Radical SR8

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Awesome bit of kit. Whack a vag badge on it and get it to Curborough :thumbup:

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Now converted back to twin seat, a LOT more work than I had anticipated.....and seat/pedals/belts/headrest set up for me, a whole days job! Had to make a headrest since the radical one was too thick to get the clearance behind my hans/helmet combo. Three quid for a nursery/gym/dance studio foam floor mat and perfect for a head rest pad. Really bad design that the seat has to come out to adjust the crutch straps....lots of swearing went with this exercise but now they are all set

[​IMG]

Air jacks refitted and tested, no leaks (soapy water to check for bubbles). Ended up going with a 200bar 3ft high nitrogen tank from local welding place since the scuba shop didn't even want to entertain different regulator fitting to what's used for diving. 104/year to rent the nitrogen tank but refills are same cost as scuba more or less. That'll do, and I can use the nitrogen for tyre inflation also which is a bonus. Regulated down to 30 bar for operation and system holds pressure for a few hours actually even when lance is disconnected.

[​IMG]

The twin seat sr8s have the batteries in the side pods so that's today's job. When running a single seat, they are inside the car instead but won't fit with the twin seat fitted. There is actually very little room to play with with twin seat in, it really does fit the space available and it's a right swine to get the mounts in and bolted up.

Quite nice to be in the 'putting it back together' phase :)

Also, when I used to run motorcrossers, they used to make decals and numbers in quite thick tough self adhesive plastic sheet. It was really good stuff, very resistant to grit and stones etc. could do with some of this to stick to the floors in the footwell area.....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

How about skateboard 'grip-tape' Rob?, even grippiererer..

4. m1keh Forum Member

Very hard to clean grip tape nicely though....

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Did think of that - might use it as its pretty tough also if you get the fabric-backed emery-cloth like material - but like Mike says, not so easy to keep clean....I've already put it in the heel area near the pedals but it really needs just some tough vinyl on the rest

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Whats that phrase.. "a picture tells a thousand words" :thumbup:

RobT and Nige like this.
  8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Bit of an update - finally refitted the batteries into the 'stock' position when using a twin seat - battery cradles were in spares kit for car but had to make up some new leads. Also fitted the connector for the trickle charger so can keep everything topped up without having to access batteries directly through sidepod hatches. Took time and tidied all side wiring to make sure no chafing etc.

[​IMG]

Drained all fluids ready for service - gearbox oil has easy plug at bottom of box, engine oil has dry sump tank drain and 4 bolts on the 'sump' on the bottom of the engine - everything lockwired....

[​IMG]

Finally got leads to access the AIM datalogger (USB, bottom lead) and the Life ECU (ethernet, top lead). Cheers to Ed for help here :thumbup: Have installed all software now to read them both on laptop so will have some fun there shortly.

[​IMG]

Feel like starting to get there now [:D]

Anyone know of a good source of black car carpet like what is used for floor mats? Need about 1/2 x 1m. Ta.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Toyotec likes this.
  9. Prawn Forum Member

Looking good Rob!

How many Air jacks does the radical run? is it just the 3?

Do you still think you'll make it to Curborough this weekend? or is there too much to do?

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hiya - yes 3: 2 at front behind the front wheels, and one at rear, end of gearbox.

Wont be at Curby this time unfortunately as still got some jobs to do to be comfortable as I can that alls ok / confidence nothing is obviously broken/loose etc.

But I will bring it to a future meet for sure.

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Is this what you're after ?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's 2x1m it's wet as just gave it a clean with the power washer lol
    Pm me for when you want to pick it up:thumbup: could have met you on my way to Crewe yesterday lol
    You can call in to see me at the factory if you want ?

12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Can't sleep just had a thought about your gas cylinder;) I use gas cylinders uk at haydock :thumbup:they do a 20 ltr 200 bar nitrogen bottle for 35 per refill and a one off deposit of 80 no rental just deposit :thumbup:
    I get my welding argon co2 and argonshield from them:thumbup:

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Carpet looks good, ta, must arrange a meet. That's a better deal than from my local welding place for n2, paid now for this year so will look at options next time. At least I know what I need now.

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

What is that logo I see behind Michael Vergers' head.....

Interesting week digesting the ECU download files. There is a 'logbook file' which tells you summary info since last rebuild, and then more detailed run files for each time the engine has been switched on, which over time get overwritten.

So basically the engine has been switched on for about 8hrs since rebuild, but only been on load, specified as >3000rpm, for 27min. Max rpm 10.9k, max/min oil temp, water temp, voltage, fuel pressure etc etc all look fine. Nice histogram displays showing range of values for each parameter. Sent logs to RPE technical, and they agree, all fine. So have a baseline to start ownership now. It's down to me from here....

So going to see what's in the AIM data logger this weekend.

RPE also told me about the tuning options for the engine going forwards :) :) :) :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Passenger seat tidy

Do you have locking wire pliers ?

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Saw it in the flesh yesterday, very very nice!
    Jon

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Fitting twin seat was quite a lot of work in the end but now I can have some instruction by a downforce pilot, my missus can have a go, and I can scare people [:D]

Yep, got some lockwire pliers :thumbup:

Oh...and accidentally bought another set of wheels with Dunlop wets today [:*:]. You cannot have enough wheels IMO, and these will do very nicely for canvassing and wintertime practice

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    Nige likes this.
  18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Cheers Jon, good to see you :thumbup: and thanks for purchase

19. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sounds good

Dam though I'd found a home for a pair lol
    God knows why I have 4 in my toolbox

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Another interesting evening, downloaded the AIM datalogger files and analysed in Race Studio 2 software. Simply staggering levels of information, 30 odd fields of info and not even got into video channel yet. Need to get some track maps or apparently you can create your own somehow from the gps channel. Must get some screen grabs to Illustrate!

Nige and Sirguydo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.