realistic drop?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Jolfa, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Admin Guest

sachs-boge are cheap and supposed to be good. with Eibachs springs or H&R springs even. I agree with darryn, it is best to get shocks and springs, not just springs themself ;)
    Edited by: Dave

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

darryn didn't say just get springs. bad grammar, mate ;) lol

i have boge-sachs and in my opinion they are brilliant for the money!!

3. Admin Guest

Better now? :pdaveybwoy also has boge-sachs and says there good ;)
    Edited by: Dave

4. jake Forum Member

sachs/boge are good for the money, I ran their set for a year or so and enjoyed it, fitted it to a mates car and he liked it too
    I now run at around -35 at the back and -45 at the front without rubbing (Koni/H&R wtih lowering caps) if I hit a bump while giving it stick at near full lock (ie mini roundabout at maximum attack) then the wheel hits the front arch but thats with 7X15" et25 wheels. I'm having fun at that stage so I dont give a sh*t......... :p

5. green with envy Forum Member

ebay would be a good start or watch out for deals etc. I know SPAX did and all in kit by 40mm for 99 a year or so ago.

Just keep your ear to the ground and check out the CGTI Classifieds of course ;)

6. LiamG Forum Member

mine is currently 40mm but nowhere near how low i want it, so the springs are gonna be played with so it will be bout 80mm. gti suspension kit though.

7. Admin Guest

like cut played with? :o that is dodgy!

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i think ill just take my springs off, see how low i can get it....

wheres a good place to start looking for filthy dirty cheap dampers/springs 1st hand

venom has them for around 180

eurocarparts is poo....

9. Admin Guest

GSF - shocks = 111 INC Vat

10. jake Forum Member

well... I've never had one break but the results are unpredictable and the handling is very hit and miss, so I wouldnt recomend doing it (trust me, I've probably cut more springs than pies) The kits are based on a known amount of damping and a known increase in spring rate compared to the vehicle weight, thats why they are TUV approved/MOT-able and produce predictable handling. Dont f**k around.

One thing that you should replace when you fit a suspension kit is the bumpstops and make sure they are cut down so they give you some travel. makes a big differnce.

11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

GSF - shocks = 111 INC Vat

springs and dampers -60mm?

anyone beat 111?

12. LiamG Forum Member

errr, maybe

i want some fk coilies but im like 600 too short [:^(]

13. Mikey Forum Member

Remember that if you cut the springs down you'll increase their stiffness too & they won't be matched to the dampers. Best bet would be to buy the specifically lowered springs of the drop you require or save up for coilovers

Mike