Radical SR8

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

The sealy brand lockwire pliers I got from demon tweaks are ****e, the jaws are not machined parallel and do not hold both strands of wire at same time. Absolute rubbish. I'll have a set if you want to offload some?

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Or, just learn to lockwire properly like apprentices do ;)

StuMc likes this.
  3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

some times you have to do it by hand
    i was lucky always plenty of space round a industrial Avon when it's not sat in a berth

demon tweeks have three different makes of locking wire pliers that are all the same 12 20 and 80 lol
    beta tools are well over rated

i had a snap on pair the work paid a small fortune for utter rubbish no return spring [:x]
    swapped them for a britool set

i'll look a set out for you will most likely be a britool much the same as you have just the jaws meet

RobT and Dex like this.
  4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Interesting install of rpe 2.7 v8 TRANSVERSELY in the front of an Argentinian touring car, with Xtrac gearbox and front wheel drive. Must be savage cars. Engine code TCX rather than RPX in this install.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC_2000_Championship

[​IMG]

Numerous bodies available in what looks like similar chassis parts. Look great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Toyotec and HPR like this.
  5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Vento tc2000 with rpe v8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nige and Dex like this.
  6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

8 ITBs....yeh :)

The 2011-on spec 2.7 engine had inlet tuning work which I guess led to the different length trumpets shown. Also had the improved cylinder head design from the 1340 Busa, and updated internals (rods/pistons) from the k8 spec Hayabusa. 81mm bore, 65mm stroke (up from 63mm of earlier engines). 12.5:1 CR.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I work with a load of ex-RAF techs, and they all bleat on about having the best wire-locking pliers...I've only ever done it by hand and you can't tell the difference between their wire-locking and mine. [:^:] lol

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Went to see snap-on man last weekend and they don't do lockwire pliers any more. It seems Milbar are the ones to go for?

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

When`s the initial `run out` and who`s driving first ;) :)

10. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

In my trade, wire-locking pliers were a privilege to be earned once you'd demonstrated the ability to do it just as well by hand - plenty of places on an installed ejection seat you can't even get close to getting a pair of pliers in.

StuMc likes this.
  11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Don't know yet. Not rushing, want to make sure as much as I can that alls as it should be and that I understand the starting setup. Got some more Kevlar cloth today to cover the underside of the side pods and protect from stone damage. Jet washing the rads today, and then they can go back in with the side pods. All coming together nicely but I want it right.

jamesa likes this.
  12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

A few updates time. Both the sidepods had been stone thrashed so needed some tlc, so i skinned both on the underside with kevlar, filled a few holes with gelcoat, sanded, and wrapped the front surfaces with the type of thick vinyl normally used for motorcross bike graphics, its stoneproof and about 400um thick (compared to regular adhesive vinyl which is 70-80um). Good to go again. took quite a bit if time to sort out though. And kevlar is a right sod to work with....

Thickstuff vinyl - http://www.allprint.co.uk/thickstuff-enduro-laminate-for-professional-MX-dirt-bike-decals.htm

Before (note Jabroc* wear pad top right corner and interesting rib design to deflect air under the floor around the back wheels and into the central diffuser area):
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Next step is to start reassembly of the water cooling system. Have thoroughly cleaned all the grit and grass from the radiators which are ready to go back in along with oil heat exchanger. just waiting for delivery of a few connectors to allow the extension of the preheater dry break couplings to the rear of the car so the heater can be plugged in without having to remove the rear bodywork (ease of operation when arriving at track). fittings are american so are NPT threads so its taken a while to find right bits.

[​IMG]

Theres one in the swirl pot (top of engine/hot water) and one on the engine feed line from rads (bottom of engine/cold water)

getting there....

* - Jabroc is a type of phenolic treated wood used as skid blocks on F1 cars
    http://www.permalideho.co.uk/jabroc_motorsport.asp

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    HPR and StuMc like this.
  13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Like it, keep the updates coming

pascal77uk likes this.
  14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

HPR likes this.
  15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

All new plumbing and repairs now finished and started to refill with fluids

3.7L Neo 75W90 RHD fully synthetic gearbox oil (3.7L from fully dry system (1 US Gal), 3L for just a drop/change) - stinks.....
    10L Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 15W-50 fully synthetic engine oil (10L from fully dry system, 9L for drop/change)
    8 NGK Iridium superbike spark plugs CR9EIA-9
    As yet unknown quantity of 50% water/blue antifreeze mix

Unipart Renault Laguna oil filter already changed.

Box oil just gone in - fingers crossed its not all over garage floor in the morning. Plan in am is to put water in and get electric water pump and pre-heater circulator going to circulate all the air out, top up in 0.5L slugs until it wont take any more. While doing this, 10L engine oil in and just let it sit for a bit with the electric oil preheater switched on. When water done, plugs out and wind it over till we get oil pressure. Plugs in, fuel in, fire her up. Wake whole neighbourhood......

Yeh.

Laptop connected to ECU to make sure all sensors working with Life PTMON dashboard viewer software.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    StuMc, Sirguydo and Nige like this.
  16. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Video please Rob :thumbup:[:D]:thumbup:

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

^^^^ This... [:D]

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Run out of time today after a bit of an epic with one of the spark plugs. Ran engine up to 60C though on the heaters, no water leaks, and pressure primed the oil system, no oil leaks either. Just need plugs in and fuel now :)

[​IMG]

Now its time for sunday beef and wine :) :) :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    StuMc and Sirguydo like this.
  19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Any news you've got us all drooling with anticipation for the video of your first start up [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

RobT likes this.
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Successful upgrade of MSA competition licence to National A (Open) Speed Licence for 2015 - required to run a >2000cc Sports Libre or Racing Car. Why this class of licence is not needed for lower capacity Libre and racing cars is anyone's guess as they are generally just as fast these days with the popularity of motorbike engine cars.

Need to submit evidence for competing in 8 events, without incident, for this upgrade.

One step closer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.