R32 V 4Motion

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by tony, Jul 21, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, R32 has more torque than an Impreza Turbo,Clio V6 and a Boxster I think you'll find :lol:

We took a mate of mine out in Claire's R32 the other night, He owns a 51 plate Impreza Turbo with mods and was impressed with the torque of the Golf.

He said something like "mine wouldn't have pulled like that"
    Edited by: G_V_K

2. Golfgirl Forum Member

The R32 and 4Motion are the only Mk 4's worth having (in standard form) performance wise IMO. The 1.8T's and PD150's are pretty tuneable though.

3. Claypole Forum Junkie

Still a Golf though no matter what engine it has... :p

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Meaning? :lol:

5. Claypole Forum Junkie

The Corrado was "different" ie. a two door coupe, the R32 will always be a Golf no matter how good it is.
    (I'd buy one if I had the money just for the engine having said that though).

Just want something different, I've no kids or baggage to lug about but what do VW sell that I'd want? Bugger all. [:s]

Forget the R32 bit all 99% of people hear is the Golf bit. [:s]

6. Raider Forum Member

Kinda like what Ive heard in my head everytime ive nearly spunked a poo load of cash on a cossie.... Its a Sierra [:s]

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

I think that all the time about my rallye too. I have plans to change that eventually but its no small task, and probably will never happen!

8. Admin Guest

go get a room you two! [xx(] :lol:

9. Mikedav Forum Member

Exclusive my ar$e, don't know about you but I still see at least one a day. If you want rare, pick up a used example of a car nobody bought - 147 Bora V6s were sold in the UK...

The R32 is a bit more than a more powerful 4Motion I have to sadly admit. Fundamentally its the same (its the same engine but longer stroke, same 4Motion, even sounds similar, etc) but also its got a quicker steering rack (from the TT I think?), different brakes, completely different suspension and more tuning potential. The 3.2 seems to be pretty underated by VW...230BHP becomes 280BHP very easily, where as on mine, a chip brings only about 20BHP - though thats at least close to a stock R32.

Suspension, R32 ARBs and a chip will transform a V6 4Motion... cherry pick some key R32 bits and you will get quite close and certainly have a fantastic car for about 10k less than an R, but its never going to be an R32. If you like Boras though this is not a conflict ;)
    Edited by: Mikedav

10. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

A big reason I got the R32 over any other car was BECAUSE it's ONLY a Golf.
    Understated yet useful car. I don't want to the deluded fool that puts his BMW (316) keys on the bar and thinks he's a bit tasty.
    I want people to think I have a VW, be it a Lupo 1.2 or a Phaeton W12 - Who cares? Not me.
    I just get on with enjoying the thing.
    The sound, the power (it's quicker than a 330i to 100 by a fair bit - Hardly slow), the noise and the sorted handling. It's a great package. [:D]
    It gets a lot of looks too no matter what anyone says - Several random people have come up to me and chatted about it.

11. S1MMA Forum Member

lets not get carried away here, 330i is 16.5 to 100, R32 is 15.6, 0.9 seconds faster to 100.

R32 1/4 mile in 14.7, BM 330 in 15.0. 0.3 seconds faster on the 1/4 mile.

Although I think that the R32 has enough revisions made to it to substantially differentiate itself from the 4 motion, in terms of dynamics they are completely different cars (so I've read/heard). Straight line performance isnt the be all or end all, otherwise we'd all drive straight line missiles. No point.

12. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I can see one from here - VO52 BKA a black one, and i do seem to see loads of them.

13. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I think both are good.
    4 Motion more of a distance cruiser, R32 more sporty.
    Anyone who hasn't driven one must have a go at some stage.
    When I test drove mine it was the overall "togetherness" of the package that I loved. It just felt spot on and with some miles on it, now feels better!

14. drew Forum Member

I have seen a lot of them about. Mostly blue ones it seems, and they do look good on the road.

Lot of money for a 'Golf' though. Still I guess you do get 1500kg of 'Golf'!

[pub_speak]And I've got more torque.[/pub_speak]

Cheers,

Drew.

15. Rallye Forum Junkie

hmmmm id rather have an S3 or slightly older S4

but they are dman fine cars!

16. drew Forum Member

The only cosmetic thing about the R32 I don't like is the projector lamp for the main beam.

I've finally figured out what it reminds me of....

...the eyes on a chameleon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See what I mean. Above images used without permission, but with great respect and admiration.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

17. Mikedav Forum Member

Thats the thing. I dont know how many of you know Mark Tabron (his car is the black R32 in PVW at MK4 shootout), but I was following him back from an RR day in June and that car looks so damn perfect I wanted one. And I dont like hatchbacks. Its by far and away as good as a MK4 gets.

But then I remembered what else you can buy for 20k and its just not enough IMO. I definetly understand the attraction though, it has a feel to it thats difficult to describe. Fantastic car.

18. Imran Forum Member

Nop! the arches r the same as any other golf!

19. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Imran is right. I parked mine next to my mates 1.6 black mk4 and they are identical.
    Tried the S3, less of a drivers car but still great.
    MikeDav - So what else CAN you buy for 20-25k?
    I researched hard and there's nothing else that struck me at all, unless it's old.
    Go for BMW and you get naff all for that money.

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Drew - 1477kg.
    Those 23kg are very important ;)