Rallye VR6 Turbo - Updated 22-08-2008 Interior update, and more blow?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RallyeVR6, May 27, 2007.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Nice work, are you bringing this on the ring trip?

2. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Nah, I can't make it unfortunately.

Hoping to make an appearance at the end of season cgti track attack later in the year though :) Got about 3 tonnes worth of heat sheilding to put in first :)

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm That gives me an idea[:[]

Can I borrow your car for a weekend ;) :lol:

4. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Ahem :)

The Rallye is:
    Mental
    A raving alcoholic
    Very hot, smelly and bumpy
    Absolutely awesome
    and
    Outside my house! \o/

She's home [:D]

5. Jay 16V Forum Member

sorry to butt in guys , Rallye i have got a tornado bonnet and a front panel if your interested mate?

6. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

7. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Update:

The car is generally speaking behaving well.

We had a slight mishap after deciding to go for a gentle drive up to stealth to meet a few people when part of the wiring loom shorted out on the chassis and blew the fusebox.

The car now has been partially re-wired with a standard mk2 dash fitted and the fusebox returned to original place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got a short list of bits to sort out with it... nothing too major. Door cards, re-fit front part of cage, passenger foot rest + fire extinguisher mount, extra exhaust hanger at the back + minor modding to the main rear mount to tighten it up a abit. Suspension needs some work also - the front is tight but the back is quite bouncy - time for some proper track day springs maybe...

Attention has mainly turned to releasing some more power from it... we've been running 0.5 bar boost until now on a 0.3 bar spring but I've got a 0.6 spring at home waiting to go in.
    Something that is pressing before any proper driving can happen is some major heat management. Need to figure out what heat shielding is required and wrap the exhaust also and then try and get some more air in to the oil cooler as it's quite covered at the moment and the oil temperature increases fairly fast when you're making progress.

Might try and get some vids up this weekend if the weather's nice :)

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Have you thought about one of those insulating jacket things for the turbo?

[​IMG]

9. ihaveajetta Forum Member

awwwwweeeeeesommmmme

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I heard there was a video taken of it being driven (abit fast) last Saturday............;) :lol:

I want that shifter set up in my car now. When I get it home. And the engine fixed.

I know Rigs has pretty much been investigating all manner of cooling idea's including a turbo nappy :)

The tricky part is deciding on the best between, wrapping it up in an attempt to stop heat radiating out but at the risk of keeping the heat in the turbo/downpipes which will leave things quite hot for a long time (which MAY result in heat soak), or leave thinsg relatively unwrapped to allow cool air to flow over the very hot bits, but at a risk the very hot turbo and downpipe sitting in open air when the car is stationary ( which probably will result in heat soak melting things that don;t need melting)

I personally think, for road use wrapping everything up with some tactfully placed Dexspeed SPT (The motorsport arm of Dex's "***** Pipe Technology" business) to blwo some cooling air onto it. And then for track days rig up some sort of additional-fan-based-cool-air-blowing-device to allow things to cool nicely when its comes off the track.

11. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

badgerwagen ran a cooling fan which I used to blow down the back of the engine... token jesture for cooling.

Ceramic coating mani & DP is the nice way to reduce temps under bonnet and pass them under the car where there's airflow to dissipate the heat. better underneath than in the engine bay.

dont underestimate the power of radiant heat on anything within eyeshot of the hot bit.. it will melt. just a question of when judging on how badgerwagen has been over these years

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Worth wrapping the shifter cables also?

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

mine were, wrapped in the reflective cloth stuff, and then overwrapped in the laminated ally sheet stuff also. worked fine ever since.. (looked a smidge melted before this)

14. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the tips lads. It's certainly something I'm worried about.

Current plan is nappy for the turbo, wrap the downpipe and shield off anything near the hot parts with reflective stiffened shield. Was going to investigate running some piping from the front to blow cool air over the manifold and down the back... dunno how feasible that is yet.

Shifter cables are a good point that I hadn't really considered though. They've still got the stock silver shield thing on them but they do touch the downpipe just next to the turbo outlet :) Have to investigate :)

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Thanks for the advice. Any help and tips is always welcomed! [:D]

Throughout the whole build of the car Radiant heat has been something both Rigs and I have tried to think of as we were going. The NA VR used to get very warm during track days and I think we are both acutely aware it won't get any better now its Turbo'd :lol:

There are no brake pipes running across the bulk head within the engine bay for example, we routed them on the inside of the car to have a good air gap, and the fire wall between Turbo and Brake lines. They would have been quite close to hot side of the turbo otherwise and getting to the naughty side of 100mph is (apparently) quite easy and arriving to a corner to find the fluid has been boiled in the pipes is something I am quite fearfull of :lol:

The pipe from clutch master to slave is something else I personally would like re-route (Custom made braided line routed on the inside perhaps?'s?) and all wiring was put down the chassis legs in an attempt to tidy everything up/keep as much out of the Bay and away from hot turbo-y bits as much as possible. Although, perhaps ironicly, that created its own problems when it shorted out...!

I think we are at a piont where the things that are there, have to be there or thereabouts. Shifter cables, brake servo pipe, throttle cable, water pipes and oil feed/return pipes for example. Even the placstic VR covers have come off now too I think and one advantage of no heater matrix means the water pipes don't have to run over the top of the downpipe . But I am sure these other bits will have some kind of protection etc, but there will still probably be an element of trail, error and decovering issues we hadn't thunk of yet. As long as that doesn't end in big orangey fire ball, all will be good!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  16. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Oh dear Oh dear Oh Dear.

What has Rigs gone and done now?

He's only gone lent me the Rallye for 2 weeks while he's on Honeymoon. [:D]

The perks of me being his best man last weekend I guess :lol: Its had a tweeked map put in it from what was in there before and now its pulls like an absolute train.

Sounds awesome too!

It put a big stupid grin on my face when I drove it home the other day. Although I did come upto a corner a bit quicker than I usually do and I scared myself. :lol:

[:D] [:D]

17. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Well, VR6T's thread reminded me to post an update of mine:

My rallye is also in the body shop! (my garage)
    Progress is slow but steady. Bit more of a motorsport roots theme going on here than VR6Ts though!

[​IMG]

18. prof Forum Addict

hang on wasn't it all resprayed not long back?

19. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

where be the pic ?

20. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I suspect that's a sore point... but luckily not for me :lol:
    Needless to say 4 years under a car cover outside when a certain mother using it as a door stop did wonders for the paint!
    That and the fact that the bumpers and boot lid aren't the originals and I've taken that gay shark fin off the top leaving a nice hole :)

You lost your glasses pops?