pug 306 coilpack & standalone Q

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DGT, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DGT

DGT Forum Member

mk1 golf, abf, jenveys and emerald.

the ign 12v+ supply wire to my coilpack is getting pretty warm!
    im using the pug 306 4 post coilpack (as per benscab and abfdmk1 etc) with the 3 diode trick, when i turned on the ignition for the first time the coilpack was making very slight crackly noises, sounded like expansion ? and the supply wire was pretty warm..

im thinking the wire isnt man enough?
    what size of supply cable could anyone recommend?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Is your coil pack wired as below?

Renault/ Peugeot Sagem 4 pole coil pack wiring.

[​IMG]

3. DGT

DGT Forum Member

found this thread http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232929

so i need to find that part of a pug loom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3 & 4 are sometimes switched on some fyi, but it makes no difference wiring wise

5. DGT

DGT Forum Member

Cool, thanks.
    im going to pick up the surpressor from peugeot today. ptno 6555.K9

while your here rubjonny:)

there was only one spare ign switched spade connection on my fusebox, is it ok to connect the coil,ECU and injectors to this o/p..id imagine theres quite a draw from the coil?

also, approx what size () of cable should i use for the do you think?

thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. rubjonny

what i would do is wire an ecu relay up for the ecu and coil lives above the fusebox using a vw relay holder, and plumb in the factory fuel pump relay and use that for injectors, pump and lambda (if fitted). or just run injectors to the ecu relay as well, this is what the digi 2 ecu wiring is like on the pre-90 mk2 anyway.

the relay wiring would be easy peasy, spade to the live terminals for the power input, trigger to the ign live pin you found and output to whatever you want to run off our relay. the trouble with the ign live spades on the back is usually the fuses are only 10/15, which may not be enough to run all the gubbins you want!

7. DGT

DGT Forum Member

that sounds like a plan!
    im not really clued up on relays..would you know the type/spec of the required one?

where would i get a relayholder? im restricted to the dealer really or GSF cos theres no scrappies.

i have the later CE1 fusebox to which i have fitted the digi pump relay as it was originally a non injected car.

from battery or just fusebox live?

not totally sure what you mean by this?

thanks again

8. Toyotec

DGT,

The ECU will be powered via the switched live from the Digifant relay. To make acitve you need D2 = 12v supply to R1 and ECU 12v output on R2.
    The injectors should be powered via the fuel pump output i.e the 2.0 mm Red/Yel.
    The coil pack should be powered via KL15 or ignition live ( same wire Blk wire that powers your single VW coil)

This is how I would recommend integrating any SEM into a vehicle regardless of brand.

Re - the Sagem Coil pack. Pins 3 and 4 are linked internally, however the if it comes from a Reno/Pug and you have the 4 pin female connector, you would find pin 4 goes to the suppressor/capacitor.

9. rubjonny

since the car was not fuel injection you cant use the mk2 ecu relay socket unless you can find a plug 'R' from a CE1 digifant engine loom unfortunatly, hence why I suggest relay holder above the fusebox.

the holders can be had from loads of vw/seats as lots of them have holders for some reason or another. pre-90 mk2 gti have them for coolant level sender relay, k-jets sometimes have them for idle control relay, get em on cars with electric windows, rad fan after-run etc. relay itself id use a 53 relay pinched from the same car you get the holder from will do you nicely, or a std automotive switched relay will be fine as well. coarse you could use aftermarket relay and mount it some other way, i just like the neatness of a vw holder clipped direct to the top of the fusebox

10. Toyotec

You do not have to use "R" plug if one is not available. Just suitable flylead connections as I have done in the past.

Alterantively you can use a 4 pin relay and make the circuit for switched live (with a fuse) KL87, KL 30, and relay coil 85 and 86 job done.

11. rubjonny

it wont be very nice without plug r, the pins wont be secured properly! unless you have found a suitable plug that fits? if so where!

12. DGT

DGT Forum Member

ok, so ill fit a relay no53 in a holder for the coil and ecu, powered from a perm live o/p from the fusebox?

so i can use the o/p from the fuel pump relay for the injectors also?

thanks again

13. rubjonny

yeah you'll have perm live, ign live and earth to the 53 relay, output to ecu & coil. fuel pump relay can be used for injectors if you like, or ecu relay :)

you can use plug N for injectors though that is unfused, oem fuel pump power on a k-jet for wur comes from a spade hanging from E/14, this is then fused from the pump fuse.

as i say oem CE1 mk2 digifant fuel injectors are powered by the ecu relay and are unfused though, so either way is fine

14. Toyotec

Yes. Use the output for the fuel pump to supply the injectors.

15. DGT

DGT Forum Member

Excellent, thanks chaps :thumbup:

16. DGT

DGT Forum Member

im powering the fuel pump(s) from N with an inline fuse but i think im missing something

i have relay no 80 fitted in slot 2 as per a previous post :

is this all i need to do?

i thought i understood 1st time around but maybe not :/

17. rubjonny

D/13 is the fuel pump relay earth trigger for the 67/80/167 relay. if your standalone ecu can supply an earth trigger for the pump relay and you wired it to d/13, then you're sorted!

Pin N is fuel pump power but unfused, E/14 is the factory fuel pump power pin which is fused, plus there is a spade off this for WUR/AAV etc power on a k-jet car. You can use either pin its fine, plus you have added an inline fuse so its all good!

18. DGT

DGT Forum Member

should N be live with ignition cos it aint?

19. rubjonny

no only when the fuel pump relay is triggered! as i say, the 80 relay requires an earth feed to pin d/13 to switch on, provided by the ecu on 16v and digifant mk2. if your standalone ecu can supoply earth trigger for the fuel pump and you wired this to d/13 then it should be all good once you have the ecu powering up properly :)

20. DGT

DGT Forum Member

good to go then. cheers mate:)