Polishing - any more tips please?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Trev16v, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Okay - I'm really grateful for the advice guys, so cheers for that.

Now, surprisingly, the most time consuming aspect of polishing the outer rims for me is removing the old lacquer. I've spent hours applying stacks upon stacks of Nitromors onto the stuff. Some of that lacquer is surprisingly stubborn, even after I've tried scrubbing away any grease first, or lightly sanding it.

Anyway, I've progressed quite far into polishing one of the outer rims now and I must say that I'm much happer with the result. I followed the advice about using the different stages of wet and dry paper, and then used my polishing kit together with metal polish to finish.

The outer rims all originally have a series of fine lines when you look closely at them. I am wondering if this is an original diamond cut or something? To get rid of some of the oxidisation damage I've had to rub the metal down totally smooth anyway (sometimes starting with 400 grit).

As for the inner wheels themselves I think I'm going to get a local(ish) company to blast and powder coat them. They're based in Newbury. Can't remember the name. They're asking 30 a wheel to do that.

Now, if I have to do this work again in the future, I dread the thought of removing all that bloody lacquer again in order to do a simple repair. So how many of you are leaving the outer rims un-lacquered? I do realise that you have to take extra care to keep polishing them, but is it really that bad to leave them without lacquer?

Trev

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

mine are bare....they lasted last summer outdoors...i washed em every week and gave em a 20 min buff every 2-3 weeks....then a good clean up when i took em off for winter

you'l be pushed to find a clear that doesnt peel off

3. Trev16v

In that case, I think I am going to leave mine bare as well. Going by what you've said, looking after un-lacquered rims isn't going to be as demanding as I thought. Anything would be better than having to deal with this bloody lacquer again :lol:
    Edited by: Trev16v

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

the trick is to re-clean/polish before they look tarnished...once theyve gone all dull n pited its a big job

5. Trev16v

Is there some kind of wax that's good to use on them?

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

theres a few waxes....wheel wax and so on, although autosol or a good car wax will protect em a bit,some guys use wd40 on em but i find it messy

one more IMPORTANT tip...NEVER use wheel cleaner spray on em....hot soapy water only(car wash soap not washing up liquid) ...dont let get filthy enough to need cleaning spray