quick question

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by dubsteps, Mar 3, 2012.

1. dubsteps Forum Member

ok I tried posting in the engine section no joy [:^(] my mk2 golf GTI 8v Digifant wont start I've got fuel to the injector rail my fuel pumps are working, I've got spark on all four plugs and the coil lead. what I want to know is if I crank the car over and pump the accelerator peddle should the plugs be getting wet because mine are NOT...so are my injectors blocked/knackered can they be cleaned? the car ran faultlessly for 3 years prior to this non start business [:^(]

cheers

Ian

2. Stooza Forum Member

Has the car been sat for these 3 years?

3. danTbone Forum Member

might be worth checking that your getting voltage to the injectors or the wireing to it.

4. dubsteps Forum Member

nope.... run constantly for 3 years I do around 300 miles each week in it to work and back in every kind of weather never ever had any problems I replaced the dizzy (complete unit last year) with a genuine vag one because I broke one of the clips, I've checked the timing and its spot on too.

5. dubsteps Forum Member

hmmm I've got a multi meter would that pick it up?

6. danTbone Forum Member

yeh it will . i have a look to see what volt it should read.

7. dubsteps Forum Member

:thumbup:

8. Stooza Forum Member

looks like this one is running in 2 areas of the forum.. i put a couple of suggestions on the other one.. timing or MAF :)

9. danTbone Forum Member

ok not sure what volt you should see at the conector to the injectors. if no volt during cranking then i would say thats the fault.
    i have the resistance for injector rail. the resistance measuring (not individual) all four should be between 3.7 -5.0 ohms. if any are duff you will see 5.0 - 10.0 ohms .

10. dubsteps Forum Member

cool I'll have a play about with my multi meter tomoz I havent used it in a long while tho.

11. dubsteps Forum Member

Stooza "Is your timing all set up right? Might have jumped out. Also check the MAF.. there is a needle under the black cover that you can move manualy while trying to start the car. Wont be anything too serious Im sure".

yeah check the timing and its bang on as should be. that MAF cover does that come off easy? mines kinda stuck on! I've never taken one off b4

12. danTbone Forum Member

could try putting a bit of fuel in the cillinders and start it. see if engine try to fire .

13. dubsteps Forum Member

hmm interesting, so its spark plugs out fuel down the cylinders spark plugs back in and crank it over?

14. Stooza Forum Member

I prized the black cover off on an older car as I wanted to see what was under there.. i stuck it back on after. Another thing to check is the blue temp sensor right in front of the engine. It sends information to the ECU to determine how much fuel to flow at cold/hot. These things have been known to cause all sorts of problems. I reckon it will fire up with fuel in the cylinders.. still thinking MAF atm.

15. dubsteps Forum Member

right I'll get on to testing these suggestions in the morning and report back :thumbup: thanks very much for all your help today :)

16. andynotts77 Forum Member

Hey.. I had a simular problem and it was the temp sender making overfuel and wetting the plugs... Also how strong is the spark? If it's weak it won't ignite the fuel.. Do these 8v cars have an ignition amp like the 16v's? I cant remeber as it's been a while since I owned one...

17. dubsteps Forum Member

mines the opposite my plugs are always dry, the spark is about the same as on my 1.8 driver

18. andynotts77 Forum Member

If the plugs are dry it sounds like the injectors aren't injecting.. I really can't remeber under the bonnet of an 8v.. I'd remove the injector rail with the injectors and wires still connected and crank it to see if you get fuel from the injectors.. Also what kind of pressure are you getting up at the rail? a dribble or a squirt?

19. dubsteps Forum Member

yeah that was gonna be my next move removing the injectors, regarding the the fuel to the rail it was a constant steam of fuel as soon as the fuel pump primed

how do the injectors come out do they just pull out?

cheers

20. andynotts77 Forum Member

Like I said its been a while but the usual setup on an injector rail is... 2 bolts holding the rail to the inlet manifold.. Undo them.. the injectors will have c clips or simular holding them onto the rail.. leave them in place.. The injectors will pull out with the rail as one lump (you may need to help them on their way with a small prybar if they've been in ages) just ease them out carefully as there are rubber seals on the ends.. It's a doddle mate.. When refitting spray a bit of WD40 or simular onto the seals so the go back into the manifold easier and avoiding damage...