Radiator for Mk1 on carbs/ITB's

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by mk1 driver, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I'm just wondering what radiator and hose combinations people are using in there Mk1's, to gain more direct airflow from the front of the car, straight through to the carbs/ITB's.

I have heard of I believe a Nova GTE(?) radiator route, unsure of the hoses you have to use to plumb it in though... Also a Vauxhall van rad of some description that I think I've read of recently somewhere?

Someone elses picture (Velly's) but a good one showing the amount of room available in a Mk1, with carbs fitted.

[​IMG]

Can anyone add in information of what they are using in terms of radiators and hoses, not only that but also how to mount them in (brackets etc.) and if there are any other modifications needed to get them to fit/work?

My current radiator is similar to the one in the above picture. At present, on track, the oil and water temps are nice and low and I still have the rad fan cowling on behind the radiator, would I in some way be able to run my carbs as per the setup pictured above and not suffer a huge drop/lack of performance?

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Like you said above

I'm using a vauxh combo van rad and it is ace!

I know i got mk2 but iv used same on mk1 and it works same

Easy to plumb in an your thermo switch will fit as its sams size thread:)

3. mk1_andy New Member

i was reading about this somewhere the other day and cant remember where it was [:$]

it was an american site, possibly vortex?

anyhoo there was a thread on there that showed a few people running a honda rad in mk1's with carbs.
    not sure what honda rad tho [:$]
    i will try and find out....

looking at that pic surely the engine would suffer as the 2 throttle bodies/carbs nearest the gearbox must end up getting significantly higher temp air than the other 2?

cheers
    andy

edit, found the link to the vortex thread... its not a huge thread but might be worth looking into?
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3245513

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

5. mk1_andy New Member

hmmmm... does anyone know if the corsa rad is the same as a combo van one as i may be able to aquire a combo one from work [:$]

6. Carbs4ever Forum Member

im gettin a custom made - should be ready this week.. i gave the company a front panel and told them that i wanted it over to the right of the panel - so there will nothing blocking the carbs - will have to make a small panel though to prevent ram air effect - though having the rad to the right will eliminate hot air being drawn in..

the core id is quite large to ensure enough water passes through...

will post pics when i collect it.

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

sambo - how did you secure the rad in and what hoses did you use?

Mart - ditto as the question for sambo really, how did you secure it in and what hoses?

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

When i had my mk1 just made some brackets for the top and drilled couple of holes in bottom cross memeber and sloted rads feet into them

As for plumbing,went to scrapy and got loads of different shape hoses with correct id and used some imagination:)

Here is a pic(sorry not so good)

[​IMG]

9. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Mart, would you be able to get any pictures of where and how the hoses are routed on your setup?

[​IMG]

I've seen a couple of Corsa radiators on ebay, one is like sambo's where the top hose is in the far corner of the radiator but another one I have seen has both outlets pointing out to one side of the car on the same side.

Are these Corsa radiators efficient enough to cool a VW 16v engine? I dont see why not to be honest, just wondered.

10. Barker44 Forum Member

im running a corsa diesel radiator in my mk1 16v and is good but also heard that u can fit a pug radiator out of a 205 gti or diesel. the diesels come with a built in header tank

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

James,got your pm on dubforce (mk1 16v on 45's) You probably know its been a while since i had the mk1 up and running now you know its me:lol: [:D]

But i used a corsa rad (very long compared to vw) and as above,just one hole drilled in front panel.
    I used a nova saloon rad fan and cowling which plugged straight into the vw loom.

It ran perfectly cool [:D]

Can't just remember what i did with the outlet on the head...not sure if i had it rewelded at a diffarent angle (sorry m8,was a good few years ago now[:$] )

Neil.

12. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Sorry about that Neil didn't realise it was you, that has been a while!

Do you still have the corsa rad you used and did it sit under the front panel? Is it the rad that needs the long hosee going across the back of it?

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry mate, only just saw your post, I'll get some pics of the plumbing in. I had to buy some extra pipe to make it fit but nothing to worry about.

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Nice one Mart, that would be a huge help!

Also a part number for the rad, if it's on there?

15. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Are there two types of corsa radiators that fit under the slam panel?

I see on sambo's rad that the top rad hose comes all the way across from battery is but I'm not too sure where the top hose is on Mart's, hence the enquiry if there are two?

16. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Vauxhall Corsa Combo rad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

650 x 268 x 42

The only thing is it has an odd angled bottom outlet and I'm not sure if I will be able to get the angle back to route it nicely to the water pump...

17. Admin Guest

Turn it upside down then.

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Would it work just as well?

The only thing in doing that though is that the thermo switch will be in the wrong place.

19. Barker44 Forum Member

dont think it will matter which way round you have a radiator mate

20. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

How important is the depth of the core?

My original rad at the moment measures up to be 450 x 320 x 40. A couple of options I've come across are:

Corsa Combo 1.5D/TD, 1.7D - 650 268 x 42
    [​IMG]

Corsa Mk1 1.0 12v - 530 x 285 x 25
    [​IMG]

Corsa/Tigra/Combo 1.4 - 530 x 285 x 26
    [​IMG]

Nova 1.2 85-93 - 530 x 230 x 32
    [​IMG]

Audi 80 2.0E 8v - 590 x 304 x 42 (turned through 180 degrees vertically)
    [​IMG]

The Corsa Mk1 1.0 12v one looks ideal for it having the outlets on the same time and only needing two 90 degree bends and hose joiners to mate up with the OE pipes... but it only has a 25mm thick core but then it is 80mm wider than the one I have at the moment?