Polo 6N Rally Car

Discussion in 'TSR Performance' started by RallyXS, Nov 25, 2010.

1. RallyXS New Member

Hi all,

I've just bought a VW Motorsport built rally car which was originally built for the VW rally cup in around 2000. It's currently in GrpN with Proflex suspension.

Basically I'm looking for any information about the car, and have had two names mentioned, TSR Performance and Chris Eyre, so hopefully this forum will reach them both.

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes initially as I'm going to run it on tarmac next year, but not really sure where to look. I also want to get hold of some OZ magnesium wheels.

I beleive the engine and 'box are standard, so would be keen to know what is available. I was thinking it could do with a diff if I'm going into the forests with it.

Anyway, any information any of you guys on here have would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Evening. Happy to help where I can.

Firstly the car may have had TSR Performance sponsorship, and I can confirm I've not had anything to do with the car itself. However I do know about these cars as I maintain www.vwmotorsport.info (independent site).

As you say, built by VW Motorsport (Hannover), essentially Group N spec cars, plate diffs, Proflex, nice cages, all seam welded I guess + the mag wheels you mention. What wheels has it come with? As far as I know mag wheels are now banned in rallying, possibly just forests, but check. To do with fires and so on. It should have a plate diff in it already - can you check?

The thread should best be moved to the VAG Motorsport forum section, but I'll let you see this reply first before moving,

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Andy Gwynn bought the last of the spares for these along with a new shell..
    worth contacting him - he has the 7x16 mag rims also

the car was in staverton (cheltenham) last I saw him/it
    I had heard he had had a nasty accident at home however since so I dont know if he's ok now tho..

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Rally Cup cars are the Group N cars whereas the car Bill mentions is a Kit Car with different offsets & those (tarmac) wheels are too big to go under the Group N arches. Absolutely huge things tbh.

If you can run 14" wheels in magnesium, keep an eye on eBay, as the genuine VW Racing OZ mags do come up fairly regularly.

5. RallyXS New Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the information. Just to confirm, TSR and yourself Chris were mentioned by someone in a VW dealership who's had a bit of motorsport experience with VW cars, not that you were anything to do with my car. Anyway, I used the car for a road rally this weekend and won our class. Car was faultless all night.

I'm fairly sure there is no diff in the car at all, so perhaps it was taken out at some point. I've actually hired a car off Andy Gwynne before so knew he was building a Super1400 Polo.

It came with 6 OZ magnesium wheels, but never heard they've been banned Chris, I still see loads of cars using them.

Hopefully some will come up on eBay. Thanks again for all the info.

Scott.

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

since when was a 7x16 rim too big to fit under those arches?
    really?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's the offset - I have the S1600 I Polo Kit Car gravel wheels and they were sold off a GpN Polo due to not fitting.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Only what I've heard - it could be stage events, or possibly just forests. Interesting if it hasn't happened [:s]

9. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Can we have pics of the car please :)

10. pettsy Forum Member

was it the blue one that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago?

11. gti cupra New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for rally shock absorbers for a Seat Ibiza Gti Cupra (1997) GrN. (Proflex, Blistein).
    Thanks! Please contact me in my email adress: molnar.gellert@freemail.hu

12. RallyXS New Member

Yes it was.

13. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Pics please!

Sounds like a cracking little toy!

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm pretty sure I saved the ad down.

15. RallyXS New Member

16. RallyXS New Member

17. majic79 Forum Member

Awesome, I've bult my car to GroupN specs, but it looks like you have a bolt in cage? Just got to get the plumbed in extinguisher and I'm set for stage rallying. My nav's a novice (and so am I to be fair) but we've just done our first year of road rallying, and well pleased with the car.

Wish I'd found and bought one of these instead, but hey ho, no regrets on building mine!

Been looking at the VW motorsport catalogue, I think the diff and close ratio boxes were optional extras (I've got three gearboxes that need rebuilding, really want to make one a close ratio box with a diff....)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I recognise this now & saw the eBay ad when this was up.

As you say in post 1, it was built by VW for the World Cup event. From the cage it looks different, as I think all of the Polo Challenge cars were multi point weld in cages.

I have 1 picture of a car with a 709 registation plate (the three numbers, everything else identical to yours), with World Cup rally plates on it.

19. James W

Looks good, surprising how much original trim is still on.

20. James W

Found a pic for you, think it's from the Tempest Rally in 2009

[​IMG]