Recomend me ECU please

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by sambo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

The Emerald can also do adaptive self-learning for the fueling. Tell it the target AFR for any given site and it will generate an offset map of what's needed in your fueling map to achive that, right mouse click on the relevant adjustment sites and it will adjust the fueling map automatically, or continually adjust itself automatically over time, if it's in self-learning mode.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Only useful info I can add is,the Haldex has it sep. controller as you know, which is communicated via Can Bus signals. Only 'aftermarket' ECU I know about with this feature is the Bosch Motorsport

Sam, you can have 2 maps on your ECU from factory, I run the 2 on my TDI when playing / learning with various maps and having 2 ECU's it's a simple chop and change :lol:
    you do of course have to get laptop out switch maps, ignition off and then drive [:s]

Of course you don't really have many options for outputs. One thing I have thought about but not looked into yet, is using another one of the factury actuators thats been deleted which are run off the a map as an output

simlar to using the output for EGR/ EVAP (carbon canister) outputs in duty cycled form

of course a lot of the race like features you want, won't come on OEM managment unless its a feature of the car

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Unfortunatly your required functions need something with in this price range.

Could you not consider getting the laptop out and switching between cals and add some sort of stand-alone to control launch control or flat shifting without skewing the comms between the haldex, ABS/traction controller and engine control?

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting read, thanks

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Dont you have to mess around deleting immobilisers with diff oem ecu-s Chris?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Quite difficult to find any aftermarket controller for launch control and flat shifting that will work with DBW throttle body and 4 pin coilpacks, unless you know of something Toyo?

7. James V Forum Member

Have you had a look into the KMS systems? KMS/Devil Developments very popular on the continent, and Lee is a brilliant mapper, should be able to sort you out a sensible system at a reasonable price, it's what I'm probably going to end up running (though i have no need for half the functions) unless I can find a sensibly priced DTA/Motec fuel/ignition ecu secondhand anywhere, as I'm able to get a good price on it as the guy who's building my 9A is good friends with Lee, also Matt who as far as I'm aware supplied Paul Bargates cams etc...

8. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

It might be worth speaking to Eurodyne in Canada before moving away from ME7.5. I believe they are able to offer most or all of the features you are looking for with some of their maps for standard ecu's or with their Maestro 7 tuning tool which allows you to use your oem ecu much more like an aftermarket model.

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds very interesting:thumbup:

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Seems like Emerald K6 with dash mounted triple map switch is a winer so far

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

K6 isn't on sale yet:

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

I'd wait until it is, otherwise you'll get K3 firmware, which means RS232 comms instead of USB, like me.

You get good telephone support from Dave Walker himself, i would take it to him for the final RR session myself.

Not sure if it does DBW tho.....K3 doesn't seem to.

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

How will you coordinate torque to control the other vehicle features though.

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Not bothered about DBW, i can get a big cable operated throttle body

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

What do you mean Toyo?

Haldex control, traction etc?

Tc can be taken care of easy, as for haldex i'v found a company in Holand offering independent controllers with numerous options, full FWD or rear dialed in from 10% to 50% which is great, alot faster acting then standard as well

15. jkm jim New Member

Emerald is a good ecu for the money, but at present is not very flexible.
    I map Emeralds ever week and have found its limitations, but also have had great success with the K3 and K6.

If your pockets are a little deeper and want the car to run like factory, i would use a Vi-Pec V44 or V88. Best and most flexible ecu on the market in my opinion. You can control what ever you like with these ECU's :thumbup:

16. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Now this is a proper ecu!

Thanks very much for recomending this, it is deffo on my short list now, even tho its a bit pricey:thumbup:

Reading through features it looks like it will be able to control haldex without to many problems

Just spoke to a dealer in buckinghamshire and he confirmed this

Have you any experience of V88 on 20vt? Or maybe anyone trying to operate haldex with it?

If i go with this ecu can i assume you are the man for mapping of it?:thumbup:

17. boostedgolf Forum Member

18. jkm jim New Member

I take it you spoke to Mark at MAD, He knows his stuff and will give you great support and back up.

I am about to run a V44 on my own mk2 golf 1.8t track car, but i have run a Vi-pec plug and play board (same as V44) on my old skyline for a couple of years without fault.

Most of the vi-pec's i have tuned have been on Jap stuff. but we have done a couple of cars using the V88 and DBW with great success! had a couple of little bugs in the beginning, but all sorted now.

Some people are running the Haldex from the vi-pec, but it does involve same wiring mods to the haldex unit. It would work abit like the controller you talked about earlier.

Vi-pec's are made by Link ECU for Ray hall, was the same hardware but i have be told the Vi-pec's now have a couple more features than the Link. Both great bits of kit and I map both makes:thumbup:

Jim