Redrilling wheels - has this guy found the limit?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by A.N. Other, Sep 13, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hc-animal Forum Member

and another note. i have been hillclimbing a mallock for years with no spigot rings on the back and not had any problems. the tyres are super soft and lots of 6000 rpm and dump the clutch starts.

on my caddy i run lancia wheels with a 58.1 centre bore and no spigot rings and they centralise themselves providing you do them up in the correct way. i get no problems from them and have done 15000miles on them so far

so thats 2 people with real life experience of not dying without spigot rings.

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Sorry to drag this back up but I thought I'd share my recent experience with wheels-

I've recently bought a set of 4x100 15" alloys, with a centre bore of 73mm off Ebay & bolted them straight onto my Mk2 with no spigot rings, making sure that the wheel nuts were properly torqued up.

At 50mph the car nearly shook itself apart, having read this thread I decided that before getting the new wheels balanced I'd try a set of spigot rings (10 for four plastic jobbies off Ebay) I fitted them, refitted the wheels & hey presto no more vibration at any speed.

Whilst I'm no engineer & understand nothing about engineering principles what I can say is that without doubt the spigot rings appear to have cured the wheel vibration which I can only assume was caused by the wheels being fitted off centre in spite of the nuts being correctly torqued

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Honest opinions on these please, the red dots are the original 4x100 but the wheels have had 4x108 drilled into them.

Just bought these which were advertised as 4x100 so I'm confused as to whether or not I've bought something I shouldn't have (Well I have in a way as they were not advertised as redrilled)

Do they look ok?
    What about safety?
    Balancing etc?
    Does it devalue the wheels? They were pretty pricey as they are 'scene rare'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I have redrilled wheels probably worst than that on a the front of a drift car, it gets smashed about an old runway and has bent a steering arm from sideways full lock into a pothole but yet no damage around the wheel stud holes, but if there was an imperfection in the casting between the two holes it could cause trouble, its a big but thou.

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Also no idea why they where drilled that way, seems very silly, mine where from 5 to 4 stud so two are very close. If you do go with them clean the powdercoat out of the bevels as its been known to work wheels bolts loose.

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im no expert but for piece of mind I would abort on this set and continue the hunt, especislly if the seller did not disclose the redrilling of the wheels.

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

It's quite obvious why they were done like that, due to the centre cap mounting point.

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Woops, I read it wrong thought the bigger holes where the redrills which could have been moved a fair few degrees clockwise. still would have been better to take some meat off the cap mounting to spread them out alittle more.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Cheers for the input lads. I've had a mate who's an engineer have a look at them, he reckons they are absolutely fine, from the front it looks like there isn't much between the two sets of holes, but obviously with the countersinks, there's plenty of meat behind and it does look like a decent job.

I took them to be balanced and they are all spot on, the guy also gave his opinion saying they are fine. Just never been a fan meself, more peeved off that they weren't advertised as such!

Does it devalue them at all? Or actually make them more sale able with being ford fitment as well?

Neil.

11. thegave Forum Member

Advertising them as multi-fitment will probably make them easier to sell. Or, you could do the same thing the seller has, in which there's technically nothing wrong, and possibly command a higher price.

So up to you.