Polo 16v AVY Cam setting?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Hotgolf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I've had to strip down the head on the other half polo GTI 16v with AVY engine code.

But, I've no idea how the hell to time them back up as there's no keyways for intercam timing as I've had to remove the pulleys.
    Is it all done with timing pegs? I've looked pretty hard but can't find any info on it at all, and I'm getting pretty desperate.

Any help would be great.
    Mart

2. danster Forum Addict

Mart, I have a manual for a mk4 golf here that has the small 16v engines in it. Give me a minute to look it out and will see what the score is. :thumbup:

3. danster Forum Addict

4. Hotgolf

That would be great :)
    This has the cams with 2 pulleys on one and 1 on the other.
    Engine shat the oil pump pump and seized a cam in the head. Cam out, polished on the lathe, top head chamber dressed and all's good.
    Apart from this timing issue :(
    At worst if it is the right info scan the cover and I'll go buy a manual lol

Cheers Danny.

5. danster Forum Addict

The pulleys are keyed onto the cams., it then looks like there are 2 holes about 8mm in diameter that need to be held together a certain distance apart to time the cams. The holes for this tool are in around the 2 oclock position for the big pulley, and 10 oclock for the small pulley.
    This is the tool.
    [​IMG]

6. Hotgolf

Oh, no key on the twin pulley camshaft that I can see. I'll gte a pic up tomorrow. Etkas not showing a key either, although the diagrams aren't that clear, but nothing listed in the part numbers.
    The bl00dy cams are in the rocker cover too, pig of a job :(

And the mills not working either. When I press the 'on' button something just buzzes in the main power supply box. It don't rain..............it p155es down!! hahaha

7. danster Forum Addict

Emailed scans. The pin hole in the large pulley is behind the outer part by the looks of it.
    Let me know if those scans are ok. :thumbup:

8. Hotgolf

9. Hotgolf

Will do tommorw mate, bed is calling .
    Thanks again :)

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I can get you pdfs printe from elsawin too if you need it, whats the year of the car

11. Hotgolf

Now that would be great. It's a 2001 1.6 gti AVY. I can get the chassis number if needed too. It's not like it's going anywhere hahaha.

12. rubjonny

cool chassis number would be good too, feel free to pm it to me to save the risk of car cloning. except from me...

13. danster Forum Addict

There are keyways on both cams in the pictures in the manual I have.
    They look similar to the 16v exhaust cam to timing belt pulley on the KR / ABF.

You could go "old skool" and just set the inlet / exhaust cam lobes so the valves are on the overlap at TDC. [:-B]

14. Hotgolf

I was thinking of TDC overlap, but not too sure if I can get it dead right as the small belt is tensioned when the rocker is on, so I can't see if anything's going astray.

15. mark25 Forum Junkie

Some of those small block double sprocket engines have lugs on the sprockets that go into notches in the cams. Not sure about AVY tho.

16. Hotgolf

Had a goooooooood look this afternoon and think I've got to the bottom of things.

Neither cam has a keyway, but both have a dowel hole at the rear, and both bolt on sprockets also have dowel holes, although the 1 sprocket thats attched to the main pulley is on a highly sprung tensioner whilst the main pulley is fixed solid to the cam to allow the intercam belt to tension and not lose position.

Timing the cams is basically inserting the locking tool in the rear and tightening the bolts on the locked/doweled pulleys at the front.

Easy eh?!!
    Well, finding the rear locking tool is a nightmare! But..............
    I've sat the head/cams on the bed of the mill on parallels, and I've locked the cam thats ok in position with the dowel.
    I've got hold of some slip gauges and have 'slipped' the gap under the dowel and I'm setting the 'loose' cam to the same gap, meaning the holes are parallel. Fingers crossed that should be it!

I just have to make sure the pulley tightens up on the cam as it seized in the head and spun the pulley when the oil pump died.

I've found a good right-up on setting the timing belt, but the cams are a nightmare. I'll make sure I make a locking tool to suit after this palaver!!

17. rubjonny

engine code? never know elsa might have something handy on this. though probably not :lol:
    also while im there let me know if there is anythign else you want printed off for it, wiring diagrams etc. Elsa for this model will have a complete set of manuals :thumbup:

18. Hotgolf

PM sent ;)

19. Hotgolf

Just a quick update on this one.
    head is rebuilt and on. Cam was re-aligned the way I 'thought' it might go. Oil pump replaced. Went for a drive, and the oil buzzer came back!!
    Don't do what I did, and forget to clean the pickup pipe.......1 unblocked gauze and jobs a good'un.

But, the cam needs to be re-set properly as I'm getting a 'G40' cam position sensor error on VAGCOM, so it's bite the bullet for 72 for a 3 min job!! Car does run nice and quite but tickover is a little lumpy.

Anyone got a T10075 cam tool I can borrow????

A big thanks to everyone who's helped and has replied. All the info was used to some extent, even from the earlier engines as alignment and timing is a right fooking potch on these crappy little engines. B'stard to work on lol

20. mark25 Forum Junkie

Sometimes that g40 alarm goes away when the engine's running. It's a fault with some VW systems, mainly SPi models.