poly bushes mk2 Q`s

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by micky1, Nov 17, 2003.

1. micky1 Forum Member

Ok dudes cheapo`s for me!

What about the front ones.Got to take the engine and box out so i`ll change them all.She`s been clunking alittle up front recently so i guess something knackered.

Oh yeh,got a cracking deal on the rear vibratech engine mounts at inters this year.They don`t seem any harsher than the standard ones but are quite a bit more expensive.
    Edited by: micky1

2. NormanCoal Forum Member

acf - mine wasnt too bad, and my car is an 88 model

Micky - the wishbones can be a pain in the arse to press in, but aint too bad. Like all things, easy once you've found the best way

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

don't i need a special spanner to undo brake lines chris?

4. smithy Forum Member

No special spanners needed for brake lines.

5. Jettin' Forum Member

I would get a brake spanner if I were you. You dont want to be rounding copper brake nuts.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I got a brake line spanner from halfords for a fiver, made the job a bit easier.

I also replaced the solid lines and swapped the rubber flex`s for braded lines while I was in there, it make sense to do it all at once since you have to take the lot off anyway.

7. jc.. Forum Member

Just replace all the lines and hoses on my rear beam and mashed in the bug pack rear beam bush insert.
    Not sure what it will do.

Didn't buy a brake line spanner as i am not a spanner and didn't envisage rounding any nuts.
    Copper pipe and fitting are a piece of pis5 to fit the b@stard bit is getting the old ones off.
    Cut most of them off as they were just large lumps of rust. Steel pipe is a bit shagged on the rest of the car so may replace that as well.
    Actually quite enjoyed it, think I will go work for Kwik-fit!!

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

an other (cheaper) options for new brake lines other than goodridge? i can't really afford them, could always get new o.e. ones, not ideal, but may be better?

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You can get earls but they`re about the same price, I just changed them to save me doing it all over again later.

You may as well leave the flexis until you buy braided stuff and do it later, unless the rubber flexi`s are completely shagged..

I`m not a spanner either and have used it on a few other cars since so it`s paid for itself really..

10. mk2driva Forum Member

im gona get new wishbones soon (cause the ECP ones i fitted are Cr*p). ANy ideas where i can buy decent wishbones with good front bushes in them already or should i buy the wishbones seperate and put decent bushes in them?

11. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

hey mk2, got 2 bare wishbones from GSF, and just fitted poly bushes. the wishbones came to 26 quid and bushes were 15 i think, they are just bug pack ones so gsf will give you the price. if your going to do it might as well get new ball joints at the same time.

12. mk2driva Forum Member

i replaced them all 6 months ago but the bushes i think are of poor quality (they came with the wishbones fitted) and i did the ball joint then as well, so thot mite be able to take the current ball joints and put them on the new wishbones. Are the bushes ok? were they hard to fit??

13. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

no just got them squeezed in with a vice, dead easy :) if u've got newish wishbones just replace the bushes mate.

14. mk2driva Forum Member

good stuff. doing the brakes as well at the same time so thot mite save bit of time. roll on friday when i get paid :p

15. wussel Forum Member

How can you see if the wishbones have seen better days? Rust, bent arms? Just wondering if I should change them as well whist I am under there doing ARB's, Bushes, bearings, ball joints and brakes.

I suppose for 26 I might as well, or would be a waste of money?

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If you buy bare ones it saves you the hastle of pressing the bushes out, plus mine were a bit rusty!

17. mk2driva Forum Member

out of interst can you buy wishbones with polybushes in them already from anywhere?

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

which wishbones did you get (without bushes)? and how much?

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I got Febi ones bare from C+R (other people have had problems with these though), I think 26 for the pair at inters.

I had no bother, poewerflex bushes went in nice `n` snug and it all fitted fine.