Radical SR8

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Those are the 300 option

2. m1keh Forum Member

Beanbag beads and glue cost 300?

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Thats basically what the DIY fitted seat kits are, a big bag with an air valve, some glue, and a load of polystyrene beans. A small vac pump is needed also. Looks like quite a tough job to get right if you ask me and certainly not a one man job.....

Quite like the look of this though:

[​IMG]

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Rob bean bag beads are a few quid from textile places like Accurban ?? A hover will give you more than enough vacumn .
    Glue might need to be a bit special ie FR. and any plastic bag will do use a couple or three thinner ones rather than a thick one :thumbup: more chance of getting a better fit :thumbup:
    300 you can do it for 10 plus glue / exotic glue :thumbup:

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

MSA logbook inspection today which went ok but as ever a few minor things to attend to such as stickers needed to make it clearer how fire extinguisher and battery pulls work - no bother, 3 quid sticker sheet duly ordered. Finally got around to finishing cleaning all the crap off other sets of wheels too - some of them had loads of sticky left on where wheel weights had been fitted - a right swine to shift! Gave all the tyres a good scrub with hot soapy water so all good to go now.

[​IMG]

Saw the new Radical RXC Spyder at Autosport on Fri - lovely thing, and fitted with a 3L version of the SR8 engine and a 7 speed gearbox with transverse gear cluster apparently allowing the whole engine and box to be fitted lower. I have to say both are right on the diffuser in my car so I'm not too sure how significant this is. And the car is 860kg or something (>150kg heavier than mine with similar power)...lovely looking thing though.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/uk/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...ew-rs8-rsx-sports-car-autosport-international

[​IMG]

Also checked out the new SR3 RSX, launched earlier this year, this time on the Capricorn stand

[​IMG]

Really enjoyed the show - properly gets you going again after the christmas inactivity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Toyotec and mat-mk3 like this.
  6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Awesome looking things. So is the SR3 a baby SR8?

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

yep, sr3 has a 4 cyl hayabusa 1300-1600cc depending on varient. sr8 has two of them on a single crank.

mat-mk3 likes this.
  8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

msa log book arrived fri. another tick. quite a few emails with radical about fuel useage and basically it uses somewhere around 0.75L/min at race speeds, but there is no liw fuel warning system.....which is a bit crap reallly.....your just supposed to know from experience of laps done. disappointing.

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rob, the car you pictured will be based the SR3-RS range. They usually run a 1300cc 'Busa motor, enlarged to 1500cc and Capricorn supplies the custom cylinder liners.

There is also the SR3-SL (Street Legal) which, apart from the dry sump, runs a std 2.0 Ecoboost engine from the latest Focus ST, with a life racing ECU controlling the engine to about 250-260bhp. The SL car is homologated for road use in 2013. Certainly a bit more friendly than the 280bhp RS.

Also at the show but on Radical's stand, was the new 450bhp RXC with the 3.5 V6 Twin turbo Ford Ecoboost engine, originally from a F150 pickup truck at the stand.

[​IMG]

This just finished homologation for road use last Dec.

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

the new rsx and rxc cars are totally different under the skin to the old cars, despite similar external appearance. i spent a few hrs on the radical stand loking at them.

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What day did you go to the show?

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

So a few small updates - have been working on the best way to set the amount of fuel in the car since it doesnt have a fuel level light or gauge - think the way to do this is to put 40L in, warm the car up and go do something like 10-20 laps, then pump out whats left into my dump churn and weigh it - have drawn up a table today with how much 1-20L of vpower weighs, in 1L increments, in the ATL dump churn. This is all possible since there is a dry break connector on the end of the fuel rail to hook up a quick connect drain line, and a 12V hook-up point to run the fuel pump. This will tell me how much I am using and hence how much to put in for the day / session / whatever, with a bit of a safety margin.

ATL dump churn - lovely bit of kit and hideously expensive to buy new. Attach to car via dry break at the bottom and then also attach the air vent at the top to the car's air vent port - 20L goes in almost immediately - really very impressive and total overkill for what I am going to use the car for. Cool though :)

[​IMG]

Fitted 'quiet' silencer as are going to need this for practice events coming up. Three silencer possibilities with the car and 10min job to switch between them so will do some experimenting with the sound meters at coming events.

[​IMG]

Seat pads fitted - thick vinyl material - should stop a bit of the sliding around on the fibreglass seat shell - fitted with heavy duty velcro so can remove if they get wet.

[​IMG]

Seat belts are fitted different widths at the top where they attach as they need to be further inwards for a Hans device - and I dont think the passenger will generally be wearing one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

******** unreal day at oulton today, first proper outing on a big track. started wet on the ground and very cold but got progressively better through the day. wets to begin with, then slicks after dinner. took it very steady to begin with but soon started to get a feel for it. what. a. car. in last session caught and passed a pukka fezza 458 cup racer, and ran out of revs approaching island bend, so thats 160 and a bit....bonkers. still got a few things to sort out running it but very successful first real outing. really ache now....wont be able to move tomorrow. pics and video soon.

AjVR, sparrow, Sirguydo and 3 others like this.
  15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds Epic !!

awaiting the video with interest !

If you are running out of revs there, won`t you struggle at places like Snetterton ? [:s]

How do you find the downforce ? With the last car, you did like me and skirted the edges of PROPER downforce. Take some getting used to I bet ?

16. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Look forward to the videos! Bet you have mountains of data to look through nowlol

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

it was epic. not been anywhere near that fast before. we will have to see what other tracks work out like, dont go to snet, but anglesey gp might be tricky, very quick. we'll see.

there is just so much grip in faster corners, its hard to get your head around. and the braking...mega but then you have to come off the pressure as you slow, was just locking the front nearside as i was slowing, so thats something to work on.

its gonna take a few sessions to get into it. car is really progressive though and had a few slides but ok to catch. very impressed.

got loads of data to look at, but are just shattered now, chest, hands, neck...mullered.....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Toyotec, G_Whizz, HPR and 2 others like this.
  18. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Rob you're going to have to start doing rubber band neck exercises to keep your head on :thumbup:
    Can't wait for the videos

19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sirguydo, G_Whizz and HPR like this.
  20. G_Whizz Forum Member

This car really is the stuff of dreams.

After doing a Palmer sport day last year all i could dream of was having a single seater race car or their Le Mans prototype.

There really is nothing like feeling the downforce these things generate and the effort it takes to steer them at high speed. [:D]

You're a lucky man indeed Rob!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.