Quickest, Easiest trade to learn????

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gareth83, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you can help...

Graduated in Business Economics back in 2006 and have did a few general admin type jobs since. Don't want to get into the usual banking, accounting type jobs as I find them boring.

Been looking to get into Quantity Surveying / Project Management within Construction but the jobs wont start till September and it means 3 more years of part time Uni.

I'd be 28 when I'd qualify, but I'd rather get a qualification in anything, and I mean "anything" so that i can travel round the world within the next 2 years.

I loved travelling when I did fruit picking, labouring etc. but I'd like to do it properly with a full working visa and hopefully get sponsored.

Are there any trades or skills anyone could see me picking up very quickly? A mate suggested plastering, then at least I could get some decent onsite experience, decent wages.

What skills/trades are countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, America crying out for???

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Do a PGCE and teach?

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

double posting is quick to pick up ;)

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

australia want most skills still, althought i'm sure i heard the other day that you now have to be sponsored before working out there instead of just heading out and looking for work when you're there, might not have been implemented yet.........

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

might be worth looking at an Autocad course? one of my mates earnt a fortune out in Oz drawing stuff up for a building company and would help with your future career plans too!

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

where do you look for these courses though?

don't want to do a PGCE and teach, don't want to go back to uni for another year and earn little respect for teaching. Would rather join the police.

Where does one find out about job shortages?

I was thinking a job fitting solar panels or wind turbines to houses but wouldn't really fancy climbing on roofs.

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Do it the other way around - think harder about what you want to do then pursue that.

Trying to find the quickest, easiest course and the most "in demand" skills is a ticket to job unhappiness. Sounds like your motivation needs a kick up the backside. You're being way too negative and small minded.

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

no I'm not being negative, I've got a list infront of me of construction companies I've applied for (35).

Lack of experience is not presenting any opportunities and a non-cognitive degree isn't helping. Have secured one interview which went very well but wont start till September and will mean going to uni for 3yrs.

I want to travel again, meet new people. 28 will be too old to start working abroad, most countries stop work visas at 30.

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I've actually thought about this, but doesn't it atke a few years to qualify etc?

I wouldn't mind doing something like this, and like you said it would definitely help.

Do you have any links to intensive courses? Money isn't really a problem

10. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Travelling is basically the main priority then?
    The reason I'm playing Devil's advocate is because I've been in a similar position.
    Don't think you're likely to get sponsored doing a trade - wages are lower over in NZ/Oz anyway.
    You can do a short "site engineer" course with a company (might need a search) but it's not a major qualification.

Construction is a tricky one - they need people but it's a pain to get into. You could try labouring for a bit, learn on the job and try and get experience in groundworking? Or get a site fork lift ticket or similar?
    At the very least, you can have a look around on site, see what suits you and go for that? Sometimes site manager jobs come up and need filling fast. They guy with a bit of site experience and a degree would fill the job nicely.

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

travelling isn't the main priority. Getting qualified in something that is easily recognised / transferable to other countries is. I don't want to train for another 3yrs in something, I'd be willing to do 2yrs max at a push.

Money isn't the main thing either, lifestyle is.

A few friends have suggested moving to london etc. but the rat race doesn't appeal. Most jobs in Cardiff are call centre jobs, nothing that someone can become qualified in.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the rat race is easy... its the bloody parking attendants that you don't want to be near!!! lol

As said above, if looking for the right lifestyle, consider this. You will spend as much time at work as that you will spend at home (awake at least!) so doing a job that interests you and you enjoy is gotta be more important than a quick course or training scheme... but i'm sure you know that....

I do sales and I love it, there are always jobs about and it pays well, difficult to get into other countries off the back of it though I would imagine as there aren't qualifications as such...

13. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Actually sales and recruitment skills are pretty good for work abroad.
    Know a few who have moved to Oz with such skills and are doing very well.
    Need to be a positive sort though!

If lifestyle is the main priority, then stick to casual jobs and put up with being a bit skint.

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

This is what I mean though, I've found bar work to be one of my most favourite jobs but let's face it the money isn't great and the hours are even worse.

A friend has jsut told me I can do a week's intensive course in AutoCAD for 695+VAT and that would get me an NVQ Level 2. Although the starting salary in my area would be around 12k not exactly great.

However it would allow me to get a job in Australia doing something like that would get me experience and contacts that may help. The money may not be great overseas but it would most certainly be better than fruit picking.

Just typed into Google about Site Engineering and it woudl be something I would be interested in

although I would ideally need

which I don't have

15. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Gareth - the annoying thing is, many could do the job but just need a foot in the door.
    I'd honestly give some labouring a go and see what you think - Just do a week or so, turn up on time, work hard and check stuff out.

Be very very wary of the "quick fix" courses - most are mickey mouse and a rip off. CAD also doesn't generally pay all that well. If IT is your bag, then look at other routes in.

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I've done labouring onsite before so know what it's all about. The main sites in Cardiff wont take you on without a CSCS card and I can't get a CSCS card without a current employer and at least a site induction lol

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

worth checking out that course though, see if it actually would result in you getting a job in Oz even if it is lowish pay... lifestyle over there isn't deemed to bad!!! and you can always work your way up etc, get companies to put you through extra qualifications etc

A weeks course is never going to net you an amazing job but it could be the start of a new direction couldn't it??

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thought a cscs card was for people that moved from site to site etc with no full time employer??

20. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

check out the oz embassy website
    and the TRA skills shortages list
    lots of trades needed, paramedics
    my mate got out there coz his mrs is a fitness instructor
    what about a TEFL course?

but the quickest trade....what is it they say?
    if you can pi55 you can paint:lol: