Premium fuel or what?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by D11BBA, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so it advances again basically

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, it tries to run the mapped advance. If it knocks, it'll back off the timing. It won't keep advancing beyond the ECU map.

3. oak8vgti Forum Member

the ecu advances the ign as per the ecu ign map, the ign is not advanced by the knock sensor

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thatll be because a knock sensor.... senses knock lol

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and if your map makes no use of high octane fuel, you wont gain anything from optimax

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

the ecu has an ign map inside that it runs off at different revs and loads, knock occurs when the ign is too far advanced or from hotspots which ign the air/fuel mixture before tdc, the knock sensor detects knock and gives out a voltage, this voltage is processed by the ecu and the ign is retarded until the knock stops

the knock sensor does not advace the ign

the high octane fuel burns stronger so increasing power output

the fuel/ign map puts the amount of fuel required against the ign timing required at differing revs and loads

so the map doesnt need a better octane rating, its how the fuel burns and the power it produces

the map cannot advance past its own limits, again this has nothing to do with fuel octane ratings

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

burns stronger? more explosive? lol thats a new one. so what are the callorific values of optimax vs normal 95?

i think its shell's own site that confirms the callorific values are basically the same, so it doesnt have 'more bang' lol

8. oak8vgti Forum Member

you been reading up on the internet again :lol:

oh and optimax doesnt exist anymore :lol:

and i didnt say it was more explosive, but i will correct myself on what i did say

shell v power contains friction reduces so making better use of the stored energy within the fuel

thats fact, the increase felt by the driver tho might not be noticable but the fact tests prove the fuel helps to clean off deposits within the engine which helps to produce a more effiecent engine is good enough for me :lol:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  9. salsheikh Forum Member

didnt tope gear/fifth gear do a test and sow that shell is better than bp and is only really makes difference in the higher bhp cars. i think they did tests on 3 different cars varying in bhp and shell came out on top. recent autosport show had tesco's showing off there 99ron fuel and there was a lor of interest. i read in the auto express mag that the fuel comes from the same refineries but then has additives put in by shell/bp in there brands but its pretty much the same.

10. oak8vgti Forum Member

shell make v power themselves at their refinary in cheshire