Premium fuel or what?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by D11BBA, Feb 20, 2007.

1. oak8vgti Forum Member

haha

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. s24da Forum Member

so did it say why the BP ultimate stuff was better still? does it have this FMT? or something better?

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Thats all i need to hear on this one tbh:)

My car just runs better on shell petrol, and its noticable. All my friends with good cars feel the same.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wont the initial amount of wear be due to running in?

on normal cars (ie with loads of mileage already) the damage is therefore done. i cant see myself doing another 50k any time soon just to clean off build up lol

5. Mk14life Forum Member

BP ultimate 102 cost 2.40 a litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Specifically targeted at track day cars, made in small batches and only available at a very limited number of stations. They (evo) put some in a porsche 996 GT3 normal bhp is 360, they then put 102 in and remapped the ecu to run specifically on it end result being.........................430bhp!!!!!!!!!

Still its a heck of alot to pay for petrol. I use V-power and BP ultimate 97ron and stick abit of redex in here an there to give the injectors a clean every now then.

I saw on 5th gear something about bio-fuel. Apparently Tiff was saying that it gives more performance (he was ragging some lotus elise around at the time) - but i don't know if it would run in my car and certainly would try it until i know more about it.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bio ethanol... its what tesco put in their 99 special brew.

7. Mk14life Forum Member

have you ever used it? do you know if it's any good or not? I'm not really that keen on using supermarket petrol.

8. garfayliu Forum Member

I used Tesco's cheap stuff all the time, unless I run out near something else, then it's the cheapest garage gets my business.

9. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

Luckily my local BP garage sells Ultimate 102........ at 93.9p per litre I think [:s] [:s]

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i thought 102 was like 2.50 a litre?

tesco99 is fine, millions of people must use it. my abf gets better mpg on tesco99 compared to optimax, powerwise there was nothing in it

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Im not sure if its 102 but their top juice is about 2.50 a litre and is only available in about 5 garages around the uk these are next to race circuits for trackdayers, normal bp ultimate is the same as v-max but not as good imo.

The mk1 has only used v-max/optimax for the last 6 years or so ,i wouldnt touch shopping fuel. Aviation fuel with octane booster is the way:lol:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  12. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

i really cannot notice the difference TBH. ive used normal shell in all my vws. since getting my mk4 golf ive used optimax a bit. ive now stopped as the only difference i can feel is having less money in my pocket. this "added response" your suppost to feel from using optimax is marginal if anything. as far as im concerned i have better things to spend my money on than pricey fuel. all psychological in my opinion!

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well there will only be a difference if A) you have a map thats mapped to advance more than 95ron allows and B) if you have a knock sensor system that pushing timing forward

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

inside my fuel cap it still has the original factory sticker saying that a minimum of 98 octane should be used, I always use premium fuel apart from the couple of times were its been unavailable, and i can defently say it makes a difference.
    Im trying all the different ones apart from supermarket stuff, and they all feel the same, still gota try esso thou!

15. oak8vgti Forum Member

the only way to tell if it makes a difference power wise is to rolling road the engine running on the 2 different fuels and see the power results, you wpnt feel a small increase in power to it does help

16. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

As mentioned in the other thread, the knock sensor system won't increase advance, only retard it from the base setting.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but that was only on the mk2s tho. the mk3s im sure advance it again

18. oak8vgti Forum Member

nope the knock sensors retard the ign only

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and then the ecu advances until the knock sensors detect knock and retard it, non?

20. oak8vgti Forum Member

the knock sensor detects knock and retards the ign till it stops, the ign does advance but only done by the ecu and not the knock sensor

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007