMG]

0 votes
    [​IMG]

The psychology of photography. [:-B]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  11. Funky Diver Forum Member

Well said Dan :thumbup:

I'm still intrigued as to how you got that Maxi to actually take off though. Some of it's 8 valves are actually working, right?

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I thought the dog picture was the best for the subject, and voted for it. I too have a Springer spaniel, as you'll probably know by the number of pictures of him that appear on here. Last year we bought him a Christmas hat. By the time I'd opened another present and turned to look at him, he'd eaten it! It is so easy to tell he knows he's done wrong, by the guilty look and hasty swallowing. :lol:

Still, at least it wasn't such an expensive 'snack' as the time he ate my passport, or a brand new shoe that I hadn't even had the chance to wear!

I hope female Springers are better behaved, but somehow I think they're probably not .......

13. 1550samn Forum Member

it merely adds to there charm stella....

14. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I found it somewhat difficult to recall his charm when I was looking at the little bit that was left of my passport and knowing it was going to cost me 90 to replace it! Good job I'm too poor to afford a foreign holiday this year :lol:

Here is an example of shoe in mouth accompanied by the guilty look! :o

[​IMG]

15. Delyth Forum Member

Oh dear I bet you wanted to kill him - until he looked at you with those big soppy eyes - he's gorgeous!

Mine has never actually chewed a thing and must be the laziest springer in the world - this is her in her favourite spot - falling asleep and as you can see she's a dub fan and loves attending VW shows :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  16. stella

stella Forum Junkie

She's lovely.

Mine is a moderate chewer really, and now it's just the odd shoe and toilet roll middles, though he's never slow in rummaging through the waste bin.

[​IMG]

Unlike my son's Labrador, now aged 7 months, who has chewed his way through the conservatory furniture, a door, assorted parts of the wall and all his toys!

[​IMG]

17. Delyth Forum Member

Animals eh - who'd av em :lol: dead cute though :)